“Warm welcome in this graceful old hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ballachulish Hotel

Ballachulish Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Thornhill, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome in this graceful old hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We only spent one night in this hotel but would have happily stayed longer. Our room was extremely spacious and comfortable. It was tastefully decorated and equipped with Edwardian style furniture. All members of staff we encountered were very friendly and attentive and the food was good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hamish F
Hotel-GManager, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hi Hamish
Thank your for your lovely comments and your short stay was enjoyed by yourselves. It is great to get feedback from our customers and makes it all worth while My staff and i look forward to welcoming you back hopefully for a longer stay next time
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed one night as group of three and had rooms 122 (twin) and 123 (double) in the annex wing - these were decorated nicely and had the most amazing views over the loch. Slept very well - beds were comfortable and we found the hotel quiet. Only (minor) gripe with the room is that the showerhead is fixed, and all of us like to have a flexible/adjustable shower hose.

We didn't have dinner in the restaurant that evening but did use the bar, which I didn't like (its the reason for my 4 instead of 5) as it felt like a chain hotel bar and, much to my disappointment, doesn't sell real ale. This room would be better if decorated like the library or drawing room in keeping with the old style of the building - it would also make it more welcoming. So, we just took evening drinks into the drawing room which is a beautiful old room with lots of great historical photos on the walls.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PatFanda
Hotel-GManager, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear PatFanda
Thank you for your lovely comments and you appreciated our lovely old rooms and you had a comfterable stay with us. Our Bar area at the front of the hotel is in Decor with the restaurant which have the panoramic views of the loch and you were disappointed we had no real ale as unfortunately it does not last that long once the barrel has been tapped we need to sell in a couple of days and we dont have enough demand for it although we are going to be selling it by the Bottle very soon. I do haste ye back as we say up here
Stevenston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here for only one night but much more impressed than the sister hotel, Isles of Glencoe. The hotel has so much character that you really feel as though you are going back in time.
Beautiful surroundings and food lovely.
Staff could maybe have been a wee bit more friendly but no real complaint.
Bar prices a bit stiff but then I suppose you should expect that when the hotel is isolated.
Would certainly return and hopefully stay a bit longer next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jimdebs
Hotel-GManager, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Jim and Debs
Thank you for your lovely comments and that you very much enjoyed your stay here at the Ballachulish, we do get a smile on when our guests go away happy and hopefully return to see us all again. I do look forward to welcoming you back
Redcliffe, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Magnificent location by the Loch with great views for those fortunate to get a front room as we were. Good reception, bar and lounge area but the rooms need attention. Ours had a constantly running tap and leaking shower and the beds were terrible. Breakfast was okay but dinner was disgusting. Good service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Loch.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
dear Ean and Joan
Thank you for taking the time to write on your comments regarding your stay at the Ballachulish and that our dinner expectations were not to your standards.and the rooms we know need a little attention and it is something we are working on to make our hotel more comfterable. I am glad you enjoyed the views and the service at the hotel and if back in our lovely area again please do come and see us again as we are working to get the old lady been back to being grand again
Chamonix, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

So many reviews of this hotel say they are disappointed, that it is not its former self, that it needs refurbishing etc - but I have to say, I am so so so so glad I ignored all of these comments and booked anyway.

I only stayed for 1 night - I got an amazing deal on the hotel's website and paid £30 for dinner, bed & breakfast. Due to some of the reviews, I wasn't expecting much, but I have to say I was blown away.

I loved the style of the huge drawing room and library, and I loved the creaky old staircase. So much character, and a world apart from modern boring hotels.

The view from the dining room is amazing - I asked for a table next to the window and had such a lovely view for my dinner.

The staff were very friendly, in particular the receptionist, and I was pleased there was a room I could lock away my bike.

