“Excellent service, great afternoon”

The Roxburghe Hotel
Ranked #16 of 33 Restaurants in Kelso
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, great afternoon”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Another afternoon tea report (and another deal). Boiling hot day (yes really) so was impressed that water came within seconds (I didn't even have to ask) and was topped up several times. Sandwiches a bit short (2 small ones each plus 2 melba toast sort of things each) but given that there were also 2 small scones and 4 small cakes each can hardly complain about quantity. Nice enough sandwiches, excellent scones, the usual cute cakes (menu has a description). I am coming to realise that service is quite important to me and they were very attentive (but not overly so) so would happily go back and try something else (even without the deal). Nice touch to be given an "amuse bouche" which for us was a wee iced tea (lovely!) and also vast range of tea types to choose from.

• Visited May 2014

“Family meal ”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Welcoming staff and very attentive, with a very nice meal. My only criticism would be that between courses we felt slightly rushed, however it didn't spoil the evening.

Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely weekend”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We enjoyed a lovely weekend at the Roxburghe Hotel, really excellent service, staff could not be more helpful. Dinner excellent, and breakfast likewise with the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs really very good! All in all a special weekend, thank you!

• Visited January 2014
Borrisokane, Ireland
“Excellent”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We treated ourselves to a weekend away and we're not disappointed at all. Amazing rooms, all the staff were extremely attentive and pleasant. Food was simply divine!!! Will definitely be treating ourselves again here!!

• Visited December 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, disappointing restaurant”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Having spent a night with friends at this hotel I have to say he bedrooms were wonderful and the staff very warm and welcoming. Special thanks to Sarah for going above and beyond to make our stay extra special thanks to her exceptional hosting,
The disappointment was the evening meal in the restaurant, high end dining it wasn't although one look at he prices we were charged suggested it should have been, Poor is the word that immediately comes to mind. The menu is poorly presented with too limited a choice, the portion sizes were a joke. Having seen nothing on the menu that appealed I asked if I could possible have some pasta and perhaps a sauce. I got a small bowl of craggy mess, which was solidifying as i awaited cutlery with which to attempt eating it. I was charged almost £18 for that! Outrageous and hence my rating the value as poor. . We should have known better as the restaurant was otherwise deserted, Given there are at least 3 very good places to eat in nearby Kelso which are much better priced This establishment needs to take a good look at what it is clearly not providing. I don't care how good the chef thinks he or she is. If they can't get customers over the door especially during the quieter months that should be screaming loudly at the management that something is wrong. My husband trained as a hotel manager and was not impressed with the restaurant side, what a lost business opportunity! Would I stay at this hotel again? Yes without hesitation I loved it. Would I eat in the restaurant again? Absolutely not. I'll take that business elsewhere,

• Visited December 2013