“Lovely Scottish Escape”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Scotland
“Lovely Scottish Escape”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed at the Ballachulish Hotel with my ski club in February 2012. We booked out most of the hotel and got a great deal for the weekend.

This is a fantastic hotel for a mini break and would defiantly recommend it.
Friendly staff and great service. Lovely breakfast and dinner. Nice hotel with beautiful views.

We have already booked up for next year. Looking forward to going back to this lovely escape.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I was a bit dubious about how I would find this hotel as I booked my stay as part of a Groupon deal where the price almost seemed too good to be true for a 2 night stay! However, as soon as we arrived my worries were quoshed!
This hotel is situated right on the shore of Loch Linnhe on the road to Fort William and the views over the loch to the mountains are absolutely stunning. We were allocated Room 224 which is in the "new" part of the hotel, although I would take the "new" with a pinch of salt, it is not that new but the rooms are not dis-similar to what you would find in a Premier Inn, had everything you would need for a short stay - I was impressed that the complimentary tea/coffee included loads of different varieties of Twinings herbal teabags whereas a lot of times you only get Tetley or Typhoo!
We were really lucky as Room 224 has a fantastic view from the window overlooking the loch and mountains which being a cheap deal we did not expect! We watched the sun setting and casting beautiful shadows over the mountains each night of our stay, just amazing!
The main road is right outside the hotel, but we weren't bothered by noise at all even though there were a lot of tour coaches and trucks passing during the day - very little traffic at night.
Comments about creaky floorboards etc from other reviewers are true, especially on the main staircase leading from reception up to the bedrooms, but we had no problem with it in the new building. At the end of the day, you are in an old hotel and creaky stairs only add to its charm! The only thing I would say is I noticed from outside that rooms in the original building had a lot of condensation on the windows.......but again, in the newer wing we had no problems. It has a lovely big roaring fire in the library area that you could go and sit in peace and have a drink, it was very relaxing!
The evening meal was lovely, and the prices were not too bad - they were also quite big servings. Breakfast is a buffet style of either hot cooked breakfast or continental style, eat as much as you want so that suited us lol The restaurant itself has very large windows that overlook the loch taking advantage of the hotels fantastic setting.
The staff couldn't be more helpful - we needed an iron and by the time I had got from reception back up to our room a girl arrived with an iron and small ironing board which they advised just to keep for the duration of our stay! No problems at all if you needed something, they were only too happy to help.
I am hoping that Groupon does this hotel again as we would definately go back, but I think I would ask for a room in the new wing again just in case ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "new wing" - we had 224 and it had a fantastic view over the loch to...
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Stayed here for three nights. The state of this hotel failed to match the superb scenery. What a shame a hotel that is situated in such beautiful surroundings is nothing more than 3 star--- if that.

No lift --- Creaking floorboards throughout---threadbare carpets on stairs--Bedroom/bathroom in need of a complete revamp -- Basic Ensuite facilities--- Health and Safety issues when climbing from the bath--flickering lights --evidence of dogs having stayed in bedroom---Curtains without hooks making it impossible to use them properly---No wardrobe( only open area to hang clothes on rail) --lumpy bed --inferior pillows.
Food-----Breakfast. Nothing special at all. Beans mushrooms scrambled egg containers were all empty and told by the chef the Hotel hadn`t any more!!!
Evening meal. Very ordinary indeed. Vegetables provided were probably just sufficient for the sparrow that perched alongside our bedroom window.
Staff---They were very pleasant,willing to help and courteous but no more than that. They obviously tried their very best in difficult circumstances.
Value for money? -- obviously paid for the view and no more.

Room Tip: Have a room overlooking the loch Leven
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Ballachulish hotels

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed in room 109, we paid for a double room and were given two beds pushed together...which would have been fine if they were the same height. As it was there was a fairly significant ridge in it where the two mattress' came together. The carpet was mud stained, so are the skirting boards. Skum around the bath and cracked tiles on bathroom floor. The two little armchairs in the room had brown stains to the upholstery.
Damp marks on wallpaper. Radiator on full blast on our arrival...unbearable for anyone who has asthma like myself.
Overall the room as a bit grotty.

We ate in the resteraunt on our first night which was a pleasant and the staff were friendly. The food was very enjoyable, so much so that we chose to eat there on our second night too. Unfortunately the second night wasn't as pleasant. We both chose the venison which is one of our favourites. It was tough, overcooked and basically horrible. However, the staff were polite when we drew their attention to it and we weren't charged which we thought was very fair.

Breakfast was nice, but there was still bits of food on the floor was last nights dinner service and chewing gum stuck to the edge of the table...which I didn't realise about until i found my tshirt stuck to the table!

I wouldn't recommend my friends to stay here.

• Stayed October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I am just back from a nights stay here and I have to say my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it, we booked through groupon and although we booked a cheepy we were not made to feel any different, the room was nice and comfortable and although we didnt have a waterfront view the view was still nice. We were treated to a lovely 2 course meal which was excelent and the service was great. The resteraunt has a big glass front which overlooks the beautiful scenery it really is a lovely setting for a romantic meal. Breakfast had everything you would want too all in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definately go back.

Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed for 3 nights ,lovely location ,great views, a hotel full of scottish charm. The room was very nice and comfortable, staff were helpul and friendly,Food was very good. All in all a very nice experience thank you.

Room Tip: loch views
lochaline
Reviewed 14 October 2012

have passed this hotel many times on my way to oban but never stayed there until last night the 13th of oct 12 on arrival we were made welcome by the receptionist and given all the information we required on arriving in our room found a very pleasant and comfortable setting not much of a view got settled in and went down to the bar for a drink or two before our evening meal this was also a very comfortable setting had an excellent meal and a very comfortable nights sleep went down to breakfast and had a very nice meal again cant fault either the hotel or the staff as both were excellent

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
RiverBeds Luxury Wee Lodges
#1 of 2 in Kentallen
Onich Hotel
Onich Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich

Been to Ballachulish Hotel? Share your experiences!