“Santa rip off”

Ranked #10 of 12 Restaurants in Lacock
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We decided to take our two girls to see santa. The girls were over the moon. We went a couple of years ago and it cost about 7.99. we thought it was good value as we sent a letter to santa and had one from santa sent to our home. There was the moving animals,Santa,badge, nice toys,little tree and the Raindeer.
This year we had to pay £2 each to supervise our girls and £9.99 each for the girls. For this we got to see santa, get poundland type of toy, tree and badge.
We were very upset at what value it was this year. Shame on you!!
We wont be going to see santa with you again for these prices we may as well go to one of the theme parks that really do make it special.

54  Thank JessyP2013

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Visited 18th December 2013 at 11am

The whole restaurant and garden centre was decked out for Christmas and they really made a very good job of it. Looking at some of the prices though, you would have to be out of your head to buy for example novelty products for £29.99 which consisted of a postcard street scene with the windows lit. Impressive for 5 min but then what do you do with it?

They must be aiming for people with money to burn or who are so besotted with the Christmas spirit they just don't care. However to be fair, I bought a pair of Wellington boots for £16.99 which although lightweight will do the job.

As for the restaurant, I can confirm that rip-off nature of the prices. My wife had a tea, I had a latte, and an almond slice. we were overcharged a pound at £8.25 and the obviously temporary worker had to summon management to give a refund. He 'thought' the almond slice was £3.95 when in fact it was £2.95. I think there were about five mouthfuls. The latte was not made properly; it was just a type of milky coffee.

In addition, I detected a certain preoccupation by this staff of matters other than serving the public. Two servers passed the service area without looking in my direction. Obviously, more important things to do

They were charging premium rates for so-called Christmas lunch and I'm glad I did not stay for it.

Managers, you must be spending thousands of pounds on this centre every month so for goodness sake do your sums and give better value. The public is not stupid. Greed is not good. Greed is shortsighted. Greed does not make you money in the long-term. Greed will not provide a regular clientelle such as people who like to meet for coffee in the mornings.

17  Thank Brian-Snellgrove
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We popped in not realising they currently have a lovely open air skating rink for @£6.99 a session. And of course the Christmas decorations are all on display and there's Santa's grotto. The Christmas displays are beautiful and young and old will enjoy walking through what seemed a bit like a Christmas maze, I'd no idea where we were in the garden centre as I could not get my bearings! The Christmas decorations are beautiful and I doubt many people will walk away without finding something beautiful to buy and at a reasonable price.
We made our way to the very busy restaurant, where we had ham, eggs and chips for £7.99 each, there is no skimping on portions and needless to say our dog has enjoyed her tea immensely tonight!
All in all a really lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Having visited this restaurant and the garden centre for the first time yesterday, the first and the last! Everything is so over priced, and some of the items on sale in the xmas shop were just cheap plastic which you can buy the same in the pound shops! However both my husband and myself thought the restaurant was a complete rip off, we paid £10.26 for two scones with just butter and jam and two cups of coffee, having seen what some people were prepared to pay for a proper dinner leaves us very surprised, is there a recession still! No wonder the garden centre are advertising for you to take out one of their loyalty cards, the prices they are charging is subsidising these cards! Never again!

8  Thank carokay842
Reviewed 26 November 2013

A nice morning out with my 2 year old grand daughter. Decided to make a lantern for Christmas an organised event in one of the buildings. Well organised was a bit of of an understatement 2 ladies put in charge of a lot of tissue paper and glitter and not very amused at the prospect that small people might be wanting help in creating their lanterns ... Shame really they weren't asked when they applied for the job whether they actually liked children !!
Lunch was going to be the next treat of the day .... The queue was extremely slow moving so we had time to pick our 5 items for my grand daughters lunch .... Well I am sure overheads and wages are high but what you actually got for the children's lunch can only be described as pathetic for nearly £5.00 are we expected to except this ?? ... Well after nearly 10 minutes in the queue and still nowhere near the till we gave up ... Shame really as I am sure with a little organisation and thought the restaurant could be a lot more efficient and still make a huge profit ..

3  Thank JacquiB1107