“OK.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newton Stewart
Galloway Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Newton Stewart
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“OK.”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Popped in for a late lunch a few weeks back and although the place has been done up a fair bit the service was not great. Menu is OK, but limited late afternoon and I had soup as it was either that or nachos. Soup was lukewarm, a pet hate for me when it comes to soup as it should always be piping hot. Prices are fine and the hotel itself as I said is lovely, but it comes up short when it comes to service and food available at that time of day.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neil34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Service outstanding, about two weeks ago I happened to say to co-owner of the hotel that I would love to try sweet potato chips sometime. I had no memory of this discussion when I ordered and asked for potato chips with my meal. When our food arrived there were two portions of chips, regular and sweet potato, she had remember our conversation. This really impressed me and added to my enjoyment of the occasion.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Went to the Galloway for a family meal to celebrate a 21 st birthday. We were given a private room which we were able to decorate which was great. superb food and great service. No complaints and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
York
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I were staying in Newton Stewart and were recommended this place to eat by the guest house owner where we were staying. To be fair, the place doesn't look much from the outside and if, like us, you approach down the steps from the back, it looks awful. However, undeterred, we went inside and, whilst it appeared empty (we found out why on our second visit), the staff were pleasant and efficient and the food was excellent. So good, in fact, that we decided to return there on our third night. It was really warm and we asked if we could sit outside and we discovered a really nice beer garden and outside eating area. the food was just as good the second time and the dessert - a panecotta - deserves a special mention and was to die for. Don't be put off by outside appearances as the food is excellent and, although a little more expensive than average, is worth it. I believe it's been in the same hands for a while and the chef has been there for a while which is usually a good sign.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rmc12York
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 7 December 2013

A minging room with dirty, tatty decor and en suite, (smothering everything with febreeze does not make it clean or turn threadbare bedding into new bedding). You almost end up admiring their brass neck for charging top dollar.

Don't waste your money. In fact, I'd probably give south west Scotland a wide birth altogether; you won't be dissapointed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank mutley d

Travellers are raving about these Newton Stewart hotels

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

If you want to go to bed warm, comfortable and with a smile on your face this is the hotel for you. It is a hotel – the oldest in Newton Stewart – full of character and characters. And, of course, Newton Stewart is the ideal base for touring the ins and outs of South West Scotland.
Our room was spacious, stylish and very comfortable as were the beds. And very quiet. The owner and staff were warm, welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We felt like part of the family by the time we left.
The food was amazing. From the breakfasts of creamy porridge – made properly, juicy kippers and mouth watering bacon, mushrooms – again cooked properly not in water – tasty sausages, succulent bacon and eggs with big golden yolks to the lunches and dinners with aromatic haggis, fantastic venison and delicious lamb steaks. The apple and pear crumble with custard can only be described as the ambrosia of the gods!
We booked in for two nights after sampling the lunch menu but then extended our stay to four nights because we liked it so much.

Room Tip: Room 11 is great!