“Double booked and cancelled at last minute - very unhappy” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Damson Cottage

Damson Cottage
Ranked #5 of 7 Lacock B&B and Inns
Lincoln
“Double booked and cancelled at last minute - very unhappy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Thought I should write a review. I had booked this B & B in April for a family gathering in Lacock in July. Although the original booking was made on - line, I phoned and spoke to Dilly to confirm and arrange payment.
On June 27th, Dilly called to say our rooms had been double booked. The mistake had been made as we booked on - line when she was out of the country. I reminded her that we had spoken to each other on the 'phone at the time of the booking.
She felt she had to cancel our booking as the other party was a wedding party.
She had made alternative arrangements with another B & B and said she would pay the difference - if there was any.
I was to look at the other B & B's website to see if I liked it - which I did.
I said to Dilly I would take her up on the offer of booking the other B & B and paying the difference.
At this, she then withdrew the offer of paying the difference. She said she would pay £35 towards it instead, leaving us an additional £28 to pay.
Dilly has paid the money into my bank account but I felt we were shabbily treated by Dilly.
I felt she had taken a later booking for all her rooms and had decided to cancel ours.
Promising us full payment of the difference and then withdrawing it, was also very unprofessional .
Just be warned that she will cancel bookings at late notice.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Harry2blue
WiltshireBradley, Owner at Damson Cottage, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
I am really sorry that you feel I had not done enough to help to sort out a problem with your family's visit. I called as soon as I realised that a double booking had occurred. Giving you almost 3 weeks notice. I spent the morning making sure you had accommodation booked. It was not a decision that I took lightly to move your booking. I have three rooms and it was not because I wanted all rooms sold that I had to move your family. I could not move the wedding party as there were not enough rooms available to book for such a large party. So I offered you B&B to the same standard as mine however they are in the centre of the village and have had a price increase this year. I did offer to pay some part towards the cost if the B&B costs were higher I did not say I would pay for the total price. So my offer was not withdrawn. I hoped the £35.00 offer that I transfer directly into your account would be taken as gesture of good will.As I really did feel upset that I had made this mistake. I have been running the B&B for over 10 years and this is only the second time that this has happened, It really was not my intention to "make more money" or ruin your trip to lacock I take great pride in the fact that guest enjoy staying with me and I am very sorry that you feel so let down.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

My traveling friend & I had the pleasure of staying with Dilly & James in May, 2013. We were merely looking for a place to sleep, but came away with the most memorable part of our trip to England. Our stay in Lacock was pouring rain & cold--very un-spring for us--but we had nothing but a warm (temperature & atmosphere) place to return to. I wanted my novice traveling friend to come away with a feeling of English history & lifestyle - that wish was fulfilled with Dilly, James & the village of Lacock. Oh, and by the way, I was served my first ever double-yoked egg. I had heard of them but had never seen one. That was how the experience was--full of unexpected and delightful surprises.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this beautiful cottage for over eight months due to a professional work assignment, and could not have stayed at a more delightful place.

The warm welcome and wonderful hosts made this experience that more special, and I also had the opportunity to meet other guests who were staying at the cottage.

Simply, the cottage has to be one of the most idyllic locations to visit and without doubt a lovely B & B to stay in. I was very said to have to leave, and for anyone wishing to visit the area this had to be the place to stay. James and Dilly are wonderful hosts, so I hope you pay a visit if you are in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Teddington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

My friends and I recently stayed one night at Damson Cottage. It is a situated on the outskirts of Lacock Village. Very peaceful and quiet with a delightful garden to relax in. Dilly, our host, was a lovely warm character who has clearly thought carefully about the needs of her guests. The house is very pretty, comfortable and spotless. The rooms are spacious and light. And the breakfast I can honestly say was one of the most delicious I've ever had.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Used as accommodation while attending a family wedding in Chippenham. Friendly and helpful service, with adequate breakfast. Good off-road parking. Lovely short walk along a tarmac path to Laycock, where you'll find a small selection of pubs.

The only strange thing was being asked to remove our shoes (which were clean) by the host as soon as we arrived. Found this a bit strange given the grubby state that the bedroom carpet was already in!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed at Damson Cottage with my parents , en route to Dorset . Absolutely lovely time , so much so , booked on our way back north also , just pleased we secured the last room . A lovely start and end to our holiday . Dilly is a wonderful host , as is little Lola the Daschund ! Super breakfast to start the day , very nicely furnished comfortable rooms , great nights sleep and beautiful location . A real gem . Short walk into Lacock village which is truly idyllic . Recommend Sign of the Angel for a terrfic dinner .

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
St. Louis Metro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

This was a great visit to a beautiful cottage. I was working out of the archive in Chippenham, and this seemed like a great alternative to being further out. It is located just a short walk from Lacock, a beautiful little village. Dilly (the hostess) is very friendly and made the absolute best eggs on toast I've ever had. Lola the little doggie is a welcome friend to have during your stay, such a sweetie! It was just a great stay all around.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lacock
The Red Lion
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Corsham
Shaw Country House Hotel
Little Notton Farmhouse

Been to Damson Cottage? Share your experiences!