“Artisan food at its best!”
Review of The Schoolhouse

The Schoolhouse
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Kent, United Kingdom
“Artisan food at its best!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have visited this little gem several times and both the food and service have been excellent each time. Situated on the main A75, 5 miles west of Castle Douglas, the Schoolhouse offers a fabulous range of high quality food. Sandwiches, paninis; fresh salads; soups, and of course lots of variety in terms of home-baked cakes etc. Most of their food is produced in-house from locally sourced produce, and very skilled they are at it to! They also cater for vegetarians of course, and they are also licensed.
Service has always been prompt and the staff are very polite and courteous.
I am surprised that this is the first review for `The Schoolhouse', but I'm sure it won't be the last!

• Visited June 2014

Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Took an elderly relative for a light Saturday lunch, and it suited us perfectly. Everything on the menu appealed, but as it happened the three of us all chose the same thing: a prawn open sandwich with marie rose sauce on rye bread with a beetroot salad - so delicious that we tried to replicate it subsequently at home! Local beers in bottles.

North-West UK
“Not ready for hungry customers”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

They were clearly having a bad day - or trying too much with too few staff. It was crowded - a gift for business surely. Bank holidays are bound to be busy, so why it was all too much for the team is baffling. And being denied crisps on the side of salad because they 'didn't now how to price for it' (we suggested a pound!?) almost made us leave. But the food was nice, after we'd coped with the hassle of feeling we were in their way. And kind of got an apology. Presumably it's best to go when no one else wants to eat and you can have undivided attention.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Moikul
Galloway, Scotland
“good food but. . . . .”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was my second visit in a month. I decided to give it another go after being slightly undecided after my first visit. My decision is now clear. . . Pretty good home cooked food but. . . Atmosphere depressing. One member of staff managed to force a smile the rest were miserable but I'm not surprised. It must be awful working for/with such a sour faced woman owner. This woman seems to have had a total charisma bypass. If you the diner can ignore her then I think you WILL be happy with the food.

4 Thank The-Gallovidian
Honiton, United Kingdom
“delicious food and great care taken over my dietary sensitivities”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Three of us went to the Schoolhouse for lunch at the weekend. It is a very welcoming, warm and bright place with an open fire. There was quite a wide range of food on the menu, some quite unique. They use locally sourced food, including free range eggs (important to us as we like hens). I have allergies to several foods. I told the waitress what they were. The chef ( I think it was Caroline, the owner) very kindly came out and took time to discuss this (busy Sunday lunchtime). She was exceptionally kind and made sure she could provide something delicious despite my problems. The meal was one of the best that any of us has ever eaten - we fought over the lentil soup and the sweet potato, chilli and coconut soup. She made gluten-free gravy for my meat so it wasn't the usual boring, dry Sunday lunch which I have (to avoid wheat) if I eat out. The others enjoyed their Greek salad and roast beef. I was not ill afterwards (as is often the case after eating out) so the chef really did avoid the things to which I am sensitive. We cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and we will be back (although they may need more staff if a lot more customers with my kind of food allergies appear!).