“Lovely getaway in the Sussex countryside: tradition meets modern with great results”

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cuckfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was treated to a Sunday night stay and spa day for my birthday recently. My husband had booked a spa suite, in the new spa building, which was definitely worth the extra. The rooms in the main old hotel building are lovely in a very traditional, country house way, with bags of character, four-poster beds and creaky floors. However, they can seem dated or tired depending on which you get. In the very contemporary spa building, the rooms are lovely - spacious, modern, clean, beautifully laid out with amazing large bathrooms and a lovely semi-private outdoor area which would be great in the summer.

The spa treatments aren't cheap but they are lovely, as are the women who pamper you there. The one caveat with the spa is that sometimes the reception staff are not on the ball as much as you would hope - tables are cleared slowly, rubbish and used towels are left to accumulate. It's a shame, as this is the only thing which prevents this spa being perfect

The Michelin-starred restaurant did not disappoint - very good service and excellent food. The bar is cosy and friendly, and according to my husband, they make a very good martini.

Only one gripe - while we were there they were working on resurfacing the drive and car parks, which are in need of repair. We didn't mind the mess, but I did object to not being told that they were going to close the spa carpark while I was there. But for a chance conversation at the spa reception and the kindly intervention of the spa manager, I would either have been trapped in the hotel for another night or forced to move my car in a spa dressing gown! Not good communication.

Room Tip: The spa suites are worth the extra - large, beautiful and indulgent. plus super convenient for the s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Crowborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Friendly staff, great rooms, superb food and the spa is fantastic.
We stayed on a Saturday night to have he taster menu.
They kindly upgraded us and we used the spa on Saturday afternoon. The gym equipment is good and the spa (sauna, pool etc) is superb. We sat in the outside hop tub and had glass of champagne.
Dinner was fantastic as you would expect. We had a bottle of wine that was reasonably priced and followed this with a port and dessert wine for the cheese and desert course. The staff were happy to recommend what to drink to accompany the food.
Breakfast was good and we used the spa again even though we had checked out.
A real treat but the staff and facilities makes you feel special.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Copthorne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Was lucky enough to be taken to the restaurant at Ockenden Manor by some business friends for dinner recently. Everything was great! The hotel was warm, cosy and inviting and all of the staff did all they could to look after us all with delighful grace and charm! The food was absolutely superb and whilst the wine was chosen by our host, they were both on recommendation of the sommelier and were excellent. The lounge we had pre dinner cocktails in and where we retired to for coffee was extremely comfortable and welcoming. All in all an extremely pleasant evening with some friends made even more special by the wonderful food and service we experienced.

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the hotel living only 14 miles away, but I would thoroughly recommend the rest...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed with 8 friends for my sisters birthday. Booked the Sunday night offer which included dinner, b & b, full use of spa. We paid a bit extra and stayed in the spa suites which were fabulous. Dinner was fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. Spa was lovely, the only downside was the treatments were so expensive.
I would highly recommend staying here and hope I can return again soon.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Positives:
*Spa rooms very nice indeed. Comfortable and well furnished. outside seating area would have been lovely if weather had been warmer
*Short walk downstairs to spa facilities
*Hotel restaurant very good. Delicious supper and good breakfast
* Surrounding countryside beautiful and easily accessible without having to go out in car
* Excellent gastro pub at end of Hotel drive 'The Talbot' great food and nice atmosphere
* Spa treatments good
Negatives:
* Swimming pool too cold
* Hot food served in Spa not up to standard you would expect or indeed hope for. Panini cold and burnt. sent it back-shouldnt have been difficult to cook well!
* Milk and water jugs not regularly replenished in spa area. Often no clean tea spoons. Bin full of used cups
* Louisa on Spa reception rather charmless. No offer to help with bags etc. All seemed rather an effort for her
* Telephones on reception poorly manned. Had to ring for ages before they were answered

Room Tip: Choose a spa room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lou_227
Londra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We spend one saturday night here, trying to get away from London. Suggestion - do not drive out of London around midday on a saturday. It took us nearly 4 hours! Which means we missed out of daylight hours to enjoy the walks around the hotel or the spa, which looked stunning albeit a fair walk from the main building. The rooms we had were on the ground floor and were pleasantly furnished, nice bathrooms, comfy beds but with strange differences. Our parents' had 2 biscuits left, our cookie jar was empty. Our tv was double the size of theirs. We had an aperitif in the lounge before our dinner and the service was great. Professional and friendly throughout. Dinner was as good as one would expect from a Michelin star restaurant, staff knowledgeable. Just odd that, despite booking over a month ago, we were given the table in the corner, with no view and quite sidelined position. At breakfast the next day we were given the same table, which was a shame, as a bit of view would have been enjoyable. Breakfast was, for us, a huge letdown especially considering the high standards of the main meals. Good on fresh orange juice, fresh fruit salad, decent selection of cereals, but bland, dry pastries (croissants, anemic pain au chocolat) and quite poor choice of proper breakfast. The 'Full Grill' had ONE sausage! I had scrambled egg and smoked salmon which was fine, but really quite miserable looking, the plate too large which made the portion look tiny. Worst thing was the toast. Straight out of a supermarket packet, so disappointing after eating fab bread at dinner the night before. For the price one pays for the room, this is not good.
They allow dogs in the ground floor rooms (at an extra £10) which is great which means we could take our dog with us yet dogs aren't allowed anywhere indoor in the common areas: i understand the restaurant, but the lounge? And there are no dog poo bins / rubbish bins in the grounds, nor the staff has any clue how to dispose of dog bags.
The village is very pretty full of beautiful old houses and a picturesque church and churchyard. Good for a weekend break.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Haywards Heath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I checked into the hotel for a child free break and to relax and unwind. When I arrived the hotel had lost my booking and had no record of me staying even through I had conformation email and they had taken my deposit, as a result I didn't get the feature room I had booked and they put me in a suite. lucky the hotel wasn't fully booked or I would be writing a different review!

All the rooms are named and I stayed in the Merrick Room: The suite was a large size with a separate living room and balcony looking over fields, there was no TV in the bedroom which is ok but I do like to relax and watch TV in bed in the mornings. The bed was a double with firm mattress.

the bathroom was disappointing, the shower is over the bath and you can't stand up in it as the ceiling is too low, the shower is also not powerful and more like a light rain. This was the biggest niggle for me as I love a good shower and one of the main reasons I booked the feature room was because it had a walk in shower and the suites don't.

The bathroom could also do with a good clean as mould round the bottom corners.

Breakfast was lovely and cooked fresh to order.

Spa was great, the outside hot tub did wonders for my hangover although my only negative comment would be again and cleanliness, the girls showers had mould in them and paint peeling.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nancy_clarke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuckfield
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
BEST WESTERN The Birch Hotel
BEST WESTERN The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath

Been to Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!