“Great Hotel, Friendly Staff”
Review of Bruce Hotel

Bruce Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Newton Stewart
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here as part of a quiet weekend away. We found the staff (particularly the manager) very friendly and the room was very clean and spacious. The TV was a bit small but we were there to enjoy the local area, not watch tv. Very comfy bed.

We ate one night in the restaurant which was nice and good value for money. The steak I had was particularly good. Its not often I go to a restaurant and get a steak cooked exactly the way I want it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ggsinclair
There are newer reviews for Bruce Hotel

Reviewed 27 June 2011

There was 5 of us, had 1 double room and 3 twin rooms, very clean and plenty of room. We had an evening meal, which was very nice. I did ask the waiter for the garlic mushrooms recipe, but he wouldent part with it, lol. The staff were very friendly, they went out of there way to help us. Just wish we could have stayed longer than one night. Well we would definetely recommend this hotel. Thanks to all at the Bruce for making our short stay a welcome one. The Whiteford family from Cambridgeshire.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MagzCambridge
Reviewed 23 June 2011

This is a lovely little hotel but you do need to remember this is a 3 star hotel, charging 3 star prices. I thought the public areas and restaurant were perfect adequate. We had dinner in the restaurant but sadly we were the only ones. The food was perfectly average and very reasonably priced. I couldnt fault the staff. They were all really friendly, helpful and courteous. Its just such a shame that there was hardly anyone in the bar or restaurant. Our bedroom was ok but I had to keep reminding myself it was only a 3 star. It wasnt really our taste, quite tatty around the edges and fairly outdated, however our bed was clean and comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. The views over the hills were prettuy impressive too. There is plenty of parking around the back of the hotel with a small lawn/beer garden.
Yes I would stay here again as its affordable and you get what you pay for. I could also say I have stayed at worse yet paid more so their tiny bit outdated bedrooms hasnt put me off.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The staff at this hotel are brilliant. Very helpful and friendly. Our stay was marred by some wet weather which joined us through a leak in the hotel roof.

The hotel rooms while very clean could do with a little upgrade and fresh coat of paint. Apart from this a good hotel and good VFM.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Petrichor11
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night on business. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The location of the hotel is ideal for accessing Newton Stewart and the back has some country views. I had an evening meal which was ok and breakfast was also of a similar standard. The most disappointing factor was the quality of the rooms, which are in desperate need of modernisation. The furniture in my room looked like it had not been replaced for a very long time and it needed redecorating. I would probably not stay at this hotel again, although it was reasonably priced and offers fairly good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Our rambling group spent an excellent weekend here. We were made very welcomeand allocated our rooms.Mine had lovely view over the Galloway hills. It was a bit "tired" but clean and comfortable with everything necessary. The service for meals was very efficiently carried out by friendly staff, and the food was well cooked and presented, with a good choice and plenty of it! The packed lunches were also excellent, in fact, too much!! The terms negotiated were very favourable giving extremely good value for money and I would not hesitate to recommend it to other groups and would return myself. Sheila.

Room Tip: Ask for view of hills
  • Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank rambler1944
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We stayed at the Bruce in March 2011. As a riposte to the review dated 22nd January 2011, we found all the staff to be friendly and helpful, including the manager who was so roundly attacked in that review. The room was comfortable, and had an excellent view. We booked for the night, including breakfast and dinner, and it was an extremely good value package. The menu was varied, and the food good, with very reasonably priced wine.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Bargrennan
Stables Guest House
Stables Guest House
#1 of 17 in Newton Stewart

Been to Bruce Hotel? Share your experiences!