Only cons: it was noisy at night (I could hear the guests in the room above me as the floorboards creaked, but in fairness I do think the people were doing more walking around than is normal. I could also hear next door's TV....however, this did not affect me as I was so tired I fell asleep anyway, but an insomniac might struggle here). Also there was no wifi, it was down apparently. This was quite inconvenient as I had intended doing some work while I was here, but seeing as I'd got such a bargain I wasn't about to complain. But I'd have been peed off if I'd paid full price and not had internet. Waiting staff were nice enough but not very with it.

I've given it full marks though, as I genuinely loved staying here and I would definitely come back.

Dinner was excellent, too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Emma J
Hotel-GManager, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Emma J
Thank you for your very positive comments and that you enjoyed your stay here at the Ballachulish Hotel and you enjoyed our Baronic style of hotel which is set in one of the most beautiful places in the United Kingdom (My opnion) Our staff always find these comments interesting and the vital information is good positive or negative for our staff training
Our wifi is now working being a little remote we needed a new router and had to get one sent to us (Unfortunately no next day delivery here)
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
bedford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in May, as part of a longer tour with Great Train Journeys. First impression was that the public rooms were charming with their 'shabby chic' decor. These were clean, eclectic and ideal for the Scottish evening that we had on our last night. Great atmosphere in which to enjoy a raconteur/piper and a Scottish dancer. However, the rooms were a let down. Our first room, although spacious, was in the roof of the old building, with a view of a flank wall. The room was noisy because of the noise of the plumbing. Not just our plumbing, but every other rooms' too!
We changed rooms for the next two nights. We went into the new part of the building and had a view of the loch. But the bed was uncomfortable and the walls paper thin. we could hear the person in the next room snoring! Room was generally grubby.
We did not get good dinners. We had mash potato every night, no vegetables and the cheapest ingredients. Coley fish and inedible lamb. Chewy and grisly. Other reviews state that the dinners were good...I am sure they are for independent travellers, but certainly not for tour groups. Breakfasts were good. We were pleased to leave this hotel and get some decent food.
A common opinion of my fellow travellers was that the bedrooms were grubby and dusty, and had cobwebs!
I appreciate that the hotel is about to be refurbished, but there is no excuse for not cleaning properly. Reviews going back years mention this issue so it is not as if the management did not know.
Note to the manager...Frank you need to get Kim and Aggie in!

Room Tip: Not sure there is one!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank judith3
Dear Judith
Thank you for your comments and i am very sad to learn that your stay at the Ballachulish concerning the food and cleanliness were not to your standards and please accept my apologies. When we have a Tour Group in for a number of nights we try to vary the menus with different side dishes which sometimes may mean you have the same potato on a number of nights it is something i have addressed with our chef and we are working on a new approach to resolve this regarding vegetables i am suprised to hear this as we serve fresh vegetables with all out tour menus, I have had a meeting with our housekeeping department regarding the high level cleaning which they have addressed,and a new strategy has been put in place for this.
As in previous comments regarding the hotel we are working to getting this old lady back to her grand old self and to make her as comfterable and enjoyable as she has been for the last 180 years
Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Ballachulish hotels

Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this 2 night dinner, bed and breakfast deal for my husband and I as I wanted a relaxing break after some surgery. It was great value at £99 per night for both of us. The room was lovely if perhaps needing a few decorative repairs here and there. A four poster bed and view of the loch- more like a suite really. I couldn't get the jacuzzi bath to work but that might have been me and I could have asked if I was really bothered. The hotel is really nicely set out for relaxing and full of character. The food was better than expected for the price. Very tasty, lovely mussels and fish. A good breakfast. Perhaps there could have been more serving staff for dinner on the first night as there was a coach party in and wi fi would have been good. The staff were very friendly and I can recommend it as a getaway.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sam M, Manager at Ballachulish Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Annette
Thank you for your lovely comments and your stay in Ballachulish was good, after years of under investment we are at last looking forward with our new family of hotels to the future and getting our lovely hotel back to its former self.The jacuzzi bath switch is on the floor outside the bathroom it does confuse a lot of guests and we are looking at new signage to make it easier for guests
I do look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
#2 of 21 in Fort William
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to Ballachulish Hotel? Share your experiences!