“recent food”
Review of The Waggon

The Waggon
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Kelso
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Waggon Inn , in Kelso, located centrally in this charming historic Border town. A treat awaits within, with excellent fresh food offerings, at great value for money prices, available both in our restaurant and comfortable bar/seating area.Owned & operated by Brian & Joyce and their team, a warm welcome is extended as you enter this fresh, airy and friendly environment.The varied menu provides a wealth of dishes to cater for all occasions, all freshly cooked from locally sourced produce.The Waggon Inn has the added bonus of a Kiddies Playroom, to keep the little ones amused while you relax over a meal.We look forward to seeing you soon
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I visit the waggon frequently either with friends or family and always love it and never have a bad meal. I also always recommend the waggon to anyone who asks for a nice restaurant in kelso. However, I was there just very recently and had the nachos which are normally a decent portion size for the price and was very disappointed that the portion size had reduced significantly although the price remained the same. Even for a starter these are the smallest portion of nachos I have had anywhere and will not risk having them again as I left hungry for the first time in years from a meal there. However everyone else food looked amazing and will still hurry back

Waggoninn, Owner at The Waggon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visits to our restaurant. I am sorry that you were unhappy with your starter on this occasion and I very much hope that when you raised this with a staff member at the time that we were able to fix this issue for you. We have indeed looked at the plating for the nachos as the starter size was, according to most of our customers, far to big and there have been occasions that main meals have been cancelled as the nachos starter was too filling. Indeed, some customers were ordering the starter nachos as their main course meal, so it was very obvious to me that we needed to do something about the portions/plating - therefore starter nachos are now served on the same plate as our other starter options. Unfortunately I believe the evening you were in was in fact the first night we tried the new plates and I feel that we have since modified the portion again slightly. I am sorry that you didn't find the nachos value for money, starting at just £3.50 I feel that they are a good value for money starter. Once again I can only apologise to you that on this occasion your meal was not up to our usual standard.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was amazed by the smell as I entered. Gorgeous inviting place. Service was fast, friendly and the free refils were a bonus! Then the food came it was delicious, amazing value for the portions, tasty, filling. Everything was fresh, hot and AMAZING! Cannot recommend enough!

Waggoninn, Owner at The Waggon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you very much indeed for your wonderful review of your recent visit to our restaurant. I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal and very much look forward to your return visit

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I first visited the Wagon some years ago, when it mounted a disintegrating cart on its roof and the interior was also very much in need of some TLC; my main memory is of a strong smell of old cooking and a general lack of welcome from both staff and customers. I was so unimpressed I never went back until recently, but in the last few weeks have had lunch there several times. On each visit I've been very impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of the serving staff - there only seem to be two of them, the place has always been busy, yet no-one seemed to be kept waiting. The food is really very good,with plenty of choice, the portions generous, and the prices very reasonable. Wines are of good quality and also well priced. Its a nice place to sit in, with comfortable well-spaced seating, always buzzy, and good views of the passing show in one of Kelso's more interesting streets from the large windows. There is an excellent childrens' indoor play area just off the bar. .

1  Thank Allan J
Waggoninn, Owner at The Waggon, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you very much indeed for such a wonderful review. We are so pleased to hear that you have been visiting us regularly and hope that you continue to do so. I will ensure all staff hear about your fabulous feedback.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

10 of us ate dinner here during a hen wknd. Everyone had a nice meal, service was good, everyone friendly and very reasonable prices.

Waggoninn, Owner at The Waggon, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review and we are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the macaroni cheese. Hope you visit us again if you are back in the area soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We find the Waggon a great place to eat with two young children. Great selection of food, well presented, generous portions, and well priced.

Waggoninn, Owner at The Waggon, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Many thanks for your review. Hope to see you again soon.