“Food to rival La Manoir”

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cuckfield
Cheshire UK
“Food to rival La Manoir”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have stayed at the hotel previously and the service is consistently excellent. Three of us had supper in the restaurant and I have to say, this time the meal was sensational. We all had different first courses, main course and pudding and with out exception, we were stunned by each dish, hats off to the Chef!

The rooms are lovely, clean and elegantly furnished. If I was to make a suggestion, it would be reference the hot water, it is so hot, so quickly from the tap, that it is easy to scold yourself. I would suggest thermostatic mixer valves to set the temp or at least warning signs near the hot water outlets, to save a possible accident with a child, elderly person or some one with sensory disabilities.

Overall an excellent stay and we will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I am very fussy about spa's and have visited a few and as a day spa it's absolutely wonderful. The facilities are top notch the food is lovely and the staff are incredible. Nothing is too much trouble and they do everything to make you feel welcome. I have 2 niggles 1. children should not be allowed in a spa, 2. There is a door from reception to the outside needs a soft close on it as there are comfy sofas next to the door and the door bangs like crazy. However these are very small niggles and I would definitely return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Purley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Spoke to someone at this pompous hotel today with a view to booking rooms for my daughter's wedding next year, June 2015. Was told I would have to pay, the FULL amount now if I booked the suite and 6 rooms. Excuse me! It's nearly a year away. So they would have my money for all that time and make interest on it. Also, would I get it back if we had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances? Of course not! Avoid it like the plague!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Brian W
OckendenManor, Manager at Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
To confirm individual reservations we have for many years required the 1st night as a deposit and your statement is incorrect regarding refunding cancellations, Our cancellation policy is 4 days prior to arrival and we will automatically refund your deposit.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my wife booked the hotel through a spa package to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. In my view the level of customer service at the hotel, restaurant and spa really sets it apart. It was a sunny day on our arrival and we managed to enjoy a walk in the beautiful surrounding countryside. The spa is modern and facilities state of the art and we thoroughly enjoyed lounging around the many outside areas. We had dinner in the Michelin star restaurant and opted for the taster menu. The food was good, but the star of the show was the caramelised lemon tart with blackcurrant sauce. We were very pleasantly surprised when the final dish arrived on a happy anniversary plate as we might have said that it was our anniversary only once or twice in a passing conversation.
Would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a weekend break for dinner, B&B at over £400 per night. The dinner in the hotel is good, the spa is lovely, but everything else about the hotel is ramshackle.

The decor throughout the hotel is shabby. We had to ask to change rooms after finding that our first "suite" was two dingy rooms joined by a hotel corridor, all of it up in the attic which meant that you couldn't stand up in it. The carpet was more fitting for a cheap B&B, and there wasn't even a shower. I would be embarrassed to offer that room in any hotel, let alone one that styles itself as luxury.

Our second room was much better, but for the price paid you expect attention to detail. This was lacking - no iron, only one bathrobe, broken toilet roll holder, cheap coffee facilities and only one biscuit provided! The "antique" fittings would be ok if they weren't broken and in poor condition.

The staff are clearly non-professional low wage employees, which reflects really poorly on the management of the hotel.

The last observation relates to Sunday breakfast - the hoovering doesn't need to be done at 9am just outside the dining room.

This hotel is expensively cheap - it's expensive, but does everything on the cheap. We won't return.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank acm72
OckendenManor, Manager at Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your review, I am disappointed that you didn’t enjoy the Thomas Suite; this suite is in the oldest part of the house and is accessed by its own stairs onto a private landing with the bedroom, ensuite on one side and the lounge from the other. I am pleased that you enjoyed your dinner and that you found the spa lovely.
The hotel is constantly undergoing refurbishment and we have a planned program. Within the Tudor part of the building several rooms are bath only.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had our wedding at Ockenden a few days ago and it was fantastic. All of the staff helped to make our day amazing. Annie, the events organiser, was an absolute pleasure do deal with in all the preparations and on the day. She was very easy going and accomodating. Nothing was too much trouble. All the staff were very professional but very friendly too which made for a very relaxing day. The venue is absolutely stunning with incredible distant views of the south downs, beautiful gardens-our photos are beautiful as a result! There is a gorgeous spa which all the wedding guests staying at the hotel could use until 4pm the day after the wedding. The food was outstanding! We wanted for nothing!!! Can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Southend on Sea
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my husband and friends as part of the Sunday DB&B deal and had a fabulous time from start to finish.
Our room was smallish but had a lovely modern bathroom with gorgeous cosmetics. My main regarding the room would be the heat! It was stifling so a fan might be a welcome addition.
We all loved the food. Dinner was amazing as was breakfast the next morning. I would go back for the dining alone.
The spa was really nice but this is where I get a bit picky I'm afraid! I found it a bit dirty on the Sunday afternoon.... There just weren't enough staff collecting used crockery, glasses & plastic cups. The ladies ran out of loo roll and the cups weren't replenished next to the water jugs. The used robes and towels were spilling out of the bin all over the changing room floor. The issues seemed to have been solved by Monday so either more staff or different staff. I enjoyed Monday at the spa much more.
Sorry to be so down on you Ockenden but everything else was perfect, the spa just needs some more attention.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank andi_wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuckfield
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Best Western The Birch Hotel
Best Western The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath

Been to Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!