“Wonderful old fashioned hotel with character”
Review of Ballachulish Hotel

Ballachulish Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for only one night but much more impressed than the sister hotel, Isles of Glencoe. The hotel has so much character that you really feel as though you are going back in time.
Beautiful surroundings and food lovely.
Staff could maybe have been a wee bit more friendly but no real complaint.
Bar prices a bit stiff but then I suppose you should expect that when the hotel is isolated.
Would certainly return and hopefully stay a bit longer next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimdebs
Hotel-GManager, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Jim and Debs
Thank you for your lovely comments and that you very much enjoyed your stay here at the Ballachulish, we do get a smile on when our guests go away happy and hopefully return to see us all again. I do look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Magnificent location by the Loch with great views for those fortunate to get a front room as we were. Good reception, bar and lounge area but the rooms need attention. Ours had a constantly running tap and leaking shower and the beds were terrible. Breakfast was okay but dinner was disgusting. Good service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Loch.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

dear Ean and Joan
Thank you for taking the time to write on your comments regarding your stay at the Ballachulish and that our dinner expectations were not to your standards.and the rooms we know need a little attention and it is something we are working on to make our hotel more comfterable. I am glad you enjoyed the views and the service at the hotel and if back in our lovely area again please do come and see us again as we are working to get the old lady been back to being grand again

Reviewed 3 June 2014

So many reviews of this hotel say they are disappointed, that it is not its former self, that it needs refurbishing etc - but I have to say, I am so so so so glad I ignored all of these comments and booked anyway.

I only stayed for 1 night - I got an amazing deal on the hotel's website and paid £30 for dinner, bed & breakfast. Due to some of the reviews, I wasn't expecting much, but I have to say I was blown away.

I loved the style of the huge drawing room and library, and I loved the creaky old staircase. So much character, and a world apart from modern boring hotels.

The view from the dining room is amazing - I asked for a table next to the window and had such a lovely view for my dinner.

The staff were very friendly, in particular the receptionist, and I was pleased there was a room I could lock away my bike.

Only cons: it was noisy at night (I could hear the guests in the room above me as the floorboards creaked, but in fairness I do think the people were doing more walking around than is normal. I could also hear next door's TV....however, this did not affect me as I was so tired I fell asleep anyway, but an insomniac might struggle here). Also there was no wifi, it was down apparently. This was quite inconvenient as I had intended doing some work while I was here, but seeing as I'd got such a bargain I wasn't about to complain. But I'd have been peed off if I'd paid full price and not had internet. Waiting staff were nice enough but not very with it.

I've given it full marks though, as I genuinely loved staying here and I would definitely come back.

Dinner was excellent, too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Emma J
Hotel-GManager, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Emma J
Thank you for your very positive comments and that you enjoyed your stay here at the Ballachulish Hotel and you enjoyed our Baronic style of hotel which is set in one of the most beautiful places in the United Kingdom (My opnion) Our staff always find these comments interesting and the vital information is good positive or negative for our staff training
Our wifi is now working being a little remote we needed a new router and had to get one sent to us (Unfortunately no next day delivery here)
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in May, as part of a longer tour with Great Train Journeys. First impression was that the public rooms were charming with their 'shabby chic' decor. These were clean, eclectic and ideal for the Scottish evening that we had on our last night. Great atmosphere in which to enjoy a raconteur/piper and a Scottish dancer. However, the rooms were a let down. Our first room, although spacious, was in the roof of the old building, with a view of a flank wall. The room was noisy because of the noise of the plumbing. Not just our plumbing, but every other rooms' too!
We changed rooms for the next two nights. We went into the new part of the building and had a view of the loch. But the bed was uncomfortable and the walls paper thin. we could hear the person in the next room snoring! Room was generally grubby.
We did not get good dinners. We had mash potato every night, no vegetables and the cheapest ingredients. Coley fish and inedible lamb. Chewy and grisly. Other reviews state that the dinners were good...I am sure they are for independent travellers, but certainly not for tour groups. Breakfasts were good. We were pleased to leave this hotel and get some decent food.
A common opinion of my fellow travellers was that the bedrooms were grubby and dusty, and had cobwebs!
I appreciate that the hotel is about to be refurbished, but there is no excuse for not cleaning properly. Reviews going back years mention this issue so it is not as if the management did not know.
Note to the manager...Frank you need to get Kim and Aggie in!

