The Royal Oak Inn
  • Breakfast included
Crouchers Hotel(Chichester)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubflint cottagewine listthe cottagesfor sunday lunchspecial weekendfillet steakwhitebaitweekend breaksea bassa lovely place to stayfresh milkunderfloor heatingpretty villagetop qualitybiscuitslovely break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had a very nice time during our stay at The Royal Oak in East Lavant. A great location if you're looking for a nice little hide away to escape to for the weekend. My husband, 2 year old daughter and I stayed in one of the rooms in the converted barn. Although compact it was perfectly fine for us. The room was well catered for, fridge well stocked including a few decent bottles of wine too! Which we eyed up but having a toddler makes for early morning starts so we thought better of it. However we did splash out on a tasty lunch with friends. Pork burger washed down with westons cider followed by peach tartin. We also had a family dinner (the owner/manager was very hospitable and looked after our every need including making our table for dinner available early so we could eat with our daughter and he found colouring pencils and paper to keep her occupied too!). Overall a lovely indulgent weekend in the country. And ignore earlier reviews about corkage issues etc. the owner was very clear this only applies to those patrons who wish to open bottles of wine brought in from external sources, so if you have a rather large private cellar and bottles worth several hundred quid, I'm sure you can afford a £20 corkage fee no problem! Staff are young and eager to please but still learning the ropes. The waiting service is just something that will improve over time. Enjoy your stay and stop sweating the small stuff!

Room Tip: It's a small outfit with a couple of rooms and a couple of cottages so book well in advance as its a very popular place. Great pub dining and well stocked bar. Wish it was my local.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Had dinner here last week. Pretty country pub with cosy interior and pleasant, attentive staff. The food was good on the whole - my husband's scallop starter and pork main were excellent; my whitebait was good and the confit of Gressingham duck was also good although a tad dry for my taste. Can't really comment on the dessert menu as we only had local ice cream, being too full to attempt anything more substantial!

I do have a few quibbles though. Firstly the service - a bit too quick for our liking. It is nice to be served speedily but I feel that most couples on a night out would prefer to have a little more time between courses than we were given - being given the main course 5 minutes after finishing the starter was a little too rapid for us, making us feel a bit rushed. Also, some of the tables for two are far too close to the larger tables. We had to move our table a few inches to the right when the couple at the next table arrived so that they could actually pull their chairs out far enough to be able to sit down - fortunately the table to our right was unoccupied otherwise we would have felt somewhat hemmed in! Some kind of insect screen over the open door would also be a good idea - great to have the fresh air on a warm summer night, but it would be better minus the flies.

All in all though a good, although not inexpensive, place to eat to which I would be happy to return.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GiantpandaKirchberg
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We spent a couple of days here, so we could go to the theatre at Chichester and it was just lovely. A small room, beautifully presented, with an excellent bathroom and powerful shower. My Husband has walking problems and they couldn't have been kinder or more helpful, even though they were very busy. We had two excellent meals, both very generous and with lots of local produce. But it is expensive - the room was very overpriced, but then the area generally is expensive. Breakfasts were very good and thoughtfully prepared. Much more suited to a summer stay rather than during poor weather, as you have to walk outside to reach room and there is a hazardous slope from the road. Fortunately, there was help available to carry bags etc., Very pretty garden and a wonderful field at the rear with a peaceful bench. All in all a very happy stay at this high quality pub / inn.

Room Tip: Rooms are smallish and access is not easy. Space is at a premium, so masses of luggage is a mistake. Ask their advice, they are very helpful.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is one of many meals I have eaten at the Royal Oak, I have been here with friends, family, business colleagues and sometimes even on my own - every time has been a good time. I was a little surprised to see some reviews suggesting that things had slipped as I can honestly say that I have never had a bad experience here.

I love the setting and the menu which is seasonal, I know they source produce locally and I like the fact that food quality seems to be important to them. I had a superb best end of lamb on Saturday night which I washed away with a superb pint of ale.

If I had to criticise any area of my experience, I would suggest opening the doors and fitting fly screens in the new dining room to get the air moving as it was just a triffle stiffling, but by no means worthy of a complaint!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Welcome was amazing Charles couldn't have been more helpful, our knight in shining armour! Food and service was exquisite
Mulberry cottage was beautiful, will definitely return may even bring husband, just so he can pay!!!!!
Thank you so much.