“Excellent Food”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were booked in Friday (23.06.14) and have to say the food was beautiful. The staff were friendly and Nikkos the chef came out to see how our night went, he was very polite. I would definitely visit again and would not hesitate recommending this restaurant.

2  Thank Alan B

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just stopped off on way to ferry. It was a Friday night and place was almost empty

Handed us a menu with no prices on it. we ordered a starter and a main each - one soup and one mushroom starter and one chicken dish and meatballs with chips washed down with one beer and a coke

It was £55 for two. FIFTY FIVE POUNDS

The food quality was good - high. The starters were delicious and the mains were fine if a little small in portion size. I asked for a receipt as were on business and they could only give me a hand written as they were "just open" and the till wasn't working.

Not sure if it has changed hands since the earlier reviews. The food is good. The price isnt

2  Thank CrowdSafety
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Castle Douglas is one of the last places I would expect to find a Greek restaurant, but I was delighted to come across it. (The name outside it is Blackwater Bistro but perhaps that was the name of a previous venture.) CD styles itself a Food Town - I'm not sure why- but it's certainly worth visiting it in order to have a meal here.
We popped in for lunch and had Imam Bayildi. It was very succulent and tasty, with a nice fresh salad. I would have preferred it with the addition of garlic personally. The evening menu is more extensive but there was much to tempt me on the lunch menu.
A number of tables were ordering pizzas which was their choice,of course, but seemed like a waste of an opportunity to eat well prepared "real" food.
The owner and staff were friendly and efficient.
I am looking forward to having dinner there on my next trip to D and G.

3  Thank Bonniebraes
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The food here is very authentic and tasty unlike some of the food we had in Greek tourist resorts. Nikos is a very pleasant man who insisted upon giving us a lift back to our accommodation outside the town. What service! I particularly enjoyed the prawns in a delicious sauce with feta, followed by the best moussaka I have ever eaten. The house wine was very good too. It is evident that Nikos really cares about his cuisine. Thank you for a memorable meal-sadly we live too far away to return for some time.

2  Thank cymruambith
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We have been using Niikos since it opened. This is not a restaurant to visit if you are in a hurry. Service can be slow as the food is prepared to order. However the food is always worth waiting for. The owner and staff are friendly and the atmosphere relaxed. A great place for a leisurely social meal. The mezze to share is to be recommended and the mezze nights are well worth booking for. King Street is a great place for some retail therapy lots of independent shops including Jenny Wren a wonderful traditional toy shop.

2  Thank Allen111