“A Christmas Classic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kelso
The Old Priory Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Kelso B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife, two young children and I spent two extremely comfortable nights at The Old Priory. When it seemed as though Kelso had closed for Christmas, Robin and family kindly agreed, at short notice, to delay their own get away to accommodate our stay. The spacious family suite, with charming period features, was beautifully furnished and had all the modern amenities that we required. Access to a fabulous sitting room was a bonus, particularly for our 5 year old who adored the carved animal chess set. Providing additional breakfasts for the family friends who we were visiting was really appreciated and I will forever be indebted to Robin for introducing passionfruit curd to my palate.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
KelsoGemini49, Owner at The Old Priory Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Aha the first mention of the fabulous passion fruit curd. Kelso Wholefoods are doing a roaring trade in it from our guests!

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review it really helps get the word out there.

It was nice to meet you all and your friends and we were glad to help.

Best wishes

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed here with my daughter in mid October. We loved everything. The room, the breakfast, the friendly host (Robin), the location and the 'homely feeling' were all wonderful. I visit Kelso quite often and hope to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

We would love to have you back.

Thank you for your review, hopefully you survived the worst of the winter weather and are starting to come out of hibernation.

Look us up in the future and many thanks again

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We have stayed at The Old Priory about ten times over the last three years or so, and it is a model of consistent quality in every respect - from the easy on-site parking and warm welcome from Robin to the superbly cooked breakfast. Every detail is spot on; right down to providing wine glasses for that bottle of wine many of us like to enjoy in the evening. The well appointed, en suite rooms are a good size, elegantly furnished and well equipped. The beds are large and supremely comfortable. Indeed, it has become something of a home from home for us as we visit about every three or four months. The breakfast choice is excellent too. I usually opt for some fresh fruit and cereal followed by the full Scottish or the beautifully prepared and presented scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, then toast and preserves. All in all The Old Priory offers a standard of hospitality, accommodation and food which would embarrass many a top hotel and, therefore, I've given it my very rare five star rating.

Room Tip: Tell Robin what you like; extra large bed, especially quiet etc., and he will always do his best for...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear David and Pauline

Thank you for your new review, it makes a huge difference. Hopefully we will see you on your next visit.

We really appreciated the comments about the food and the general standards, it is a difficult job to please everyone and our upgrading is most welcome.

Robin

Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Old Priory is a beautiful old building full of character, gorgeous period features, elegant furniture and all right in the middle of a town that retains individuality and uniqueness. Don't expect the scope but blandness of a typical town but do go and enjoy boutique shopping, good restaurants (we enjoyed Oscars & The Contented Vine), cobbled streets and countryside on the doorstep.
Robin is a convivial host, very willing to offer suggestions of places to visit and things to do. He is also a good cook and we enjoyed two very good breakfasts! Robin & Sue have gone to a lot of effort to provide the extras - luxurious towels, quality bedding, a well stocked hospitality tray, a lounge with a huge array of dvds and an exceptional choice and quality of breakfast options.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, we enjoyed your visit too!

It is always nice when someone takes the trouble to write something and especially good when it is 5*. Kelso is a lovely town and we are so glad that you enjoyed so many aspects of it.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I recently had the pleasure of spending a night in the stunning Turret Room(s), of The Old Priory B&B. My journey there had been long and when I arrived, in a rather chilly Kelso, I was pleased to discover that I could park my car on Woodmarket ... just opposite the B&B! On arrival, I received a very warm welcome from Robin, who proceeded to take my suitcase to my room and then showed me around the tastefully decorated and furnished accommodation, accessible to guests; a cosy and comfortable ambience .. a real sense of 'home from home'. Robin had been in the process of making dinner for other guests, and kindly invited me to partake ... goodness ... and this was only the start of my stay; which I thoroughly enjoyed - the comfortable bed, with fresh & soft sheets, topped with a silk duvet; the generously-sized bathroom with powerful shower & fluffy towels; a delicious fresh breakfast; select choice of teas with jug of fresh milk, for use in my room; free Wi-Fi; well thought out visitors pack; I could go on - I will definitely be back!! .... a little exploring to do, yet - Kelso is seeped in history .. I'd like to explore.

Room Tip: The Turret Room consists of a spacious, yet cosy, bedroom. The bathroom is accessed via a small conn...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stella M
KelsoGemini49, Owner at The Old Priory Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Stella

How thoughtful of you to review us, we knew that you like the house but how!

All we can say is thank you, you saw everything that we have done to make people feel comfortable and the house did its magic.

After a very long season and a few grumblers I can have my holiday knowing that we are still on the right track. Now we get the house to ourselves for a few weeks and boy will I enjoy that.

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours and hopefully we will see you in the New Year.

Best wishes

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Three of us stayed at the old priory for six nights as a base for salmon fishing and golf. .
Very warm welcome at this bed and breakfast with a very homely feel.Good central location.Free parking. Very attentive service/super breakfast choice and outstanding rooms.
Some hotels do not provide the standards and facilitys on offer at the old priory.
Very highly recommended
EX THF AREA MANAGER

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
KelsoGemini49, Owner at The Old Priory Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Lorne, thank you so much for your review, you kept the Trust House Forte bit quiet when you were here!
Glad to have been of service to you , we enjoyed your stay as well and you are welcome back anytime, you will see a link on our Trip Advisor page to the Tour of the Borders which is useful for exploring the area and can be downloaded in pdf form.

We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 8 November 2013

A nice B&B in a good location in centre of town with free parking. We stayed one night and went to visit Floors Castle which was worth seeing. Overall a comfortable stay for a short visit or stop over in Kelso.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mac123_12
KelsoGemini49, Owner at The Old Priory Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Oh dear.

Something upset you.

Interestingly the review below yours also titled "Comfortable B&B" is from guests who stayed on the same night, see the world of difference.

You must have missed the extras or mistaken us for a hotel as you don't mention the silk duvets,hand made bedspreads and curtains, soft towels, free WI-FI, free toiletries, free hospitality tray, two sitting rooms ( a B&B has no communal areas in Visit Scotland rules), 7 choices of breakfast . More than a hotel would give and at B&B price.

B&B is as much about the customer as the place, it is their ability to choose wisely and enter into the ambience of the home understanding that a family home cannot and chooses not to be the sterile enviroment of some Travel Lodge type situations. A home from 1796 cannot be all glittery bathrooms and clean lines, it is a house that was built before bathrooms were thought of, before bikes were invented and has history attached. We feel that we have not spolt the integrity of the house by pandering to modern fads and the house will stand with its original features long after we are dead. Nevertheless we do have all the amenities that you would expect such as great water pressure, warm rooms and antique furniture.

If that is not what you wanted, sorry but as the other review shows different stokes for different folks, pity that you couldn't have spoken to me. Perhaps your expectation was too high?

Average?