“The best B&B I've ever known”
Review of Isla Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castle Douglas
Isla Cottage
Ranked #6 of 13 Castle Douglas B&B and Inns
Taunton, England
“The best B&B I've ever known”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here 8 nights while exploring Dumfries and Galloway, and had chosen Isla Cottage because as a solo traveller I wanted a small, friendly B&B. I was not disappointed! The level of service and hospitality offered by Caroline and Stewart is unmatched in my experience of B&Bs. Caroline would come out to greet me whenever I returned from my days' travels and chat to me in the lounge about what I'd seen and done. She was kind enough to do a load of washing for me during my stay, which was part of a longer tour in the north. My room and bathroom were spacious and equipped with everything for a comfortable, "home from home" stay. The bedding and toiletries were of a high standard. The refreshment tray included filter coffee and a cafetiere; there were always different (local) biscuits and a chocolate every day, and fresh milk in a flask. The pretty china, crystal glasses and starched napkins in the dining room provided a gracious setting for wonderful breakfasts, beautifully cooked and attractively served. The choice of food offered, all of it local, was exceptional, and I must mention in particular Caroline's delicious, light omelettes with cheese/mushrooms/tomato; also the fresh fruit salads and 4 types of homemade preserves! Her thoughtful attention to detail and perfection in what she provides is amazing. The B&B is on a main road, the A75, but the rooms are at the back overlooking a pretty garden and the countryside, so you don't really notice the traffic. It is well placed for touring and visiting local attractions such as Threave Gardens and the Red Kite Trail. Caroline was happy for me to bring in food to eat in the dining room if I didn't want to go out for an evening meal. When I left, Stewart presented me with a wooden bird feeder which he'd made and on which he had engraved my name. Isla Cottage is a truly exceptional B&B and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Both double rooms are a good size and similar, overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
winks2010, Owner at Isla Cottage, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Our longest staying guest at 8 nights and clearly we have ticked all the boxes for you. Thank you so much for your amazing review, the effort and time you have given, we are so grateful. It is always a struggle to attract visitors to Dumfries & Galloway but once here people are so glad they came and return time after time. Thank you for all the feedback you have given and we hope prospective guests will have no hesitation in booking Isla Cottage B&B as a result.
PS - 4 baby swallows fledged above the front door!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Our recent stay at Isla Cottage was everything we hoped it would be and more! We arrived to the warmest of welcomes from Caroline and Stewart and they were very helpful in advising us of places to visit throughout our time with them. Isla Cottage provides absolutely everything you could wish for in a b&b- our room was large and had a wonderful view of the garden and beyond. Caroline had even arranged for a beautiful full moon on our first night there! Breakfast was the best meal of our day by far, with a wonderful choice of locally produced food. I am very happy to unreservedly recommend Isla Cottage to others.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
winks2010, Owner at Isla Cottage, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review and delighted we are living up to our Visit Scotland Award "Taste the Best". Having lived in Dumfries and Galloway all our lives, needless to say we just love it and being outdoor people ourselves try to explore as many walks etc as we can. You can't beat personal recommendations and therefore we are truly grateful to you for doing just that.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Caroline and Stewart do everything they can to ensure a wonderful stay in their B&B, including the lending of binoculars to help in spotting the varied wildlife in the area! We stayed for four nights in the spacious and very comfortable twin room. Isla Cottage is situated on the main A75 so at times there is a lot of traffic but the guest rooms are at the back of the house. Caroline's breakfasts were scrumptious and she uses fruits grown in her own garden and in the local area to make preserves and also serves them with yoghurt. The bacon, eggs and sausages are also sourced from local businesses. Caroline and Stewart know the area well so are only too willing to advise on places to visit and where to eat. As I am allergic to some nuts, it was great to have the ingredients of each of the cereals attached to their containers. China cups and crystal glasses all add to this spotleesly clean and lovely B&B which I would highly recommend

