“exellent hotel”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kelso
bolton
“exellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2010

this is the second time we have stayed at this hotel and found it just as good as the first time .have no hesitation in recommending it for groups

• Stayed May 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Morpeth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

My husband & I have just returned from a weekend away, we've stayed in Kelso before but chose the Queens Head Hotel this time as some locals recommended it to us, we'd had a drink in the bar before and the website was impressive so booked in for one night.
Check in was smooth and we were quickly guided to our room which sadly looked nothing like any of the pictures on the website, it was just ok, (quite old fashioned apart from the bathroom). Our room faced out onto the main road which is all cobbled so when the cars drove past it was like being next to a motorway, the secondary glazing had little effect in keeping any noise (and spiders) out., including the high spirits when the bar downstairs emptied.
We had a problem with the loo, it wouldn't flush properly but when I went to reception to get some help there was no one around, I rang the bell and waited but no one responded.
When we wanted to have a coffee in the room from the tray provided, one of the cups was chipped and the kettle stand hadn't been cleaned properly.
We ate out on the evening (Oscar's which was lovely) so can't comment on the hotel restaurant but breakfast was good.
Overall impression of the hotel.....there are nicer places to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
markhay, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Hi thankyou for your comments we took them all on board,we have now completed the room,and very happy with the outcome.
Windows are still in the process as we have a grade 1 listed building and planning isnt forthcoming but we will get there hopefully this year,we are town centre and do get some traffic noise and possibly always will,but fingers crossed.
hope your well and will look forward to showing you around if your in our area in the future.

best wishes Mark
Edinburgh Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

Stayed at Queenshead with three friends after a day at the races, very nice hotel, staff very friendly could find no fault with anything - will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

The hotel itself was inviting, very clean and warm. All the staff were very welcoming and happy. Our room was well presented and equipped. Good menu and good food, meals were available throughout the day. The parking was adequate; the hotel is conveniently situated in the town so access by foot, to all the local amenities is very easy. The front of the hotel overlooks the main street, however the road was not busy, the rear overlooks a church yard with a lovely view of the Abbey. Kelso is a lovely town with many beautiful buildings and lots of heritage

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2009

The Queenshead Hotel is in a perfect location in town. The staff at the front office, servers at breakfast, and bar staff are all super friendly and helpful. We stayed here for two weeks. We spent one week in room 1 and one week in room 14. The reason we changed rooms was the internet. For my job I had to be connected to the internet all day. They have wireless but it's very spotty, room 14 has an ethernet port so we changed rooms and I had no problems connecting to the internet for the entire week.

This is an old building, but the rooms are spacious and clean. Room 1 was very close to the stairwell and breakfast room. Sometimes I could hear people going down to breakfast but I was up early and it didn't bother me. The decor was modern, there was a closet, a desk with a big mirror ( I used it to get ready), and the bathroom had a seperate bath and shower which was very nice. The bed was a king sized bed, we had no idea how much of a luxury that was around Scotland! The view for this room was along a main town road.

We moved into room 14 which was located through the breakfast room and up the stairs. It was quiet, and so spacious. We felt like we had such a luxurious room because of the high ceilings, the couch and coffee table, big bed and nice bathroom. This room looked out the back of the hotel into the cemetary, which was actually quiet lovely and serene.

Breakfast was great, there were cereals, breads, breakfast bars, sometimes pastries, canned fruit in juice, apple and orange juice, yogurt for a breakfast starter. There was a menu you can order from while you eat your starter! It wasn't on the menu but I always just ordered scrambled eggs and toast. My husband ordered, the traditional breakfast, poached eggs, toast, and bacon. Fresh coffee every morning was so great after all the instant coffee available around here!

For us, it was nice having a bar/restaurant just downstairs from our rooms, we liked interacting with the staff, the steak & ale pie was my husband's favorite out of every place we ate throughout Scotland, and their sticky toffee pudding was amazing!

The location is great, Kelso isn't a huge town but it's fun to be located inside of town so you can walk all around whenever you want.

We walked into a neighboring hotel for dinner and were both so thankful for the intimate customer service we received while staying at the Queenshead. There aren't many rooms, and the staff know who you are. Once I was lingering a long time over breakfast one of the cleaning staff came straight up to me and asked if it would be okay if they cleaned my room while I was not in it, my first reaction was how did you know who I was? My second reaction was so appreciative they actually asked!

I wouldn't say this is a 5 star place, but for Kelso, I think it's great. You can find faults with the rooms I'm sure, but don't go into an older building looking for them, go there looking for the positives and you'll be pleased.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Emmalicious
Warwickshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

We stayed 1 night on B&B basis and found it to be an average standard hotel. The room was clean and tidy and staff were very friendly and attentive. However the dining area was open-planned and shared by the bar so you found yourself sitting eating your dinner with a group of blokes at the bar, who were watching the football or rugby on the TVs dotted around the place !! Not the best place for a romantic getaway. We payed £80 for the night which was also a bit pricey for what you get. The hotel's location though is close to the centre of the town and the other pubs and shops, so no need to worry about transport to get around the place.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaffafan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelso
Cross Keys Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kelso
Inglestone House
Inglestone House
#2 of 19 in Kelso

Been to Queens Head Hotel? Share your experiences!