“Forget Ednam House & Stay Here”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Queens Head Hotel

and 1 more site!
Queens Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kelso
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Forget Ednam House & Stay Here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We originally booked in Ednam House hotel, but after going into our room and finding it dusty. We decided to go out for a breath of fresh air. Walked across the street and checked out the QHH. The receptionist was very friendly and showed us room number 1. Amazing!!!!! Clean, comfortable, beautiful bathroom with bath and shower.... So to make a long story short we cancelled our stay with Ednam House and booked in at the QHH. Not only did we save £40 a night but actually upgraded to a 4 star hotel. Please look past the facade of the building and just walk in, you'll be delightfully surprised. :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lidiana M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Generally food here is very good but I have just had their incredibly sweet sweet and sour beef. It tasted as if they had thickened a tin of pineapple juice and poured it over the food. Inedible. The staff are very pleasant but my complaint was glossed over. I have been a regular customer here but do not think I will return.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Norahkiora
markhay, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Hi im sorry to read your review,I can assure you it wont be glossed over now as I have seen it.
thanks for your response.please call in again and ask for myself and I will be more than happy to provide dinner for two at our expense and show you that the food should be as you expect and pay for.
best regards Mark hay
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I dragged my sorry bum into this pub after a long haul on a coach with two big suitcases and the welcome was so wonderful! Make sure if you call in you say hello to Frances the gorgeous little blonde barmaid from Candi the Kiwi/ Aussie.
I popped in a few times and had a laugh and chat with Frances and her customers(more like old friends the lot of them).
I had my first Haddock and crab fish cakes - simply amazing!
This place is a real gem and not to be missed whether you be passing through or new to the area and want to savour the delights of great Scottish warmth and laughter.
Thanks again for help in making my trip to Scotland so enjoyable ( and informative).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Candiaustralia
Morpeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

A couple of years ago whilst staying at a nearby hotel we stumbled upon the Queens Head looking for meal at lunch time, first impression was it was like Dr Who's tardis. a traditional frontage leading into a most impressive bar area, choices amongst the four of us were very varied and all were more than satisfied by both the choice and the quality of the food, even more impressionable was the ale served which led us to consume more than the average during a very pleasurable afternoon only time dictated that we left for our evening meal. I was surprised two year later when it was announced to me that we were returning for a short break to Kelso and that the Queens Head was our parties number one choice for accommodation and our evening meal. When we arrived I recall how familiar the hotel was nothing had changed it was still perfect, our rooms very spacious, cleanliness was 100% and a great nights sleep was achieved with absolutely no disturbances. The evening meal was again of very good quality, we had varied choices and the atmosphere in the eating/bar area was very relaxing, service was perfect and the wine flowed freely and a brilliant night was enjoyed by all. Breakfast was served in alternative surroundings which were pleasant and not overcrowded, choice's were available but we opted for full Scottish breakfasts again quality was fine and service was good, I did comment on how motivated and pleasant staff were and the impression I got was it was a well run hotel.

Room Tip: cant comment on pool or spa as I did not use these facilities
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kenneth M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

After a mix up at a different hotel, we were redirected to this one. The staff were very welcoming & we wanted for nothing. I think it was our good luck, for the mix up to happen as we thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay. It happened to coincide with Kelso's Civic week and we were delighted to be treated to Bagpipe music on the first evening & again early on the morning of our departure. The stairs might be a problem for those having mobility problems - probably best to ring ahead. The Hotel is in an ideal spot - right next to Kelso Abbey - great for history fans but car parking is a bit of an issue. Breakfast was very nice & relaxing up in the little breakfast room. We happened to stay during a heatwave (UK, not our Australian sort) & the room was quite warm. I didn't ask for a fan so I don't know if any were available. Our room had an enormous bathroom in comparison which had a rather uneven floor, common in old buildings - part of it's charm in my opinion but perhaps might annoy others. I'd certainly stay there again if given the opportunity .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ginny W
Peebles, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We had a table booked for 14 at 6.30pm we were entertaining buisnes colleges. When we got there at 6.30 they had gave the table away so they sat us in the bar and we did not get our food until 9.30pm stakes were cold. When we complained they just kept saying we only have a small kitchen and we are busy. Just not good enough.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Portmore F
markhay, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Have to respond to your post,
you forgot to mention that a group of your colleagues said they had booked your table and as we don't know or havnt met you how were we to know it wasn't there table ,
We did our best in that situation it threw the whole place into turmoil ,
We apologised and did all we could under the circumstances that wernt our doing and as your colleagues mentioned in the morning they knew fine well that they had taken your booking as did your group but you were more than happy taking the free snacks and drinks on offer and then the deduction from your bill as a good will gesture.
Considering it was out of our control we in my opinion did all we could to please you and the gentleman who booked the table was happy enough to wait and was informed it would be a long wait ,
But in saying all that I still didn't feel that the language directed at myself and our staff was warranted,there was no need .
Kelso, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

we booked a meal in this hotel because the restuarant in the website looked classic and tasteful. On arrival we were sat in the bar and offered bar food. We thought we were being offered a restuarant and what we got was basic pub grub. Had we known this at the outset we wouldnt have booked for here. Misleading and disappointing. Wont be returning

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank susan c
markhay, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
My Apologies
We will be working on a new restaurant real soon,and Im sorry you didn't like sitting in our bar dining area.
I will have the website adjusted in the meantime it did escape our attention as we closed the restaurant upstairs due to the recession.
If your in the vicinity after our new refurb is completed please get in touch and we will do all we can to make sure your next experience is to your liking and at our cost
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelso
Cross Keys Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kelso
Inglestone House
Inglestone House
#2 of 19 in Kelso

Been to Queens Head Hotel? Share your experiences!