“Spa Day. Shaky start but they turned it around!”

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cuckfield
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

A little hiccup at the beginning when I called to book for treatments based on their minimum spend of £120 inc spa use, our treatments came to over £245 but the receptionist wouldn't let us book and said we have to spend exactly £120 or over each so I spoke to the general manager and explained how I couldn't understand why we couldn't book when collectively our treatments are over the minimum spend, he agreed and apologised and the spa manager called back to take our bookings. I understand some young staff don't quite have the ability to think on their feet or think outside the box due to inexperience but you do expect more from an establishment like this. HOWEVER the day we turned up they offered us champagne (which we changed to smoothies as we had drank the night before!) to apologise and the spa was lovely as were the treatments and the therapists both Ellie and Martine were very professional and explained the treatments and were very knowledgeable more so then many other places I have been to and you didn't feel like you were on a conveyer belt. A little annoying that children are allowed in the pool if you want a quiet adult day, not sure if they are restricted to certain times. Lunch was nice, perhaps a little small, more small and regular than regular and large but overall had a lovely day with great treatments and we will definitely visit again :)

Stayed: August 2014
There are newer reviews for Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I went to Ockenden Manor with my mum and we had a wonderful time! The spa is fantastic, I had a massage (although quite expensive) which was one of the best massages I had ever had and was well worth the price! The service was great and our room was so spacious and quiet!

The spa was so great, the steam room and sauna are really large and were very quiet when we were there. We also appreciated the complimentary coffee and fruit tea at the spa!

The food in the evening was wonderful and there was plenty of great options to choose from.

We stayed in a room above the spa and we had a terrace that looked out over the outside pool, unfortunately when we stayed the weather wasn't very good so we couldn't sit out there but it would have been lovely if the weather was better!

I would 100% recommend this hotel and spa, and hope to return in the future! A wonderful weekend away!

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the spa, they are new and really modern and spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HarrietLouise2014
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We visited Ockenden Manor using the spa first. Indian head massages to die for, with exceptional and attentive staff. Then used the rest of the Spa facilities, which were excellent. Very clean and comfortable. Then to end what was a perfect afternoon we dined in the restaurant. The service was first class, we listened to the recommendations and ordered accordingly and was the best decision. The food, ambiance, staff, service , nothing could be faulted We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and restaurant.Totally amazing, we will be visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have stayed at the hotel previously and the service is consistently excellent. Three of us had supper in the restaurant and I have to say, this time the meal was sensational. We all had different first courses, main course and pudding and with out exception, we were stunned by each dish, hats off to the Chef!

The rooms are lovely, clean and elegantly furnished. If I was to make a suggestion, it would be reference the hot water, it is so hot, so quickly from the tap, that it is easy to scold yourself. I would suggest thermostatic mixer valves to set the temp or at least warning signs near the hot water outlets, to save a possible accident with a child, elderly person or some one with sensory disabilities.

Overall an excellent stay and we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I am very fussy about spa's and have visited a few and as a day spa it's absolutely wonderful. The facilities are top notch the food is lovely and the staff are incredible. Nothing is too much trouble and they do everything to make you feel welcome. I have 2 niggles 1. children should not be allowed in a spa, 2. There is a door from reception to the outside needs a soft close on it as there are comfy sofas next to the door and the door bangs like crazy. However these are very small niggles and I would definitely return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Spoke to someone at this pompous hotel today with a view to booking rooms for my daughter's wedding next year, June 2015. Was told I would have to pay, the FULL amount now if I booked the suite and 6 rooms. Excuse me! It's nearly a year away. So they would have my money for all that time and make interest on it. Also, would I get it back if we had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances? Of course not! Avoid it like the plague!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Brian W
OckendenManor, Manager at Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

To confirm individual reservations we have for many years required the 1st night as a deposit and your statement is incorrect regarding refunding cancellations, Our cancellation policy is 4 days prior to arrival and we will automatically refund your deposit.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my wife booked the hotel through a spa package to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. In my view the level of customer service at the hotel, restaurant and spa really sets it apart. It was a sunny day on our arrival and we managed to enjoy a walk in the beautiful surrounding countryside. The spa is modern and facilities state of the art and we thoroughly enjoyed lounging around the many outside areas. We had dinner in the Michelin star restaurant and opted for the taster menu. The food was good, but the star of the show was the caramelised lemon tart with blackcurrant sauce. We were very pleasantly surprised when the final dish arrived on a happy anniversary plate as we might have said that it was our anniversary only once or twice in a passing conversation.
Would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuckfield
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club
Cisswood House
Cisswood House
#2 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!