Room Tip: Not sure there is one!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank judith3

Dear Judith
Thank you for your comments and i am very sad to learn that your stay at the Ballachulish concerning the food and cleanliness were not to your standards and please accept my apologies. When we have a Tour Group in for a number of nights we try to vary the menus with different side dishes which sometimes may mean you have the same potato on a number of nights it is something i have addressed with our chef and we are working on a new approach to resolve this regarding vegetables i am suprised to hear this as we serve fresh vegetables with all out tour menus, I have had a meeting with our housekeeping department regarding the high level cleaning which they have addressed,and a new strategy has been put in place for this.
As in previous comments regarding the hotel we are working to getting this old lady back to her grand old self and to make her as comfterable and enjoyable as she has been for the last 180 years

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this 2 night dinner, bed and breakfast deal for my husband and I as I wanted a relaxing break after some surgery. It was great value at £99 per night for both of us. The room was lovely if perhaps needing a few decorative repairs here and there. A four poster bed and view of the loch- more like a suite really. I couldn't get the jacuzzi bath to work but that might have been me and I could have asked if I was really bothered. The hotel is really nicely set out for relaxing and full of character. The food was better than expected for the price. Very tasty, lovely mussels and fish. A good breakfast. Perhaps there could have been more serving staff for dinner on the first night as there was a coach party in and wi fi would have been good. The staff were very friendly and I can recommend it as a getaway.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sam M, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Annette
Thank you for your lovely comments and your stay in Ballachulish was good, after years of under investment we are at last looking forward with our new family of hotels to the future and getting our lovely hotel back to its former self.The jacuzzi bath switch is on the floor outside the bathroom it does confuse a lot of guests and we are looking at new signage to make it easier for guests
I do look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Spent five nights here with a family member and a large dog, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The hotel is a little lived-in, with the odd worn carpet and shabby chair. We found this a benefit as we did not feel bad coming in each afternoon with wet coats and soggy dog, but if you are looking for somewhere shiny and new this is not the hotel for you.

Food was good, but clearly aimed at tour parties staying one night, as the menu didn't change. However there are several other restaurants in the area if you fancy a change. Breakfast was extensive and tasty (especially the tattie scones), but again tour parties leaving early meant that anyone coming down after 8am risked missing out on pastries and (oddly) brown toast.

Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, and very dog-friendly.

Dogs are allowed everywhere apart from the restaurant. We enjoyed evening drinks with him in the bar looking out at the incredible view, and nightcaps in the old library (which is crying out for an open fire!). Good walking over the road along the loch and also through the neighbouring golf course.

A couple of issues mean I'm disinclined to give five stars - no biscuits with the tea in the bedroom (nitpicky perhaps, but at £105 a night a bit of shortbread would not come amiss), bed linen not changed during stay, dirty/stained glasses at table on occasion- but overall, a lovely, relaxed place to stay. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 108 is very spacious, with antique furnishings, a huge spa bath and comfy chairs if you want ti...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Sam M, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Alix
Just a quick note to say thank you for your positive review and that you enjoyed your stay at the Ballachulish We have just recently been taken over and are now under the management wing of crieff hydro and with their vast expeirence we are looking forward to moving forward through lack of investment in the past to bring this grand old building back to its former glory, and the fire in the library is going in very soon. With the menus we have recently just changed them and are now offering specials on top of our menus. I have spoken to our housekeeping department regarding the bedding issues as this is not usually our standards and i have asked them to readdress the longer night stays linen.
I look forward to welcoming you back to your next visit to the beautiful area of Ballachulish

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here for a hiking weekend in Glencoe.

I can say that the Hotel was charming, clean and has excellent character.

The bar area is suitably old and worldy. The dining area, in contrat is modern and enticing.

The three course TDH menu was delicious, whilst the breakfast buffet was also very nice.

The location can't be faulted as the Hotel is perched on top of the Loch. Glencoe is only a few minutes drive away and the Hotel is a very good starting point for many of the numerous trails.

All in all, an excellent, friendly Hotel which I would like to visit again.

Room Tip: Needless to say, get a Loch facing room if you can.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear John
Thank you very much for you fantastic feedback and how much your reviews are appreciated by the staff and myself. We are working very hard at the moment to get this grand hotel back to its former glory and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
#1 of 2 in Onich
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to Ballachulish Hotel? Share your experiences!