“A gem of a cafe!”

Cuisines: British
Midlothian
“A gem of a cafe!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

A little off the main street, Caroline's is well worth looking for. Open after 4pm (rare in this corner of Scotland) and offering a warm welcome to walkers (and anyone else!) Very reasonable prices, a generous pot of tea and lovely scones complete with a basket of butters and jams ( none of your one each here). The Breakfast, hot dishes and sandwich menu looked great - pity we had to catch a bus. But the bag of scones we were sent home with was a real treat - yes, it was the end of the day, but most places would have put them in the bin. Ten out of ten for quality, friendliness, and price. We'll be back

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank ScotlandPenicuik

Spennymoor, United Kingdom
“Fab little place”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

There is nothing to fault so far in my experience about Caroline's Coffee Shop. I visited twice in October 2012 and I've visited twice in August 2013. Each time there have been no complaints. It is a small coffee shop holding, if I remember rightly, about 8 tables for four people (if full it would be tight though) with a further two outside. As a family of four, I've eaten twice with four of us and then drank coffee twice with two of us. For a meal it is reasonable with four of us having refreshments and two courses for under thirty pounds. Obviously it depends what you have as to how much under thirty pounds it'll be.

The place is clean and tidy and this is also representative of the toilets. When I visited yesterday we'd left the shop and five minutes later my four year old wanted the toilet, they were happy to welcome him back; which I thought was nice. The staff are excellent, each time they've been pleasant and if noticing the accent asking if we were on holiday but note enquiring too much, I didn't feel like they were being nosy if this makes sense. Even when almost full we've not had to wait too long either - when you have a four year old this is important! Yesterday's lunch as example was an hour from walking in the door to leaving again.

Now if like me you've got food problems - I have Coeliac's disease there are still options. The ham and peach salad from the special board was delicious and the staff were happy (even when busy) to discuss ingredients. Failing this, there's always the good old jacket potato. To find Caroline's if you don't pass it whilst browsing, if you stand in the centre with the tourist information in front of you and then head down the street on the left passing Greggs and WHSmiths.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank 540ssmith
Roxburghshire
“Setting the record straight”
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Obviously the other reviewers had a bad experience, however, we had an excellent breakfast, very reasonably priced and with good friendly service. The cafe was very busy, all the table were full but the freshly cooked food arrived in good time with all our requests met. Don't be put off by a couple of bad reviews, I'm sure the majority of customers leave happy. - there seemed to be quite a few regulars when we were in which would suggest bad food is the exception.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Calchu
“A revolting café”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

This cafe is awful. DO NOT GO. Also, on your sign, you've missed out the apostrophe on Caroline's. This is a basic grammatical error and truly unforgivable.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Simsmith
New Galloway, United Kingdom
“It was worse than terrible we have been ill all day”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well we went to Kelso lovely place n Caroline's coffee shop from outside looks like a lovely little tea room, well appearances can be wrong n this was one of the worst lunches I ever had n at £15.90 to expensive , my partner had soup n a pannin soup was burnt n the pannin over cooked n the filling frozen chicken yuck , I had mac n cheese my fav meal n at £5.95 was reasonable price but when u get it no chips or wot just a wee bit salad n the mac n cheese the sauce disgusting n the pasta was well under cooked , I am sorry because I reckon it cud be a lot better n the cakes looked nice but after my lunch I cud not face 1, a real shame , I,m afraid I will for 1 will not be back ill go to the pound bakery across the road .

• Visited March 2013