“All good, but shame about the monkfish!”

The Cafe - Porlock Weir
Ranked #1 of 3 Porlock Weir B&B and Inns
“All good, but shame about the monkfish!”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here on the Travelzoo £99 DBB deal. Superb location, and the room we had was excellent with an awesome sea view. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. The only downside was the five course seafood taster menu - four courses and a dessert. Whereas the food was really tasty and well presented, there really wasn't too much of it. In fact the fourth course, I was expecting the main course, was the smallest piece of monkfish I've ever had. My partner doesn't eat seafood and, to their credit, the staff and chef went out of their way to provide her with excellent alternatives. However, overall, I'm pleased I didn't have to pay the full price for the meal. Breakfast was very good witout being stunnung.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Taunton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We booked a 5 course taster meal with accommodation from Travelzoo, back in July, our children had bought the experience as a Father's Day present. On our arrival the receptionist showed us to our room, which was a dark room at the back of the hotel, the only window looked out onto a brick wall a few feet away, the on suite was in a corridor with the toilet one end and the hand basin the other.

I went back to the receptionist and said I was very disappointed with the room, as the other rooms had lovely sea views and it transpired that all the other guests were on the same travelzoo deal. She said the rooms were allocated on a first come first serve basis and this was all they had left when I booked. I said if she had told me back in July that the only room left was a dark room at the back of the hotel with no view I could have picked a different date. She said there was nothing she could do about it and became quite hostile when I said I didn't like the room. I suggested that she give us a refund and we would go home. She said she was unable to do this.

We decided to put this behind us and went for a drink in the local pub . On our return the receptionist stopped us and said she had been thinking about it and she would now give us a refund. I said as we had both had a drink we would be unable to drive home, so we would have to stay now.
We went to our room and changed for diner,as we were about to enter the dining room the waitress stopped us and asked us to wait in the corridor. After some time waiting the receptionist explained that the cook, I struggle to use the word chef as this implies a professional,would not provide us with our meal, even though we had paid for it some time ago. He was upset that we didn't like the room so refused to cook for us.

We contacted our son, who lives over an hour away to come and collect us.

We got in touch with Travelzoo and they were appalled when they heard how we had be treated. They looked into the whole matter getting both sides of the story. They were extremely apologetic and gave us a full refund and said it has then been passed to their senior management to deal with as they have never had this happen before and they were considering making the owners go on a customer service course if they want to be recommended by Travelzoo.

Room Tip: Don't complain of they won't cook your diner
6 Thank Pat388
andrew d, Owner at The Cafe - Porlock Weir, responded to this review, 6 August 2015
Thank you for your review we remember very well your visit and we would like to say that we have never been talked to in the manner that you talked to us on that day in all our years in the catering industry..
we remember very vividly the scalding you gave your husband for booking the wrong room, and in fact when the booking was made all rooms were available but on the day of your arrival we were actually full and we could not move you into another room. our web site and all third parties booking sites clearly state that this room has no view and is at the rear of the building. On booking the room your husband would have seen this.

The reason that you were asked to leave was the fact that you were very rude and abusive from the moment you walked through the door and you told us before you even set foot in the dining room that you did not care how good your dinner may be you would make sure that the review you were going to write would be the worst ever. There was obviously no point in going any further and in an ideal world you should have left on your own accord as you stated while you were ranting at your husband.

There is always two sides to a story and for once an innocent hard working couple can have the right to reply to some seriously untrue accusations.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at this wonderful hotel last weekend unfortunately only for 1 night. The location is idyllic and the hotel is simply lovely and before checking in we had a look round the lovely Porlock village. We had the most spacious Allerford room which had wonderful sea and bay views and the double bed was simply dreamy. Our visit included the 5 course seafood taster menu which was truly scrumtious and the wine flight was purchased alongside as a welcome treat. After a blissful nights sleep we were treated to a delicious full breakfast before exploring properly. An absolute must is to download the Porlock trails app to your Smart phone- detailed in the little shop. We went on 2 wonderful walks using this app with a pit stop at the Ship Inn for lunch. The walk from the Bossington NT car park is an absolute must and beware Holm Oak woods. A fabulous break away and one we will be repeating for sure.

Room Tip: The Allerford is lovely and had an amazing nights sleep
1 Thank Blondie3767
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

The Cafe is in a fantastic location! The peace and quiet and the view over the water are superb. The hotel staff are friendly and welcoming. The lounge and dining room are fabulous. The food and drink are excellent...even if you are not a lover of shellfish. The Dunster room we stayed in, while comfortable, has a rather unusual but quite serviceable en-suite bathroom. We enjoyed our stay here and would have no hesitation about a return visit and recommend this place as a great get-away break.

Great Torrington, UK
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We also took advantage of a Travelzoo offer and had a night at the Cafe. Our room was lovely and comfortable and unusually had 2 armchairs so we could enjoy the view over to Wales. We found the seAfood meal a disappointment with only 2 of the 5 courses to our taste but it would not stop another visit to try other things. The breakfast was terrific and the staff were friendly and helpful. Would recommend,

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Took advantage of a Travelzoo Offer which included Seafood Dinner with overnight stay and breakfast. Would recommend The Cafe without hesitation and would certainly go back. Extremely friendly staff who made us feel very welcome. Nice surroundings and very comfortable room. Superb Seafood Dinner, every flavour could be tasted and the attention to detail with the accompanients to each course was incredible. Excellent breakfast, my porridge with drambuie and caramelised bananas was to die for!

1 Thank Elizabeth A
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Arrived yesterday to this hotel. We had prepaid through our agent.Sour reception and unwelcoming. Had asked for early breakfast and was told I had been telephoned and a message left saying breakfast was at 08.30. If I wanted something earlier they could leave me a sandwich outside my room!!!! I pushed back saying I wanted breakfast and not a sandwich and she sighed and said that would mean the staff having to get in early and Did I really want her to ask the chef to do that!!!!! I asked her to do that and she said she would give me an answer at dinner that night( we had pre booked a table). We sat in our plain and poorly styled room and decided not to stay. When I left she told me that the chef had agreed to do breakfast at 08.00. I told her she should attempt some customer service in their offering.

The hotel had scaffolding up at the entrance and we ate there years ago when it traded as Andrews on the Weir and now under the same ownership trades poorly as the cafe. I wonder why???

Telling everyone I know to avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porlock Weir
#6 of 18 in Porlock
Sea View Bed & Breakfast
Sea View Bed & Breakfast
#11 of 18 in Porlock

Been to The Cafe - Porlock Weir? Share your experiences!