“"The Rising Sun" has a lot of rising to do!”
Review of Rising Sun

Rising Sun
Ranked #6 of 12 Restaurants in Lacock
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: European, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Set on top of Bowden Hill with magnificent views across the South Wiltshire countryside and just outside the picturesque National Trust Village of Lacock this Traditional Oak Beamed Pub is the 'quaint essential' English Country inn. Fast building it's reputation for excellent home cooked food using fantastic Local Produce whilst still providing 'Good Traditional Pub Fayre' This is a Must try place. Offering Great choice of Real Ales from the Popular and Local 'Moles' Brewery in Melksham and with those magnificent views you really must give us a go! Roger & Kay look forward to Looking after you!
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We visited this pub last Thursday- me, my husband, the Baby and our parents. That was our first visit and will certainly be the last. I had liked the location of the pub and the views as I was passing by it one day and I was really looking forward to a visit. Well, where can I begin?? The barmaid did not have a clue about what the dishes were, she could not recommend anything and kept asking for help with answers to my questions the Very Uncaring/Unhelpful LandLady/ the Manager (?). The Mole Beer was served cloudy, the mash was salted too much, it was cold and it was far from being smooth. We had waited for our meals for about an hour- this is considering the pub was not busy at all. Me and my mother-in-law tried to exit the conservatory to the garden via one of its doors, because it was too hot and bright to sit in there and the blinds are only on one side of it. The door was locked, the Unhelpful Lady (the Manager?) was sitting a step away from us, watching our efforts, talking to someone, not bothered at all to help out. When I asked if we could walk out that way, she said we had to go via the pub exit, because the conservatory door was locked! Apparently, "people leave that door open and the conservatory gets cold". You couldn't sit in the conservatory that lunch time, it was boiling and you'd had to squint your eyes constantly! Then our Dad tried to go through carrying drinks and she did not even bother to help him open the door! We were not impressed!

2  Thank PhilandC2
There are newer reviews for Rising Sun

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Whoever wrote the last review must be insane! The bbq that was served to us on Saturday was brilliant. Unfortunately the gourmet burgers had sold out by the time we arrived. They must have been very popular! I have also been here for Sunday lunch and also an evening meal. Absolutely stunning views with great food to match. Well done to all that make this pub truely wonderful.

chris_haslett, Manager at Rising Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

thank you so much for your great review. We did receive great feedback from our BBQ so we would call it a success. We also regularly receive great Feedback from Sunday Lunch so it was great to hear you also enjoyed your meal. We know how hard it is to please everyone but never-the-less we shall continue to keep trying !!. We really hope we shall see you again very soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I visited the Rising Sun for lunch with my wife and daughter and endured a very disappointing lunch. The pub is located in a beautiful location overlooking Lacock but the BBQ served was practically inedible.
We ordered two 'gourmet' burgers and a hotdog with a side order of potato salad and chips. The burgers had been pre-cooked and then had not been barbecued long enough so the texture of the burger was soft rather than being chargrilled and crisp. The hotdog was passable but, all the food was served in vial polystyrene burger boxes that McDonalds had phased out 25 years ago as they are so bad for the environment. The potato salad had no seasoning and just seem to be boiled new potatoes with too much mayonnaise.
I would suggest that management of the pub need to take some rapid action to bring the food quality in line with modern consumers expectations. Simple changes like teaching the chef to barbecue properly and doing away with awful polystyrene boxes would be a good start.

1  Thank Bill R

We are sorry if you were disappointed when you visited us on 20th. we held a BBQ for a change as the weather forecast was good for that day. We monitored the feedback from customers and were very happy with the response we received on the day so I am a little surprised to read your comments. The potato Salad you mentioned was particularly popular and we sold loads to people who wanted to take some home as they liked it so much. As for the Cartons, we chose this method of serving as they are insulted and therefore keep food warm for longer. Had you asked us, we would have been happy to provide plates as we did for some others who need to cut up their food. The Gourmet Burger was also popular and customers were asking for the recipe as they said they were lovely !.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We visited the Rising Sun for a meal last Saturday ( 12/4/14 )

What a great night. The Ale from the local Brewery was fine indeed. The food was excellent and we had everything from Grilled Bri to Burgers to Roast Pork and lovely Ice cream to follow.

On top of all that the whole feel and atmosphere of the place was really good, just like a traditional country pub should be. The service behind the bar and at the table was as good as I have experienced. The right blend of good friendly service with smile.

Will cerrtainly be back before long !!

thank you very much for your wonderful review and we sincerely hope we shall have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

In the past this pub had a good name and we could take the dog. Went to lunch on Sunday and waited 90 minutes for the mains. Beef over cooked, Yorkshire pudding burnt on the bottom and roast potatoes dry with black eyes and tasteless. Great shame.

chris_haslett, Manager at Rising Sun, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

We are sorry if your visit with us was not as you hoped it would be. I believe this review has been given by someone who was part of the party who has also given a bad review so my comments to that review would apply to this one too. We delivered 100 covers of food on the day, so I am
please to stated that 99% of customers were happy with their visit to us and that anyone reading this review should bear that in mind.