“Great start to the holiday”

The Market Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
lancashire
“Great start to the holiday”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Stayed here for three nights at the beginning of my Scottish holiday. I was shown to a very basic bedroom with a very basic shower/ensuite. I was immediately offered an upgrade after the first night (without me asking). I decided to stay in the room however because it was perfectly adequate for my needs. I ate in the hotel each evening and the food was very well presented - and very eagerly eaten. The breakfasts which were also perfect can only be described as gargantuan. There is certainly no need for lunch if you stay in this hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and always pleasant and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in or around Castle Douglas. I shall certainly stay here again if I am in Soouth West Scotland.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank parocco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I visited the hotel with work colleagues and I can honestly say the hotel and staff were well above my expectations. the rooms were very clean and decorated tastefully and I would recomend this hotel to anyone who is looking for I nice brack away with family friends or work collegues. The staff could not do enough and they were always willing to help and assure that your stay was as enjoyable as possible, The market town of castle douglas has plenty to offer too with something for everyone

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank barrymclean
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My partner and I booked two nights, Thursday and Friday, at the Market Inn as it was well placed for us to drive round Dumfries and Galloway and explore.
Booking was easy by email, and the price was right (£80 per room per night B&B). Room was fine - nothing special but clean and spacious. Staff very friendly on arrival.
Ate there on the Thursday night and had a nice, reasonably priced meal. Again, the staff were lovely.
There are several bar areas downstairs and these were very popular with locals. Fine, but it turned into a loud thumping disco until midnight - bit much on a Thursday night! Same again on Friday, and some sort of fight broke out just after midnight, spreading into areas close to our room. It was just people who'd had a bit too much to drink, but no-one came to suggest that they move it away from areas where people may be sleeping - very noisy and very annoying.
If you need a decent-priced base while working in the area with somewhere to have a few drinks, a decent home-cooked meal, then a bit of fun in the bar, then perfect.
For us, we were after a quiet place to stay on a short break, and it just didn't work. I would certainly not recommend for other tourists.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Kirkcudbright
The Old Station House
The Old Station House
#4 of 13 in Castle Douglas

Been to The Market Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!