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
winks2010, Owner at Isla Cottage, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Stewart and I try hard to make people feel at home in Isla Cottage and are only too happy to help out any way we can - so no problem to borrow binoculars and maps. So glad you enjoyed my food, it really makes it worthwhile when I get such brilliant feedback. Hope you will come back to Dumfries & Galloway, especially next year when many businesses will be taking part in "Savour the Flavours" by offering local produce in many different forms. Easter has been beautiful in Galloway this year and it was good to have guests come and appreciate just what is on offer here. Delighted with your review and thank you again for taking the time to do it.
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We took a short break to celebrate Hogmanay with family in Springholm. As such we stayed on a room only basis with my son (14) and daughter (12) sharing the twin room and we stayed in the double. Both bedrooms were spacious with en suite facilities of the highest order. There were TV's in both rooms which met the kids needs as well as the free WiFi throughout which is pretty much a must nowadays. Everything was clean and immaculate with plenty of room to rest and adequate seating to relax in.
What really makes this a B&B of the highest quality is the welcome from Caroline and Stewart and the attention to detail. Everything you could want was pretty much there and if it wasn't then Caroline would have seen to it. There were the little touches from the quality bedding and toiletries, biscuits, tea and coffee varieties right through to the bedside chocolates.
I took advantage of the guests lounge. Again immaculate with plenty of room and the location of the complimentary whisky and port which came as something of another pleasant surprise! All in all this is a wonderful B&B and no doubt our base for future family visits.
We spent some time in the village pub, The Grapes, which is a few doors down the road. A great traditional pub, nothing flash but a friendly atmosphere and the food is plentiful and pretty good to.
My only regret is not being able to taste Caroline's award winning breakfast due to the family committment. However its a must for the next visit and I'll just have to make my excuses !!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
winks2010, Owner at Isla Cottage, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Our apologies, Trip Advisor normally sends us alerts when a review is placed but it just didn't happen. That was a wonderful long and detailed review - what a pleasure to read, we are delighted we met all your needs for the whole family and we thoroughly enjoyed having you all to stay. This was a first time to have guests at New Year for us. I hope you enjoyed my breakfasts on your second stay and that we haven't lost any of our 'sparkle' since your stay at the beginning of January! We hope you will stay with us in the future when you are in the area. Thank you for taking the time to do your review, we are delighted with it.
Ayrshire, Iowa
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We chose this wonderful B and B due to its location for a business meeting and what a treat it was. We arrived later in the evening which wasn't a problem and were given a very warm and informative welcome. The room was very comfortable and very clean. Caroline and Stewart have created a real home from home and every tiny detail thoroughly thought through down to the small information cards offering toothbrushes and wifi code. In the ensuite good quality toiletries were supplied and luxurious towels provided. The bed was very comfortable and both my husband and I slept well with plenty of bedding and pillows. Breakfast was a feast and nothing was too much trouble. The homemade preserves and Caroline's passion for local produce provided an education as to what Dumfries and Galloway had to offer. I defy anyone to find fault with this delightful B and B.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
winks2010, Owner at Isla Cottage, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Delighted you enjoyed your stay at Isla Cottage and everything was to your satisfaction. We are really pleased with your kind comments about our Bed and Breakfast. Many of our guests use our visitors book but few tend to go as far as Tripadvisor so thank you so much for that. We hope you will visit us again sometime soon and sample some more of our local produce!
Doncaster
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Caroline and Stuart made us very welcome, the rooms are very well equipped to a very high standard. Top notch beverage tray with filter coffee and nice biscuits and fresh milk as well. Lovely bathroom, comfy bed with good quality bed linen. Smashing views over the countryside.
The food was amazing, all the breakfast items were carefully made and locally sourced from excellent producers. The preserves were out of this world, the meats and fish were lovely.free range eggs, two kinds of sausage, premium local bacon I'll stop there although there is lots more. Lots of information is available.there is a proper pub nearby. Don't be put off by the roadside location, you barely notice it, the rooms are at the back. There is parking and it is easy to find. Caroline and Stuart go to so much trouble they should win an award. I am sure we will be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
winks2010, Owner at Isla Cottage, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
It requires some effort but mainly a great deal of thought writing a review on tripadvisor and you have covered everything that we feel is important to our guests - thank you so much for taking the time to do a review. Stewart and I are delighted with your comments and pleased you had a wonderful weekend both at Isla Cottage and sampling the delights of Flavour Fortnight in this lovely part of Dumfries and Galloway. We look forward to seeing you all again sometime soon.
Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

What a welcome we received at Isla Cottage - we were made to feel very at home by Caroline & Stewart who treasted us s if we were old friends, despite just having met for the first time!! Our room was lovely, very comfortable and with a stunning view. Breakfast was superb. Thank you Carolkine & Stewart for making us feel so welcome and we hope to be back again in August for a bit longer next time.

Can also thoroughly recommend The Grapes pub next door - again very welcoming and the food was excellent and great value.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda and Jim H
winks2010, Owner at Isla Cottage, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments - we do try to make our guests feel very welcome and a little pampered, that is how we like to be treated when we stay in other B&B's when on holiday. So glad you felt we achieved this and I shall pass your good comments on to the Grapes village Pub too. Look forward to seeing you again in August.