“Lovely stop for morning coffee”
Review of The School House

The School House
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated beside the main A75, just outside the village of Ringford and some 3 miles inland from the artists town of Kirkcudbright. The restaurant is in what was the local primary and junior school for the village and surrounding area and closed in 1977. Originally opened around 1983 as a tea-room, we are now only the third owners having taken it over in 2006. Our background is in retail delicatessens as much as in restaurant food and when you visit you will see that in the refrigerated display in the restaurant. We are proud of our food and almost everything that can be made on the premises is - the list is long but includes our own bread, all the cakes, desserts and traybakes, home cooked ham, our own jam, cranberry sauce, hummus and much more. We are open from 10 am serving food all day through to last orders at 6 pm ( 4 pm some days in the winter months) but closed on a Wednesday. Whilst we are open all year we do close for a break in November and go into hibernation for January.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

This place offers comfortable sofas or more conventional tables and chairs in a friendly, relaxing atmosphere. The coffee was lovely and the carrot cake delicious, both served by a charming young lady. They also sell some items to take away, ranging from hummus to cakes. Do call in if you are passing - you won’t regret it.

David L, Guest Relations Manager at The School House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Wonderful Mysore coffee from Brodie’s of Edinburgh, we only brew half a pot at a time- so you will never, ever get stale bitter coffee. Just one example of our attention to quality. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Every year I come on holiday to visit my mother and we always pay a visit to the schoolhouse. I consider it the highlight of my trip as the food is wonderful. I had the Chicken and leek pie on this occasion and all I can say is Wow!! It was fantastic. Combined with service from a great staff too. You are missing out if you drive past this wee gem without stopping.

1  Thank Ian C
David L, Guest Relations Manager at The School House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Thank you, lovely to know that you value our food and service to look forward to your visit so much.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Superb venue for a relaxing meal if you are en route to the Ferry at Cairnryan Stranraer. Good menu choice with table service and adequate parking outside. Ideal for disabled all on one level. Home made cakes are a real luxury!

2  Thank janeH5350UO
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

This was my second visit to the Schoolhouse. It’s a lovely unassuming restaurant. Fantastic food, service is great and excellent selection of deserts. Good local beer too!
Highly recommended.

1  Thank RonnieRambler
Reviewed 9 May 2018

My wife & I have a Caravan in the area so are regular visitors to these Tea Rooms. They serve first class food & drink at competitive prices in unique premises at an easy to access location by the side of the A75. For me their crowning glory is their "Big Breakfast", one of the best I've ever had (& I've had a few!!), dependant on the time of day it's not always on the menu, however on those occasions if I've requested it they've always produced it for me even if extremely busy--great service indeed!

1  Thank MIKE G