Tara Bed and Breakfast
US$119
US$107
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Excellent hosts (Janet and Bruce) and a really lovely b&b. Great breakfast, comfortable bed, Bruce drove the 3 of us into Kelso both evenings to save us a 20 minute walk.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars (which I rarely give) is because there were no curtains let alone black-out blinds; I was in an East facing room which meant when the sun rose at 5:45am on a beautiful sunny day the room was flooded with gorgeous sunlight and there was no chance of sleeping. Easily rectified.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
bjtaylor123, Owner at Tara Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thanks for devoting your time and providing a positive review for our B&B. We would however wish to question the issue of Scotland’s gorgeous sunlight entering the bedroom. The low level feature window has vertical blinds and the high level velux windows have proprietary integral roller blinds, all of which can be closed to block out light, if required. The issue of too much sunlight has never been raised before either privately or on TripAdvisor and therefore leads us to question whether the blinds were drawn. We are sorry you didn't sleep upon sunrise and hope this didn't affect you too much. We will however monitor the situation for all our future guests.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have just spent an excellent week end at tara bed and breakfast kelso.There is no doubt that this is the best small b/b that I have had the pleasure to stay in.It is located a five minute taxi ride from Kelso ensuring peace and tranquility during your stay.The owners Janet and Bruce are are extremely warm and welcoming and they will ensure they willl do whatever it takes to make you feel at home.The major disappointment during my stay was that Bruce failed miserably to give me any winners at the races.
Overall I cannot recommend this establishment highly enough suffice to say if you are in the borders make Tara your preferred choice.

Room Tip: all of the rooms are of an excellent standard.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ianauldbarclay
bjtaylor123, Owner at Tara Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thanks very much for your kind comments. We are just on the edge of Kelso, only a few minutes in the car or a little walk along the river, in the most beautiful surroundings. We can always drive you into Kelso. Bruce wasn't asked to provide the winners!! Can't guarantee a winner at the races but glad you found the B&B a winner. We look forward to your next trip to Kelso races as we do to all the racegoers. Kelso has 14 race days this year, so come, stay over for a few nights and enjoy what the area has to offer.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed here while working on the River Tweed for the whole autumn, 3 months in total. From the 1st email reply I had from Bruce I knew this is where I wanted to stay during my time on the Tweed. Although slightly out of the town its just a short 20 minute walk into the town, If you don't fancy the walk Bruce or Janet are available to give you a lift into the town if asked.
The rooms are a nice size and very clean and tidy, bed very comfortable I wish I could've taken it home! Wifi is provided in the rooms which is great as most people live on it these days.
Breakfast is lovely and is cooked for the time you request it, so didn't have to sit about waiting which in my situation was ideal.
I don't think you'll meet nicer people than Bruce and Janet anywhere, from my 1st day until my last day my stay felt like home. Very keen and attentive and couldn't do more for me.
Was a pleasure staying here and I would definitely highly recommend Tara to anyone looking to stay in the Kelso area.
If you like cricket you will have a great time chatting with Bruce.

Thanks a lot Bruce and Janet :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
bjtaylor123, Owner at Tara Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Thanks very much for your very kind comments. Janet and I always endeavour to ensure our guests enjoy their time away from home. We were extremely pleased you chose us as your preferred place of stay option and we certainly learnt about the River Tweed, fishing and fishers.

Wishing you and your family all the best at Christmas, have a prosperous New Year and looking forward to you visiting us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

this has got to be one of the best b & bs we have ever stayed in, the rooms are decorated to a high standard and the beds are really comfortable. the breakfast is really tasty and the hosts are lovely people, we went to the races and bruce gave us a lift there and recommended places to eat in kelso we will stay here again next time we are in the area

thanks again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jackie s

Thanks very much for your gratifying comments. We try our best to look after our guests and ensure they enjoy their stay at Tara and this beautiful area we live in.
Janet and I look forward to you coming back soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Janet & Bruce were very friendly and accommodating. My friends and I just needed a bed for a night and a nice breakfast to see us on our way and for a very reasonable price we had a great stay. The family room was very nicely decorated and was very comfortable. No negatives about this B&B. I would definitely recommend this B&B and if I have another wedding in the area I will definitely be staying at Tara B & B.

Room Tip: Family room fits 3 so great for 3 friends sharing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sian D
bjtaylor123, Owner at Tara Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thanks Sian for your welcoming review. We do have many wedding guests who stay with us, but not many who cross the border to stay from the wedding venue. We hope you will return soon and not necessarily just for a wedding, and maybe stay longer.