“When is a bakery open?”

Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
“When is a bakery open?”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Visitied 4.40 pm 17th December 2013

So, on a dark afternoon self and wife went to seek some food, any food, and spotted the lights in the distance which was this bakery. We asked for tea, a simple enough request you might say but the lady behind the counter said with a rather strange and twisted smile, we are not serving tea or coffee any more because we close at five o'clock.

My maths tells me that 20 min remains so why was she so keen to get out of place. It was quite clear that she had started cleaning the coffee machine about 10 min before because there were pipes hanging out of it.

Anyway, we settled for a brown toasted sandwich and my wife settled for a salmon sandwich. The cheese in my toasted sandwich was good as was the bread. The salmon sandwich was barely adequate and she put the filling into one half and took away the other half of bread.

The price of the two were £6.50. This seemed a bit steep but I did not feel like arguing because we were so hungry so we chomped away.

I swear this woman was in a hypnotic trance because she was definitely not there and present for us. The smile was fake, an extension of the muscles of the face and that was all.

There were an awful lot of large pies in the hot container, plus a few cakes, and a lot of jars of preserves along the wall. I'm not sure how much was healthy and how much was not.

We left and I doubt if I will return. Creepy.

2 Thank Brian-Snellgrove

Nailsea, United Kingdom
“Yummy Looking Cakes!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Went to Lacock in a group, wanted to find somewhere reasonably priced to eat. Pub prices were ridiculously high. Checked out the bakery that was open on a Sunday.......lovely selection and reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank LotteryQueen
WEST SUSSEX
“ICE CREAM WAS LOVELY”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Visited the pretty, quaint village of Lacock....did not get as far as visiting the Abbey or Fox Talbot Photography Museum as weather was brilliant... will save that for another year. The bakery sells artisan breads, chutneys, biscuits, olde worlde sweets and ice cream.......I had a lovely mandarin cheesecake tub and my husband enjoyed a candy floss flavoured cone. Staff were very pleasant and dressed in Victorian dress with cloth caps

Visited July 2013
1 Thank KAMYE
Bristol
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sadly Disappointing”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

After a relaxing few hours at nearby Lacock Abbey in late Spring 2013, a friend and I visited the Lacock Bakery for afternoon tea. I am afraid that if we hadn't found it funny then it would have been a poor end to a lovely day. There was just the one table inside which was busy so we headed for the garden. This was very pretty, but disappointingly had just a scruffy wobbly plastic table placed outside the kitchen window. So much more could have been done with a little imagination to make this space into a quaint cottage tea-room garden. The member of staff on duty had perhaps had a kitchen catastrophe but there were few cakes left, our tea took ages to arrive and she was very grumpy. What a shame, I won't be taking any more friends here.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank GwenBristol
“Tea at the Lacock Bakery is a Mob capped misery...”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

If you are looking for tea & cake, avoid the Lacock Bakery.

There is one table inside & another outside in a pretty little patio garden.

We visited on 21/05/13. Service is quite simply so bad it's laughable. Words that come to mind are disinterested, monosyllabic, surly & incompetent. All made so much worse by the fact that the staff are dressed in what appears to be full 18th century servant garb, which includes a huge lace mob cap. The person who served us could barely muster up the effort to speak. We had to work out what was available by asking a series of questions to which the response was mostly 'no'.

Out tea was served (plonked on the table wordlessly) with cream which made it barely drinkable. Service was so miserable & disengaged, we decided against asking for milk to avoid further contact in case it was catching.

If visiting Lacock, try the King Johns Hunting Lodge Tea Rooms where tea, cakes, staff & gardens are wonderful. N.B. closed Mondays & Tuesdays.

4 Thank foxontheroof