“Lovely location, shame about the Hotel”

Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ballachulish
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Location is lovely - great views. However, accommodation is poor. Stained carpet in Room. Toilet needs updating. Dining Room - menu choice was poor; chairs were stained and dirty. Swimming pool - odd arrangement in changing room(no privacy). Not worth the money we paid at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,615)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here recently with a coach party. Had lovely room with view of loch, spacious room, nice bathroom (with room for more than a miniscule toilet bag), lots of space to "park" luggage, enough coat hangers, large desk, two armchairs, and the restaurant had lovely view of the loch. Only real complaint was the food - or rather the delivery of the food. The breakfast food was good, but the (self-service) hot food was often not ready in time, or was put out in bits and pieces so that the food first out was cooling down rapidly whilst the rest of it was somewhere in the kitchen. The evening meal was also rather late one night, taking 45 minutes from giving order to delivery of the starter. There was another coach party in one night but not all the time, and a few more staff on the delivery side would have made all the difference. The same remarks apply to getting drinks at the bar - just not enough staff. The hotel staff in all departments were very good, couldn't have been more helpful, and it would have been an almost perfect review were it not for the shortage of staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

This wasn't the best hotel I've stayed in, but it certainly was comfortable enough to make up for it.
Unfortunately I and some others got a cold shower, but others were lucky and got a nice warm one.
The beds were quite comfortable, I did borrow a second quilt off one of the bunk beds we weren't using, but it was cold that day.
Any criticism I could have is totally and absolutely wiped out by the stunning view from our room!! It was beautiful, amazing to wake up to such a pretty and dramatic landscape right outside my window. The staff were also very friendly and made us feel welcome.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The staff could not have been any friendlier or more accommodating and as the title says the hotel is in a very nice setting. Perhaps a wee bit dated and the food was very disappointing which was a shame.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kenbob82
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We love this area and the hotel so when we spotted a deal for the end of Feb we booked immediately. There have been a few poor reviews on here recently so we were a bit cautious. Drive to the hotel is fantastic, through some of the most dramatic scenery, Munros all snow capped and moody. No matter what the weather Glencoe is a magical place to spend time. We had up-graded to a superior room, money well spent. The hotel has a pool and sauna which we used before dinner. Dinner was great although I wish chefs would cook their own chips. Only complaint was the bed, every time I spent any time on it I could hardly get up as my back went intro spasms. Goodness knows what was causing it as it felt comfy.
Spent two nights at the hotel and will definitely be back, it might not be ultra modern and chique but you don't go to the area for that, enjoy the views, great staff and chill,,,

Room Tip: Book the superior rooms on East side, view in the morning is sensational
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maretta C
Reviewed 17 March 2014

First of all, I would like to say that the staff here were unfailingly friendly, pleasant, helpful. However, like many others, I think this hotel trades on the view with not enough attention to taking care of the rooms and general standards. I had pushed the boat out, so to speak, as a treat for my birthday - I knew I would be spending a lot of time in my room, so I chose carefully, or so I thought. I didn't get the room I booked and paid for (even though I was a single person paying for double occupancy) - very clean, but threadbare carpet, worn chair covers, and only half a view of the loch (the other half was a view of the side of the building); I was unwell and wanted to eat early, in my room, but couldn't get the food I wanted when I wanted it (no chef on duty), despite what it said on the menu in my room ("only a sample menu"). And worst worst worst of all, the smoking area for guests is the entrance to the hotel! So not only did one have to run the gauntlet of cigarette smoke, often on both sides, but beside the entrance was a giant plant pot full of fag ends and empty packets - oh dear. I am used to it being tough out there for lone travellers, but this was really very disappointing and in spite of the lovely staff I would not go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank joann c
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on the ski package deal. As most others have said areas of the hotel are very tired and need some refreshing!

However the staff the food and most of the the views across the loch make up for this fact.

Bedrooms are functional, our was large and spacious with this amazing view well worth asking for a loch view room.

Staff very knowledgable, attentive and informative.

Value for money was superb!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballachulish
Ballachulish Hotel
#1 of 2 in Onich
Holly Tree Hotel
Holly Tree Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kentallen

Been to Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!