“Worth the money if you get a deal”
Review of Ednam House

Ednam House
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Kelso
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed on the 9th August and we had a lovely time. Food was excellent. Our room was large and we had a huge, extremely comfortable bed. Very peaceful and had everything we required. Unfortunately, the service in the dining room was very slow and the hotel needs some TLC. However, I am told by the manager this will be happening in the near future. I left my charger for my iPhone and when I phoned to enquire if it had been found, was told it would be sent to me. I was impressed that they did this without any charge. Wifi connection wasn't good, but expected that with it being thick walls. We hope to stay at the Ednam again, so would have no problems recommending it to anyone.

Room Tip: Loved room 37.
There are newer reviews for Ednam House

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for her birthday on a Travelzoo deal covering dinner and breakfast. The breakfast was very good with a wide selection and the quality was excellent.
The evening meal though left a lot to be desired.
After a day in the country I was ready for a hearty meal but much to my disappointment I was presented with a main course, which in these days is considered to be attractive (master chief inspired) but the amount of food on the plate could have been placed in a sandwich made from a single slice of bread. It was fortunate that I was going home the next day and not going out for a full days walk in the country.

2  Thank Colin T
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Gorgeous hotel situated in Kelso, with old fashioned service and good old fashioned standards. The food was excellent but the service was slow, however it did give you time to weigh up the other guests and to look out over the well maintained gardens and busy river.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

There are hotels that still focus upon service and politeness rather than wifi and trendy music and the Ednam House is one. Although it is need of some refurbishment especially the communal furniture in the main resident lounge, the hotel still oozes charm and elegance of a bygone era.

We had a great view of the river Tweed from our bedroom window. Our room was clean and comfortable although the furniture was old and the walls lacked any pictures. The hotel brochure claims that there is wifi coverage in all rooms but annoyingly I had to go to the main lounge to get an internet connection.

The restaurant offered a good selection of european dishes although both my wife and I felt the portions could have been more generous given the price of £25.00 each for two courses.

Its a shame as a few pounds spent here and there would certainly enhance the hotel's ambiance and help it to maintain the standards it obviously aspires to provide for its guests.

The staff were very friendly and efficient. Worth considering if staying in the area.

1  Thank Tom_Tait
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a disastrous experience with accomodation booked in nearby Berwick on Tweed. At 9pm on the friday we desperatly hunted for alternate accomodation for 6 people and Ednam House certainly stepped up to help us. Not only were we able to get rooms at no notice , but the staff were very helpful making sure we could still get food at 10pm at night, had everything we needed and settled us in. Although the hotel was busy they were also able to juggle things around so we could complete our family stay in the same hotel for the whole weekend.
Throughout our time there we experienced superb large airy rooms with a lovely old time grandeur to them and excellent breakfasts. Nothing was too much for the staff including 5.30am wake up calls and space with coffee for international conference calls for our busy executive daughter. Excellent bar staff and reception staff, wonderful housekeepers and a calming ambience throughout our stay.
Definitely know where we shall stay in future on our visits to family in Berwick. Cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 through 7 are in the original manor house with large rooms, ensuites and good views. All roo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. The service from all the staff was excellent. The food delicious and the room was huge and clean with a comfortable bed with a spacious bathroom. The gardens are very beautiful and look across at the river. The hotel has a period feel and needs some renovation but this seems to be underway . The 1930s fittings add to the charm of the place.

Colin and Rachel Harrison wallsend Tyne and Wear

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We hadn't been since the takeover and went for Sunday lunch.

The bread rolls were stale, the carrots were, at best, parboiled, the sprouting green stuff was limp and I couldn't cut the grisly, fatty, beef. The Yorkshire pudding was fine and so were the roast potatoes. The wine was fine but, perhaps, on the turn.

No one asked why we left so much on the plates.

The 'bins' in the female toilet were overflowing.

Room Tip: based upon our experience we cant offer a tip
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank tripvisitorold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelso
Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel
Balcary House Hotel
Balcary House Hotel
#2 of 7 in Hawick

Been to Ednam House? Share your experiences!