“A Good Find”

The Cobbles - Freehouse & Dining
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cobbles - Freehouse & Dining is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Kelso
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Brew Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Cobbles is a well-established pub restaurant situated in the heart of the lovely Scottish Borders town of Kelso which serves an eclectic mix of British gastro-pub classics, Modern European and Pacific Rim cuisine.The Cobbles is the brewery tap for one of Scotland's most progressive micro-breweries, Tempest Brew Co. Kelso.The Cobbles is a great place to meet for a drink and the ideal venue for any party booking for a relaxed gastro-pub lunch, an evening meal or a special dining occasion.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Ate here twice during a short break in the borders. Friendly and attentive staff and the bar / restaurant had a really good atmosphere. Food on both occasions was well cooked / presented and very tasty. Puds were especially good! Menu blended traditional and more modern cuisine, and represented excellent value for money. There also seemed a genuine effort to showcase local produce and this should be applauded. The quality real ale also deserves a thumbs up...superb selection of well kept local brews! A really good find!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Restaurant with friendly wait staff, a long local presence, and locally brewed ale. Right near the square. You must eat here at least once during your visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

As we are walking the Abbey tour, we stopped by this place. All fits, service, atmosphere and meal. Recommend to make a reservation or have a pint waiting for a table. Excellent local dishes.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had two lunches in the Cobbles, great pub, was quite busy so you might want to make a reservation. Couldn't fault the place.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

As this place had been recommended and I'd read the good reviews I was looking forward to trying the food. I ordered the roe deer Wellington which was on the specials board priced £17.95. The presentation was quite impressive, sadly however, the same cannot be said of the meal. I was unable to eat the majority of the meat due to sinew. I mentioned this to the waitress who said she would inform the chef. I thought at the very least I would have had some sort of response to my complaint. After a good while of nothing happening, we asked for the bill. I'm amazed that it took a further 25minutes to receive it. I couldn't even excuse the lack of service we received down to the restaurant being busy as it wasn't. My reservation had been early evening (6.30). I left feeling not only let down but hungry and out of pocket.

1  Thank J C
FoodieKelso, Manager at The Cobbles - Freehouse & Dining, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear J C,

I feel truly let down that you have had the experience that you did while visiting us. There is no excuse for the service you received and i'm sorry that you waited as long as you did and that your meal was not deducted from your final bill.

If you would be willing and able to come and dine with us again if you contact me at info@thecobbleskelso.co.uk prior to coming I will sort out a complimentary dinner for two for you. You are our third one star review and it has hit all the team here like a kick to the stomach as we all work hard to make our guests happy. The 187 five star reviews that we have received are a truer reflection of what we are capable of and strive to deliver.

Again I am truly sorry for what you experienced and hope that you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves in your eyes at least.

Kind regards,