“A little less than it makes out to be”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn

The Royal Oak Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Royal Oak Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$11 - US$35
Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A 200 year old historic inn nestled in the heart of the wonderful Hampshire village of East Lavant, The Royal Oak restaurant, pub and rooms is renowned for its high quality food. Close to Goodwood Park and Chichester, The Royal Oak is very popular with those seeking a real taste of the British countryside in chic surroundings. Attractively appointed in keeping with the original old building but contemporary at the same time, The Royal Oak is comfortable and buzzy with warm service and an upbeat atmosphere. Offering English and modern European classics with a twist, The Royal Oak���s menu includes both main meals and light bar snacks, all made using local, seasonal ingredients.
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

We went as a family at 6.30 on a Monday night with no one else in the restaurant and we hadn't booked. Initial service was a little frosty with table 9 being allocated to us but needed it back by 8 (which was fine). However we were pointed to the table and found it ourselves. Having said this, the restaurant is very inviting with a relatively select menu. Note there are no kids meals but they do smaller portions which are reasonably priced and very good quality. I had the steak burger which I found very disappointing. A cooked burger in a standard burger, fries (in a mug), bit of salad, toms, gherkin and sweet onion relish. My wife had the Halloumi salad which was great. The cider battered haddock and chips was superb. Service was reasonable with a standard service charge added. Price was around £31 a head without wine and no starter or dessert.

All in all lovely little pub and location. I can't help feeling its trying too hard to be something it isn't.

royalsarah, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Sir

It was great to have you eat at the Royal Oak on Monday and we very much appreciate your review. There were however a couple of items we'd like to correct. Your total tab for 8 Guests including two children was £168.70 making the cost £21.00 per head including vat. This cost included 5 glasses of wine, 4 of which were our house sauvignon and the other a viogner, plus 4 pints of beer. Actually it seem quite reasonable!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

You can tell it's really a restaurant when you look at the prices on the menu - main courses hover around £15, and this view is confirmed when they add 10% automatically to the bill. For those on a pub food budget, they offer a 2-course lunch for £16.95. That's not cheap either (you can get two courses in a Michelin-starred restaurant in London for £18.95), but the food is excellent. We had whitebait (good, not at all greasy) and gazpacho (nicely spicy, cold, with a few chopped vegs in the centre) followed by cod on crushed potatoes with young broccoli (cooked to perfection) and fish and chips in cider batter (again, cooked to perfection) but served with a pile of leaves (unnecessary and wrong) and tartare sauce (wrong again, although there is ketchup if you ask for it). Wines were disappointing, house rosé at £5.90 for a 175ml glass was dull, not crisp and dry like a pinot grigio should be (and like it is in my local caff), the pink prosecco was at least different but rather sweet and at £6.50 for 125ml no bargain. House white was a pleasant Sauvignon Blanc for £4.95 from Chile. Service was pleasant, unobtrusive and prompt. But 10% service charge? Definitely not a pub.

1  Thank Ricky3D
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My partner booked a table for my birthday on the 13th July, I don't know if we were unfortunate because it was Festival of Speed Weekend but we had a starter and main within an hour of being in the restaurant, as soon as the starter was finished the main was in front of us. The starter was absolutely amazing, I had the scallops and my partner the Terrine. For the main I ordered the duck with a dauphinoise puree potato, the duck was completely dry, I wouldn't have been able to eat it if it hadn't had the sauce on the plate and as for the potato, it was so thick it was like a suet pudding. Its such a shame, I was really looking forward to being taken out for a nice posh meal and I feel that we were rushed and it wasn't very relaxing. Its not as if the restaurant was heaving, it was busy but not busy enough to lose the customer care. I would try again but wouldn't choice a goodwood weekend, I'm hoping we just a one off, I'd heard such great reviews.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Had dinner here a month ago. Looks great from the outside, perched on a hill. Very tasty, well presented, reasonably priced, nice menu. Mishmash furniture but stylishly decorated. Service okay but some of the staff could show a little bit more dedication.

1  Thank tripper40
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We have visited this place twice now and, as we live on the Wirral, we consider the Royal Oak a 'must' when we visit the south coast...

The pub itself is stunning - great location and tasteful decor throughout. Good selection of local and national ales and an excellent range of other beverages. It is dog friendly, with a dedicated area in the restaurant for dining (us, not the dog!). Which brings me onto the food: it is top notch. I had the trio of quail starter followed by the lamb served on wilted greens with a jus - faultless and the other three members of the party were equally satisfied. One of us ordered a selection of starters as opposed to a main which didnt cause a problem. Price wise, it is above average for this sort of food (i.e. pub) but the quality is that of a high class restaurant so entirely appropriate. Cracking place.