“Again a very nice visit and very friendely staff”
Review of Floors Castle

Floors Castle
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Kelso
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 5 star visitor attraction in the Scottish Borders and the largest inhabited castle in Scotland.Built in 1721 in the historic town of Kelso, Floors Castle is home to the 10th Duke and Duchess of Roxburghe. Its spectacular state rooms display an outstanding collection of paintings, tapestries and furniture, enhanced with family photos. Within the grounds, there is much to see and do including riverside and woodland walks, adventure playgrounds, two cafe's and gift shops . The gardens include a woodland plantation, a french style parterre and a traditional walled gardens renowned for its herbaceous borders together with a children's adventure playground.
Papendrecht, The Netherlands
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Again a very nice visit and very friendely staff”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

At May the 1st 2013 we visited Floors Castle again. The previous time was 2012 with just the 3 of us.
This day we visited the grounds with 13 adults and 5 toddlers.

The tour through the castle is nice.
Although I agree with some others that visiting a kitchen, a bathroom and a bedroom may add extra to the visit, I have to say that we were impressed by the visit.
The staff in the castle was very friendly. They took all the time needed to answer our questions. The castle looks very nice and is nice decorated with furniture.

After the castle visit we went for lunch in teh Courtyard restaurant. Those sandwiches with saucages and red union marmelade, one must taste them !! Theay are so nice.

After the lunch we hopped over to the gardens. The toddlers have been playing for while.
The playground is a good spot to relax.

Visited May 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank pa3ddg
FloorsCastle, Manager at Floors Castle, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit again.

Charlotte Newton

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Missed potential - Don't go when it's rainy!”
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Floors Castle has the potential to be so much more than it is, as it stands though it's a disappointment. On arrival the views of the castle, grounds and surrounding countryside are breathtaking and almost worth a visit alone, but once you get inside things start to go wrong. The castle is massive but so little of it is open to the public you're done and out the other end before you know it. Although the staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms & exhibits are very dry (there are guide books available, but they're £3 each, and having paid £8 to get in we decided to save our money). Outside the castle there is a good adventure playground for the kids, but it's so poorly signposted we were on the verge of leaving before we found it. There are walks around the grounds, but again very poorly signposted, and also difficult to get around with our pushchair. Indeed we struggled around most of the grounds due to the thick layers of gravel, the only place we didn't struggle was in the castle itself where the staff let us use the lift. We ate in the courtyard cafe which we found overpriced for what was on offer (nearly £5 for a toastie made from Mother's Pride bread), but this seems standard in The Borders.

All in all we spent more time outside the castle than in it. As a rainy day activity there's just not enough indoors to do, even with the grounds there's only about half a day to pass. Which is a shame, as there's clearly the potential for it to be so much more!

1 Thank FelixW1979
FloorsCastle, Manager at Floors Castle, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your review of Floors Castle. I was very disappointed to read such a negative review.

As I have mentioned to the previous reviewer, the Castle is still lived in by the family, it is at the heart of a busy working Estate and all food is produced on-site in the Castle Kitchens - all in all means that it is impossible to have more of the Castle on show.

It has been our experience that most people find the Castle incredibly interesting and most go round the Castle once, have a cup of tea and come back in again to soak up more of the history. I am sorry that you did not find this to be the case.

We are very proud to have a fantastic team of guides who usually make a visit to the Castle so special. As you can see from other reviewers the guides are engaging and helpful and we feel they do a better job than any display could.

I can only apologise that you did not find your visit satisfactory. Reviews on Tripadvisor are discussed in monthly managements so your comments will be flagged up to all staff and taken on board.
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Good, but Room for Some Improvement”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This castle is well worth a visit but have to say we were a little disappointed. There is a lot to see - many rooms but, amazingly, no bedrooms, bathrooms or kitchens, etc. This is a vast place; there must be some of these rooms available that could be put on view to help make it even more interesting?
However, on the plus side, the guides in were very pleasant, friendly and highly informative (quite the best I have ever come across in a historic house). Although the weather was awful (cold and windy), we loved the grounds, particularly the Star Plantation and Plant Centre. We had coffee and then later lunch in the Courtyard Restaurant where, again, staff were friendly and service was good - food was good too. Will visit again - when more rooms are opened up!

FloorsCastle, Manager at Floors Castle, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for your review of Floors Castle.

I am sorry that that you feel that there is not enough of the Castle on show. As you will know, the Castle is still lived in by the Duke and his family and given the layout of the Castle, it would be impossible to put more rooms on show. Additionally the Kitchens (which take up one wing of the Castle) are still used today to produce the lovely food that can be enjoyed in our restaurants. The other wing of the Castle is used as the offices from which all the Estates activities are run. I can however assure you that you do get to see the grandest rooms available!

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the rest of your visit - despite the weather!

Floors Castle
Durham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Poor Floors Castle”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I have been to most of the Castle's and Homes in Britain, this is without doubt the worst. Staff rude and unhelpful. Café & Restaurant under stocked and overpriced, signage poor, wheelchair access poor. I was informed it would take 2 hours to see the house, it took 14 minutes also was informed the Town was 2 minutes away when infact it was a 35 minute walk, though I wish I hadn't have bothered as we had a meal in a pub and were all food poisoned as spent 3 days ill.
My advice is do not visit Floors Castle or Kelso.

5 Thank Michael F
FloorsCastle, Manager at Floors Castle, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Michael F

I was very disappointed to read your review of Floors Castle and Kelso.

I will try and tackle the points you have raised one by one. I would be grateful if you could contact the Estate office so that we can take more information from you and investigate the problems properly.

I was very surprised that a tour of the Castle only took you 14 minutes. All of our experience from previous visitors has shown that it takes at least an hour to see the Castle with many visitors returning later on in the day to take another look. I am sorry that you did not find this to be the case.

Ordinarily our staff are incredibly helpful and so I am quite concerned that you found them to be otherwise.

Our Courtyard Restaurant and Terrace Café is usually very well stocked. As all food is freshly produced in the Castle Kitchen, things can run low if we have had an exceptionally busy day. I can only apologise if you found things running low in both of our restaurants.

We do our best for visitors requiring disabled access with the provision of a lift, closer-by parking, free admission to registered carers and ramps or flat access in to all our of outlets. The building and indeed the grounds are listed and protected therefore we are unable to change anything to improve the situation further. We do our best to work with the situation and our visitors.

You were sadly misinformed when you were told that Kelso was just a 2 minute walk away. It is a two minute drive away but walking will take longer. I will ensure that all staff are informed of this to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I feel it is a little unfair that you judge the whole of Kelso and indeed catering in another establishment within a review for Floors Castle. Anything being served outwith the Castle’s outlets is beyond our control and I feel this would better be mentioned to the pub in question.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Floors and I am incredibly concerned by some of the points you raised. I would ask that you contact the Estate office with more information so that we can look in to the matter further.

Charlotte Newton
Portishead, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Floors antiquities history and cafe”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Convenient and clean straightforward plus a superb collection and gardens of historic nature. You can lounge on the garden seats imagining the scenes across the valley and hills under the trees before with sun tan gained the cafe is used as a rest while others scan the plant collections.

1 Thank MikeHydro2013
FloorsCastle, Manager at Floors Castle, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review!