“Perfect B&B perfect breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Damson Cottage

Damson Cottage
Ranked #5 of 7 Lacock B&B and Inns
Surbiton
“Perfect B&B perfect breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed with our Pride & Prejudice tour and Dilly is the perfect hostess. Charming rooms, a wonderful B&B and SO clean

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank HenryDW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

I was very surprised to see the previous review from Jill7983 on Damson Cottage. I just visited this lovely family B&B on Easter Weekend- the fourth time I have had the pleasure. As usual I received an incredibly warm welcome from Dilly and her family- as the title indicates I really feel this is home from home. Dilly always goes out of her way to make us more comfortable- giving us tea on arrival, advising us on local restaurants and making us feel like part of the family. Last weekend it was a gorgeous day and my husband and I spent a lot of time sunbathing in the gardens.

We stayed in our normal bedroom which is a large double with big country cottage windows- although I have stayed in the twin room with my sister and also found this room very comfortable. The room is clean and bright and next door to a big fresh bathroom with a good powershower- which I have learnt you cannot always expect outside of London!

The real selling point of Damson Cottage however is the breakfast! My husband is a real fan of a full English breakfast and this is the place to find one. The sausages and bacon are all sourced locally and the eggs come from the cottages’ own free range chickens! There are definitely no corners cut with this breakfast- you will be full for the whole morning. To keep my waistline in check I normally try and opt for the continental breakfast one day and this is also really nice with a variety of cereal/ toast/ croissant options. There is also homemade marmalade which you can take away with you!

I think that Lacock is a really special village. It has a great deal of history and beauty as well as several good places to take long walks, eat good food and drink nice wine. This is a perfect place to go if you want to get out of the city and really unwind. Damson Cottage itself is truly the perfect place to stay if this is what you are looking for. It is not a clinical white walled hotel- instead it has authentic country charm- unbeatable!

See the cottage for yourself- http://damsoncottage.2day.ws/

Cleanliness
2 Thank FoxPhoto
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

While Damson Cottage has a lot of potential, it misses the mark by a long shot! Where to start?! The state of the outside of the building is a mess. It was not well kept and there were pieces of lawn furniture in disrepair. The inside of the house is worse. When you walk in, there is no doubt that there are pets in the house. The smell is overwhelming. When we walked in, the kitchen was filled with laundry in various stages: folded towels and sheets were stacked on tables and there was a pile of dirty laundry piled on a bench. This laundry stayed in the same spot during our entire 2-day stay. Outside our bedroom, there was a vacuum with a partially unrolled cord that also stayed where it was for our entire stay. The carpets were filthy, so I don't think that the vacuum was ever given much of a workout. The door to our room had no latch and no lock. You did not need a doorknob to open the door, you just pushed. My mom and I had to put a backpack up against the door at night to be sure the door stayed shut. The room itself was dirty and rundown. The owner was actually cleaning out cabinets of things that had been left by the previous occupant as we were bringing our bags in. The room was so small that my mom and I had to coordinate who would get up and walk around when because there was not room for both of us to be up. The mattresses were cheap and well past their prime. The walls were dirty and had splatters of who knows what in various places. There were places where paint was chipped and there were a bunch of picture hangers with no pictures that had been painted over. The pictures that were in the room were oddly spaced and did not match. The glass covering the frames were dirty and seemed to have been splattered with whatever was splattered on the wall. Breakfast was awful! We opted for the lighter continental breakfast, as we had during our entire time in Europe. We were given old cereal, yogurt that had sat out so long it was too warm to eat and orange juice that was horrible and watered down. I never thought I was picky about bread quality, but the toast we had was really bad! To top off our dining experience, the family dog sat at the side of the table and cleaned its butt! We were so disgusted with breakfast that we decided to get breakfast out the next day.

My mom and I were in England, France and Ireland for 3 weeks. We stayed at a total of 9 places, both hotels and B&B's, during our stay, all in the same price range. Damson Cottage, was BY FAR, our least favorite. London is notorious for having small, cramped hotel rooms, but our room in London was at least twice as large as our room at Damson Cottage. The size was not as big an issue as the lack of cleanliness. We also found the family very unwelcoming. I would strongly recommend finding other accommodation while in Lacock. If you are unable to find available rooms in the town itself, it would be better to stay in one of the nearby towns and drive in to Lacock. Don't, whatever you do, stay at Damson Cottage! When I was booking our room, I could not find a review about Damson Cottage and relied on the honesty of the pictures on the website. I felt a responsibility to warn others about how horrible the place really is!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
9 Thank jill7983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lacock
The Red Lion
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Corsham
Shaw Country House Hotel
Little Notton Farmhouse

Been to Damson Cottage? Share your experiences!