“Warm, comfortable and cosy”
Review of Wheatsheaf Inn

Wheatsheaf Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Cuckfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We arrived at The Wheatsheaf after a very cold night under canvas and it was a warm and comfortable haven. The rooms are small but the beds are comfortable and the room clean, cosy and - most importantly - warm. Breakfast was good and the staff were welcoming and accommodating. The pub below is classy and recommended for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel was clean and tidy, however a little dated, i.e. old furniture and a bathroom that could do with a refresh, and a better shower sadly. Also the tv was quite small, approx the size of a laptop screen, if these changed it would be a much better hotel room, then again for the time I was there it did the job.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have sloping ceilings
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I have reviewed The Wheatsheaf on several previous occasions, but have just stayed again, and see no evidence of the previous reviewers complaints. Spotless room as always, great breakfast. Lively local community, but I have never experienced any problems with any of them! Looking forward to my next visit in a month or so.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jay D
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a place to avoid at all costs, unless you are desperate. The rooms are cramped and in our case not very clean with hair being found in the bath and sink. The toilet failed to flush on several occasions. The door lock would not lock from the outside and I would be unsure if the lock would hold if forced. The noise from the road outside prevents a good nights sleep.
The welcome was nice and pleasant from the member of staff. However the locals to the pub resent having to move aside when guests with bags have to pass by. Their language leaves a lot to be desired as well, with the staff not caring on this matter at all.
Definitely not good value for money.

Room Tip: This location should only be used if a substantial discount is available
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I love this pub!
Food is outstanding with an atmosphere to match.

I always enjoy my visits here and my only problem is what to have to eat as everything looks, sounds and always tastes delicious.

Cannot recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We went for Sunday Lunch with our
Daughter quite by accident whilst looking for somewhere to eat in Hayward's Heath not knowing the area at all. What a lovely surprise we had to find The Wheatsheaf. Wonderful meal charming staff we look forward to going again in the very near future! Highly recommend.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have stayed at this B & B twice, each time for a week. Only once did I hear noise from the pub and that was on Christmas Eve. Noise was a concern before my first visit but I was not disturbed at all which is surprising because the pub is very busy. I found my rooms very comfortable and clean although the first single room upstairs had a shower that was useless as a stand under. This was because of the roof eave making it impossible to locate the shower at a suitable height. There are several chefs and I think this is why another reviewer found quality varies, however, nothing is too much trouble and the staff are very friendly with a special mention of Sheila. I think I know who the grumpy staff member mentioned in another review is, maybe grumpy is the wrong word but he doesn't have the personality suited to be front of house. Overall the atmosphere is very good. I have taken a point off because I found the wifi non existent in my first room and very hit and miss in the second one. Wifi elsewhere in the pub is excellent. I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: If wifi is important in the room choose carefully, likewise do not choose room 8 if you like to show...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuckfield
Best Western The Birch Hotel
Best Western The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
The Hickstead
The Hickstead
#1 of 1 in Bolney

Been to Wheatsheaf Inn? Share your experiences!