“What a difference!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Swan Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kelso
Black Swan Hotel
Ranked #18 of 19 Kelso B&B and Inns
“What a difference!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Having lived in Kelso for many years the black swan was always my restuarant of choice if my wife and I were going out for dinner. In recent years however the standard of food had declined and I am sorry to say after many dissapointing visits we had given up on it ever improving. HOWEVER When I heard there was a new manager accompanied by a new chef and delicious new menu my wife and I were very eager to check it out and we were not dissapointed!! The management and staff were friendly and attentive and greeted us with welcoming smiles. The food was delicious and well presented, we were even given a free glass of wine each because we were having more than one course! The Black Swan is on it's way back to its former glory!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank NeilRodgers2948

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Clevedon, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was my first experience in Kelso and my trip was with the Honda Goldwing Club of Great Britain. On walking into Kelso for an evening meal we stopped at the Black Swan and I have to say the service was excellent and the food was very tasty and came out hot and in a reasonable time. I was advised that the family now running the Black Swan had just taken over the place so good luck to you all and keep up the good work.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jenny J
Fort William, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Having been a regular customer at the Black Swan for lunch time meals, we have found that the quality has declined dramatically over the course of the past few months, with a greatly reduced choice on the menu. The food is cooked to a reasonable quality and the serving staff are friendly and attentive, but the overly casual dress and demeanour of the apparent manager leaves much to be desired. The main problem however is the poor standard of the new menu, which is now of the fish and chip, and steak pie variety. Okay as far as they go, but without much choice of anything else.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mdubhghlas

Travellers are raving about these Kelso hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Having stayed here previously we were more than happy to rebook this hotel as it is very central to kelso.On checking in we were told our breakfast was between 8 and 9 pm,and were asked what time we were planning to be there???like we had given it any thought...The lady i must say didnt have to nicest of attitudes.we were shown to our room which looked nice but had an odd smell,the beds were spotless and the room as a whole was nice in appearance,it took us a short while to find out that the bathroom actually smelt like a gents urinal it stank!The door led strait from the bedroom.I was persueded not to make a fuss, so we opened the window wide and left the bathroom light on which in turn left the fan going,it did help a bit and we sprayed it to mask the stench.We were only there one night so i thought id just leave a comment in the book about it.Breakfast..we requested one vegetarian breakfast which we were told sorry nobody told me,so scrambled egg it was just as well hes not vegan...the other two in the party requested two breakfasts which were has so much grease on the plate it took three napkins to mop it up,i think the sausage and blackpudding had been deep fried it was disgusting and just so greasey..when we left i asked for the comments book it was not available so this is my feed back,its such a shame as it was such a nice place last time around...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family