“Cosy, welcoming country pub”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn

The Royal Oak Inn
Price range: US$10 - US$33
Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A 200 year old historic inn nestled in the heart of the wonderful Hampshire village of East Lavant, The Royal Oak restaurant, pub and rooms is renowned for its high quality food. Close to Goodwood Park and Chichester, The Royal Oak is very popular with those seeking a real taste of the British countryside in chic surroundings. Attractively appointed in keeping with the original old building but contemporary at the same time, The Royal Oak is comfortable and buzzy with warm service and an upbeat atmosphere. Offering English and modern European classics with a twist, The Royal Oak���s menu includes both main meals and light bar snacks, all made using local, seasonal ingredients.
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

Really impressed - welcoming team, broad menu, strong wine list.

The lovely Bromley hand wash in the loo. What’s not to like.

Seriously, well worth a visit.

Cheese plate is particularly good.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Great food and perfect service

Fabulous decor with ample seating

Large menu at very reasonable prices

Highly recommended

Reviewed 17 December 2017

Booked here for my birthday on 12th December. Decision was made as we had eaten several lovely meals here over the past few years.
I would like to point out that I am not in the habit of making poor reviews - my history will confirm this. I would also like to say that the waiting staff were charming and I have no issues with them. Copied below is an e-mail I sent to the restaurant midday on the 13th December. As of today 17th December, I have had no response to this e-mail. This meal plus 2 glasses of wine and a soft drink was just shy of £100.

Good morning,
I would just like to let you know about our meal experience last night.
Firstly, all the waiting staff who served us were delightful.
It was my birthday and we selected your restaurant as we had previously had delightful meals with you.
I selected:
Crispy duck egg
Cod and salmon fishcakes
Runny honey and apple cake

My husband selected:
Celeriac and William pear soup
Shin of beef
Affogato

My comments are:
I would have expected the duck egg (with a runny middle) to be served hot. It was tepid at best, which made it rather unpleasant to eat. Obviously if the egg had been hard boiled, this temperature would have been fine.
One of the fishcakes had a bone in it about 5cm long (I absolutely hate bones in fish). Other than this, I really enjoyed the dish.
Apple cake – would have expected it to be soft and moist. It was not. The consistency was best likened to biscotti. I am not sure whether it was intended to be served like this, or if it had been cooked/microwaved for too long. The underlying taste was that of slightly burnt sugar. It was not particularly nice.
Overall my husband enjoyed his meal, but the beef shin was only just warm enough. We did not make comment or complain on the night, as we did not want to further spoil our evening.
I was about to make a report to Trip Advisor, but felt this a little unfair, as I had not brought up our issues with the restaurant.
The point of this e-mail is to let you know the issues we had and hopefully help you avoid them happening with other customers.
Based on last evenings experience, we would be very hesitant to use your restaurant again, or recommend it to friends and colleagues. Such a shame.

4  Thank STrimmer
Richard M, Manager at The Royal Oak Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Hi Mrs. Mr. Trimmer,
I am sorry to see you have written this review on Tripadvisor as you had mentioned you were quite hesitant to do so...
Although we have been quite busy lately with Christmas bookings and inquiries, I did manage to respond to your email on the 16th December (one day before this review was posted)
I had addressed the issues that you both unfortunately experienced as we do strive for quite high standards and that evening we apparently let ourselves down.
As mentioned in my response email to you, it is very difficult to rectify issues if they are not brought to our attention right away. The staff on duty that evening had checked up on your table throughout the evening and remembered clearly that there were no comments made and all the plates were brought back clear. You both were a pleasure to serve.
Our offer still stands, and we would love for you to come back and enjoy a glass of bubbly on us.
It is always upsetting for our team when there are issues which lead to our customers having an unenjoyable evening. I hope we get the chance to have you back and make up for the disappointing evening you had experienced.
Warm Regards,
Jenn Green
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Popped in for dinner on a cold December evening, we received a warm welcome and the staff made our dog welcome also.
Old world charm with a few modern touches, very comfortable and easy to relax within.
Swift service for drinks and taking our order, starters arrived promptly and were cooked perfectly with good sized portions and tasty. Drinks, local beer excellent and extensive wine list for those that want it, Malbec was good.
Main course arrived promptly, lamb excellent and beef superb. Vegetables a little sparse, but side dishes available and would recommend ordering a few if you're very hungry.
Followed by a steam pudding from the specials that evening and a cheese board, both very good.
Definitely eat here again, great service and food excellent overall, left us wanting to try the wider menu.
Note it's not a large dining area and you might want to book for peak tines/days, otherwise you may face a wait or disappointment.
Summer looks promising here, with plenty of outside space and lovely location for a walk, before lunch/dinner.
There are rooms here for overnight stays, we didn't get to check those out.

Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

Went to this little pub before a football match.
As we are away fans we were not sure on the kind of welcome we would get.
Most fans and all pub staff where really nice and polite.
We did have a couple that did not want us their but hey ho we filled their local with cash.
Drinks and snacks were reasonably price and they also did filled rolls.
Toilets were clean and tidy and they had a garden area.
Very close to the Charlton ground.
Would recommend this little pub.