“My favourite eat in Chichester - still”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn

The Royal Oak Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 East Lavant B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is one of many meals I have eaten at the Royal Oak, I have been here with friends, family, business colleagues and sometimes even on my own - every time has been a good time. I was a little surprised to see some reviews suggesting that things had slipped as I can honestly say that I have never had a bad experience here.

I love the setting and the menu which is seasonal, I know they source produce locally and I like the fact that food quality seems to be important to them. I had a superb best end of lamb on Saturday night which I washed away with a superb pint of ale.

If I had to criticise any area of my experience, I would suggest opening the doors and fitting fly screens in the new dining room to get the air moving as it was just a triffle stiffling, but by no means worthy of a complaint!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Welcome was amazing Charles couldn't have been more helpful, our knight in shining armour! Food and service was exquisite
Mulberry cottage was beautiful, will definitely return may even bring husband, just so he can pay!!!!!
Thank you so much.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The location of the Royal Oak is chocolate box-pretty, quintessentially English. The bar is cosy with beams and a fireplace but also has a lighter conservatory area for the restaurant, making the balance between light and dark just right, the only shame was that more local ales weren’t available…otherwise it would have been perfect. The staff are very friendly & polite going to great efforts to please – especially Katja.
We stayed in the Mulberry cottage which was well equipped but perhaps a little pokey – no open plan here – which is fine for a cold, rainy afternoon but probably less ideal for the height of summer. You can wander straight from the pub on lovely walks up to the Trindle…these were all the positives.
However my stay was somewhat sullied by an altercation with the owner. A surreptitious addition of corkage to our Sat bill (from Friday night), having seemingly agreed to waive the charge really left a bad taste in the mouth. Perhaps asking for £20 of corkage to be waived is too much when spending close to a £1000 for the total stay, afterall we all have to try and make a profit these days, but it was more the aggressive manner in which the whole thing was conducted that really wound me up.
Furthermore it wasn’t like everything was perfect: the food was ok, but given almost London prices are being charged I think it was disappointing, breakfast in the morning was generally excellent except that any chef that cant get boiled or poached eggs right...and, despite asking twice, our rooms in the cottage weren’t made up during the day…
So I would definitely return here due to the location, staff and cosiness of the bar but it is the minor details and touches that really make a place top draw and I think they are missing here – it interests me that the most recent reviews all highlight a slippage…unfortunately, once you have read these it becomes all the more noticeable…and an over-controlling owner probably doesn’t make things better.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I must agree with a previous comment ‘The Standards have dropped’. Our table was booked for 7.15pm, we were greeted and the waitress took our orders so we waited near the bar with a pre-dinner drink. About 8.00 we were shown to our table, the starter of olives and bread was brought to the table along with our main courses? The food was excellent as usual but the service was lacking that little extra that had been there on previous occasions,

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We spent 2 nights at this lovely inn. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the food excellent. We had room 5 which had a 6` bed, was of a good size with a spacious bathroom, plenty of hot water and nice toiletries. The complimentary water and chocolate awaiting us in the small fridge were most welcome! As this room is at the front of the house above the restaurant it has the potential to be noisy but we didn`t find this when we were there midweek.
The one grumble from my husband was that there was no local beer available, the only cask on offer was a flat and lifeless Doombar from Cornwall.
This is not cheap but "you get what you pay for"!!

Room Tip: Room 5 appears to be the best, there are 3 in the main building, the rest in the couryard. I would t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyGAxbridge
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We really enjoyed our one night stay at the Royal oak, the accommodation was fine, and aspects of the food were excellent, but......its not quite the 5* experience the marketing material would have you believe. To deliver the excellence to which the inn aspires, a number of things have to be fixed:

- The partridge on the partidge risotto was almost inedible (the risotto itself was excellent)
- The bottle of red wine was served well below room temperature; it too, once warmed up by the 3rd glass, was also excellent
- The room was clean and well presented, but the extractor fan in the en-suite made a terrible din and could be turned off independently......a relaxing bath in the dark or a noisy one with the light on.

Lastly the rooms in the barn face directly on to the back of the Inn....not a problem....but having the staff stood outside chatting on their smoke breaks,,,,not so good,

I would recommend the food and the accommodation.....but with some reservations...

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I was a first time dinner to the Royal Oak and had an enjoyable evening, while the oak is in a beautiful location I would be unsure if it was worth its one rosette.

The service we recived was fine but nothing to special, we made a few requests and these were not possible for example could we have some extra green olives, answer not possible as they come mixed, does this mean the are bought in ready mixed, saying his though the bread and olive starter was nice, the mussel starter again we asked for just a wine sauce without the cream and again not possible so the same thoughts went through our heads.

Main courses were all enjoyable we had one pork special, one pork head to toe and a sea bream, the sea bream appeared to be in to much sauce but was enjoyable and they were all perfectly cooked.

The service we experienced was ok but nothing to write home about from a rosette restaurant, our wine was never topped up when our glasses became low and the same with the water. The wine was most enjoyable and well chosen for the menu, we enjoyed a bottle of Malbec and a bottle of Pinot Grigio with a bottle of sparkling Blu water.

Coffees were enjoyable but served with an after dinner Malteeser not so sure again of the rosette.

Would I return on overall reflection not sure, the pricing is at the top end and the service was nothing to write home about when asking for small changes which for an experienced rosette style chef should I wold have thought been enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Chichester Park Hotel
Chichester Park Hotel
#5 of 8 in Chichester
Travelodge Chichester Central

Been to The Royal Oak Inn? Share your experiences!