“Lovely”

Ranked #4 of 16 Kelso B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed one night in the four poster room and were more than happy there. OK, the decor wasn't perfect but it didn't matter. The only thing that spoiled it was the weather and nothing we could do about that. The view from the windows would have been lovely any other time. There were bottles of water and copious amounts of toffees, tea and coffee in the room and the prosecco on ice for our arrival and fresh roses were a lovely and much appreciated touch for a quick romantic break. Breakfast was great and really set us up for the day. It was nice to have breakfast around one big table - very sociable. As commented on by a previous reviewer, there was little contact with the owner, who lives elsewhere, as we let ourselves in using the keycode provided and only saw him at breakfast when he did seem more interested in the couple of fishermen who were staying and was gone long before we checked out.

Room Tip: The four poster room would have lovely views in the summer from double aspect windows over to Floors...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tweedfisher, Manager at Duncan House, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Obviously I am failing to make guests feel fully welcome and I apologise for this. Most of our fishers are regulars and they assume that they can monopolise my time, sometimes to the detriment of other guests.

All of the guests at Duncan House are equally important to me but since we run a communal dining table I cannot control the conversation at table, this is driven by the guests themselves.

If I left early it was to go shopping for the next round of guests while leaving you in the capable hands of Rachel and Eleanor.

Jeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bridge of Weir, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just back from an overnight stay. Sadly for me I cannot agree with the previous reviews, which I have to say I took on board when booking Duncan House. I am not going to comment on the house, furnishings etc. My disappointment is based solely on the lack of a " warm welcome and personal touch" as per the website. We were met with a notice on the window advising of a mobile number. We phoned this and were told the key lock number and advised that we would find our room key indoors. We were asked at this point what we would like for breakfast. No proprietors contacted us to check that everything was ok or whether we required anything and to be perfectly honest if I knew in advance of this obviously regular arrangement, I wouldn't have gone ahead with the booking. I think the proprietors are very remiss in omitting this info from their website. The morning staff were excellent, but I think our fee is paying for a service as well as appropriately appointed fixtures and fittings. We have Plans to return to Kelso-it's lovely, but sadly not to Duncan House

Room Tip: Yarrow has no river views, is on 1st floor so remember to consider the Georgian plumbing noises whic...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tweedfisher, Manager at Duncan House, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Sadly we are not available 24/7 as are fully staffed hotels so we are not always able to be around to welcome guests. The key safe etc are a fall back position to ensure guests are not inconvenienced while we leave dinner, friends or whatever aspect of our personal life that we attempt to have during the season - 10 months in our case.
We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make amends if you return to Kelso even if you choose to stay elsewhere.
We do take ALL guests comments on board but simply cannot be around all of the time for all of the guests.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A wonderful, friendly guest house with a personal touch. We stayed here for one night and the staff were lovely, we shared a bottle of wine with the owner in the garden and enjoyed a home cooked breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tweedfisher, Owner at Duncan House, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for your kind response - we do try to make people feel at home.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

For anyone who needs to be in the Kelso area for a few days, the warmth of welcome and standard of B&B accomodation offered by Duncan house could not be bettered. With the views over the Tweed and access to the riverbank park just down the alleyway, our labrador also found the setting perfect. It seemed a shame our visit had to be so brief. We hope to be back. Thank you .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom C
Tweedfisher, Owner at Duncan House, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Glad you labrador enjoed Kelso.

I like it here!

Susie (the black lab that runs Duncan House)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

We have recently returned from another stay at Duncan House and again (4th visit) the owners and staff made our mini break wonderful. From the great views in our bedroom to the heartwarming breakfast we cannot fault this little gem and will certainly be returning in the future.
Dave & Ang

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tweedfisher, Owner at Duncan House, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Your comment say it all, we thrive on guests who make return visits. Thank you.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I booked last minute with Duncan House. Luckily they could accomodate me. I really just thought all I needed was a bed for the night before I went fishing the next day. When I got there I couldn't believe I had the right place. £50 for the night! Seriously, this place is the best B&B I've ever stayed in and I stay in hotels all the time with my work. Nice ones too. The owner is absolutely brilliant. Within minutes I felt as though I was born at Duncan House. I wish I was because its an absolutely stunning Georgian? large town house stuffed with beautiful antiques, fishing memorabilia, beautiful original art and log fires. My room? Only en suite with a massive cast iron deep free standing bath and a king size bed with views over the river Tweed. Breakfast? Absolutely as good as everything else. Why wouldn't it be? This guy is like me. His attention to detail knows no bounds. Every aspect of this 'cheap get my head down for the night' stay was first class and I mean that. I really do.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tom B
Tom

Thanks for your review.

As you know we aim to make fishers comfortable especially early and late in the year when the river is cold!

Crieff, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at this charming and beautifully set out B&B. We were welcomed with open arms and truly felt that we were a returning customer from Jeff and Kate. The open views over the river Tweed on the Junction beat are truly stunning. We had probably the best breakfast that we have ever had and there have been many trips for comparisons. The owner Geoff kindly brought down our lunch on a couple of the days and this was a gastronomical extravaganza with the sea food platter wanting you to spend more time in the fishing hut than returning to fish. Bedrooms were again fantastic, I just can’t say enough about this lovely place. Many thanks to our hosts for their hospitality and we are looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mayfly22
Tweedfisher, Owner at Duncan House, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Needless to say we look forward to seeing you again.