“nice lunch however lots of flies !!!!”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn

The Royal Oak Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Royal Oak Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A 200 year old historic inn nestled in the heart of the wonderful Hampshire village of East Lavant, The Royal Oak restaurant, pub and rooms is renowned for its high quality food. Close to Goodwood Park and Chichester, The Royal Oak is very popular with those seeking a real taste of the British countryside in chic surroundings. Attractively appointed in keeping with the original old building but contemporary at the same time, The Royal Oak is comfortable and buzzy with warm service and an upbeat atmosphere. Offering English and modern European classics with a twist, The Royal Oak���s menu includes both main meals and light bar snacks, all made using local, seasonal ingredients.
London, United Kingdom
“nice lunch however lots of flies !!!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Enjoyed a nice lunch with family,however pub was full of flies which was abit off putting when trying to enjoy a meal.Meal was quite expensive and portions are quite small, all the food was well presented but we did have an issue with the flies and wasps which were constantly around our table.
The cheeseboard was very mean and for £10 inc 4 very small pieces of cheese, lots of apple slices and a piece of chutney, very disappointing compared to the usual cheese board you can get.
A nice meal in a nice pub but too expensive and not good value.

1 Thank sue c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food good, but no value for money”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We have regularly come here as a treat when staying down for Glorious Goodwood and once again decided to book a table here after Racing.
It's one of our favourite places to go to in the past but this time unfortunately we felt we hadn't had a meal deserving of the price.
It's 4 star food with 5 star prices and though i'm sure we paid extra to what prices usually are due to Goodwood being on, it was still a real disappointment.
Main courses started at nearly £17 and altogether our bill for two, which included just a starter, main, bread, water, coffee for one and two rounds of drinks, came to nearly £100. My main grudge was being charged £4.20 for a pint of Coke which is simply quite ridiculous and you just get the feeling they are there to take as much as they can from you.
All in all I don't think we'd go again i'm afraid as we found places which did better food around the area and for far more value.

Ringsted, Denmark
“A little less than it makes out to be”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

We went as a family at 6.30 on a Monday night with no one else in the restaurant and we hadn't booked. Initial service was a little frosty with table 9 being allocated to us but needed it back by 8 (which was fine). However we were pointed to the table and found it ourselves. Having said this, the restaurant is very inviting with a relatively select menu. Note there are no kids meals but they do smaller portions which are reasonably priced and very good quality. I had the steak burger which I found very disappointing. A cooked burger in a standard burger, fries (in a mug), bit of salad, toms, gherkin and sweet onion relish. My wife had the Halloumi salad which was great. The cider battered haddock and chips was superb. Service was reasonable with a standard service charge added. Price was around £31 a head without wine and no starter or dessert.

All in all lovely little pub and location. I can't help feeling its trying too hard to be something it isn't.

royalsarah, Owner at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Sir

It was great to have you eat at the Royal Oak on Monday and we very much appreciate your review. There were however a couple of items we'd like to correct. Your total tab for 8 Guests including two children was £168.70 making the cost £21.00 per head including vat. This cost included 5 glasses of wine, 4 of which were our house sauvignon and the other a viogner, plus 4 pints of beer. Actually it seem quite reasonable!
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant food in what used to be a pub”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

You can tell it's really a restaurant when you look at the prices on the menu - main courses hover around £15, and this view is confirmed when they add 10% automatically to the bill. For those on a pub food budget, they offer a 2-course lunch for £16.95. That's not cheap either (you can get two courses in a Michelin-starred restaurant in London for £18.95), but the food is excellent. We had whitebait (good, not at all greasy) and gazpacho (nicely spicy, cold, with a few chopped vegs in the centre) followed by cod on crushed potatoes with young broccoli (cooked to perfection) and fish and chips in cider batter (again, cooked to perfection) but served with a pile of leaves (unnecessary and wrong) and tartare sauce (wrong again, although there is ketchup if you ask for it). Wines were disappointing, house rosé at £5.90 for a 175ml glass was dull, not crisp and dry like a pinot grigio should be (and like it is in my local caff), the pink prosecco was at least different but rather sweet and at £6.50 for 125ml no bargain. House white was a pleasant Sauvignon Blanc for £4.95 from Chile. Service was pleasant, unobtrusive and prompt. But 10% service charge? Definitely not a pub.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ricky3D
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
“Such a shame :-(”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My partner booked a table for my birthday on the 13th July, I don't know if we were unfortunate because it was Festival of Speed Weekend but we had a starter and main within an hour of being in the restaurant, as soon as the starter was finished the main was in front of us. The starter was absolutely amazing, I had the scallops and my partner the Terrine. For the main I ordered the duck with a dauphinoise puree potato, the duck was completely dry, I wouldn't have been able to eat it if it hadn't had the sauce on the plate and as for the potato, it was so thick it was like a suet pudding. Its such a shame, I was really looking forward to being taken out for a nice posh meal and I feel that we were rushed and it wasn't very relaxing. Its not as if the restaurant was heaving, it was busy but not busy enough to lose the customer care. I would try again but wouldn't choice a goodwood weekend, I'm hoping we just a one off, I'd heard such great reviews.

• Visited July 2013