“Pleasantly surprised - fantastic in every way.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa

Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cuckfield
London
“Pleasantly surprised - fantastic in every way.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I recently returned from a weekend stay at Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa and can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who may be searching for a relaxing spa hotel break away.

As my first choice (Dormy House in the Cotswolds) only had availability for one night, I opted for Ockenden Manor as it had a room available for the entire Bank Holiday Weekend and was convenient to get to from London (only 45 minutes on the train from Victoria or an hour from Blackfriars, followed by a 10 minute cab ride from the station). I've found this to be of utmost importance lately when booking a relaxing weekend away - the stress of long train journeys or getting to a station that's in the opposite corner of London simply counteracts the stress-free, relaxing qualities of a weekend away, so I was glad to see that Ockenden Manor was easily accessible.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel itself, the spa and the food. Upon our (early) arrival, we were informed that we had been upgraded to a junior spa suite and encouraged to relax in the spa and grab some lunch whilst our room was being prepared. After lunch, we had a luxurious swim in the hotel's beautiful indoor and outdoor (connected) heated pools and sat in the sauna and jacuzzi for some time (the steam room was broken, unfortunately, during our stay) before being shown to our beautiful room, which opened up onto the spa's roof terrace.

We dined in the restaurant's Michelin-starred restaurant that evening and were blown away by the quality of the ingredients as well as the innovative flavours and textures used to create the dishes. At £56 per person, it's a menu to be taken seriously, but the experience itself was well worth it.

Service was attentive and friendly throughout our stay; staff really made us feel as though any request could be accommodated (we enquired about the price of late checkout and were graciously offered a complimentary late checkout and full use of the spa for hours after we had checked out, for example). But that's not to say that our stay was without its tiny little glitches: our bin in the bathroom had not been emptied after the room was made up each day, I asked for milk to be sent to my room for tea but then had to call again when it didn't arrive for 20 minutes or so, etc.). I wish that the hotel would provide robes and slippers in the rooms as well, as that's always a wonderful touch that I've enjoyed at other spa hotels I've stayed at - not to mention a better quality hair dryer (always my complaint!).

Having read a few negative reviews here on Tripadvisor, I must admit I was slightly dreading my visit, but I couldn't have been more pleased. I'll definitely be returning in the near future for a second stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Clara suite, which was absolutely gorgeous. Beautifully decorated, with its own lit...
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Angloyankophile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Henfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed for a romantic anniversary break in your four-poster bedroom. Surrounded by history, your unique manor house evokes all the magic of the past whilst providing the services of the most modern of hotels. The food is of the highest standard and the chef cooks every menu choice to perfection. So enjoyed your spring water Spa Facilities...being able to swim in the large indoor pool and then outdoors in heated water was just perfect! And the Gym, Sauna and the Jacuzzis, inside and outside and......there's so much more.....just loved it all! Thank you.

Room Tip: If you want to experience the history of the Manor, choose a bedroom in the oldest part....it can be...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked the hotel and spa as a surprise last year and we enjoyed it so much that when I wanted to be pampered again on bank holiday weekend I came on my own.

The staff a very helpful and smiley (hotel & spa). The treatments were fantastic (I had the ila experience) and they managed to find me a room and book a spa treatment even though I phoned on the Friday and checked in on the Saturday of a BH weekend!

Scones and clotted cream were yum and the fact that the hotel is set in the Downs, makes it a wonderfully relaxing and beautifully escape!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rastin
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed for three nights in the Ockenden Manor recently and can only recommend the hotel. We had a very nice big room and they were more than Gracias when our daughter joined us for Part of the stay.
The staff is extremely Hospitale and helpful be it at the reception, the restaurant or the SPA which is certainly the best we have seen in GB so far. Treatments were very good.
We had two dinners and the Cuisine is memorable. Extraordinary scallops. Also the wine selection is extensive and the recommendations of the sommelier to our taste and complete satisfaction.
We will come back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank NirakMunich
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

A lovely Afternoon Tea in very pleasant surroundings.
We would have been better off with a slightly bigger table though as things were a little squashy although the waiter did bring a second small table over to help.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sandra c
brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Spent a relaxing day at the spa with a friend. Great treatments, great pool, jacuzzi, hot tub and more - really well maintained and clean throughout. Outside pool particularly nice - just the right temperature.Will return soon.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed for two nights, bed and breakfast. The hotel is old and atmospheric. The common parts are reasonable, but some money could be spent upgrading some threadbare sofas in the sitting room. The garden is interesting and quite well maintained.

On the first night we had dinner. The food was excellent (better than the previous time that we had been to the hotel), and the wine list had some good, sensibly-priced wines. The waiter service was very friendly and courteous, but inexperienced (I like ladies to be served first). The dining room, itself, is pleasant. The breakfast in the dining room was good, with a decent variety of both cold (self-service) and hot food. The coffee was not a high spot, however. The breakfast in bed was 'fine' but rather minimalist.

Now for the 'buts'. The room (supposedly 'superior') was quite small and very tired. The furniture was poor quality and most of it could have done with replacing. The lighting was poor. There were no bedside radios. The windows needed repainting. The bathroom had a water-damaged floor, the shower needed replacing and the plunger for the sink did not work (and the hotel did not get this fixed over the two days of our stay). Tea, coffee and biscuits were provided, but I did not fancy the biscuits one I had seen them the next morning being replaced from an open container on the floor in the corridor. For this, we paid a bed and breakfast double room rate of £265 per night. Not good value for money. In fact, I would go further and say that the accommodation at Ockenden Manor is substandard and substantially over-priced.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank NastyTern
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuckfield
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Felbridge Hotel and Spa
Felbridge Hotel and Spa
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,196 reviews

Been to Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!