“Great food, great beer, lovely host”
Review of Laurie Arms Hotel

Laurie Arms Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castle Douglas
Laurie Arms Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Castle Douglas B&B and Inns
Leicester, UK
“Great food, great beer, lovely host”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This was a welcome haven on a rainy evening while we were camping. The landlady was really friendly and the food absolutely delicious. We both had a scrummy haggis stuffed chicken and then a chocolate torte and a rhubarb and lemon sponge. 3 beers and a soft drink. total £40. very good value. Far more quiet than it should be. Go go go!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Rebecca D

Solo
Business
Dalbeattie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Good food freshly made, prompt service with a smile. A great selection of draught beers and a warm log fire. What more do you need?
Lasagne was home made but I should have ordered chips on the side. Scampi for my mother-in-law was up to scratch. My wife had homemade Shepards Pie and reported it delicious.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Midlands UK
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We were not the only ones eating, another tourist family were just finishing as we came in, but the restaurant was unused as the pub was really quiet. The food was ok but quite high prices, however I am aware that prices in quiet areas are always higher as there is not the quantity of people to keep profits up. The pub is old fashioned (this may suit some people more) and there is no lounge. (I guess the restaurant was once the lounge) The staff were friendly and service was good however we left slightly disappointed.I have heard excellent reports of Sunday lunches (three courses for £15) so maybe we came at the wrong time of day?

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Out for my birthday with family.I have a 5yr old and a 2yr old who do not like to sit still.made very welcome on entry.offered toys forv the kids.gr8 choice the menu and specials .hubby and I had fillet steak met in the mouth.kids had sausage and macaroni portions just wright.service faltless.will be back.

• Stayed January 2013
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

The restaurant looked full in the Laurie Arms so we ate in the bar. We were in the corner round from the bar and the view was not glamorous, but the big beautifully cooked lamb shank resting on a bed of delicious mashed potatoes was all I wanted to look at!!. The meal was accompanied by carrots, brocolli and ratatouille. Friends had haddock peas and chips (I tasted the fish and it was good, nice crisp batter) Gammon and chips and the sea bream with new potatoes all pronounced very good. My lamb was £12.95 which I thought was very good value.We couldn't manage a pudding, I heard the waitress say to another customer that the rhubarb sponge and custard was good. I liked the look of the choices on the special menu, baked avacodo with blue cheese stuffing and venison sausages with mash, We are on holiday in the area and will not be going back, unfortunately, for me to try these treats!!,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Had a pleasant evening and meal in the Laurie Arms with friends/relatives and it appeared to tick all the boxes required for a small village pub on a November evening It had a roaring log fire in each of the two bars, the welcome was warm and meaningful, the service was easy and pleasant, the food was good, and the atmosphere just right. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends