“NEW YEAR 2014”

The Urr Valley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed from 30th December to 3rd January, third visit to this hotel, first time at new year, and will certainly be back very soon. The new owners and staff could not do enough to make this an enjoyable time. Food and entertainment were first class. Complaints(nothing major) were listened to and fixed very promptly. Agree with comment on champagne taste and irn bru pockets as there were some obvious examples of this during our visit. This is a really good value hotel, built in the 1700's, obviously in need of refurbishment as it has been neglected by previous owners for quite some time and the new owners are well aware of the scale of this work, and have every intention of doing so.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Laura M

Reviewed 1 January 2014

In general everything was ok staff were very friendly all I would say is some people hav champagne taste with irn bru pockets if u want five star need to pay for it. The grounds were nice hopefully the hotel will get refurbished to a high standard as the decor was a bit dated

3  Thank paulwilliam50
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Average food - nothing too special. Pate for starter was tasty but was just like a lump of sausage meat. It was served with three dry oatcakes but because the pate was so hard you couldn't actually spread it onto it. Puddings a bit of a let down and had clearly just been pulled out of a box!

Staff seemed friendly enough although waitress started to clear our table whilst some of our party were still eating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 846travelercritic
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have nothing good whatsoever to say about my time spent in this hotel. The owners did not care one bit about the residents, complaints were not taken seriously and no effort was made to rectify the problems. Oh the problems, where do I start. Room was freezing, this is December, heating is needed! The rooms were very dated and had a unpleasant odour. The landlady was drunk every time I seen her and often displayed very inappropriate behaviour. The place is extremely short staffed, so no help was available as they were rushed off there feet. Food was edible but the atmosphere put me off it.
Castle Douglas itself is a lovely town and I plan on revisiting in the summer. I however would never stay in this hotel again!

7  Thank Laura_F555
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I thought I had entered a hostel for the homeless - the place was shabby and smelt of damp. The room we were shown was barely furnished, damp, cobwebbed with a dirty toilet. I wanted to leave there and then but my partner asked for another room. This room was bigger and although it too was shabby at least it did not smell of damp. I agreed to spend one night but would not use the shower - the grouting was black. The "dining room" had plastic chairs barely disguised by stretch covers' the place was freezing. I did not sleep a wink due to noisy guests. There is a notice stating that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment. However, it should be shut down and major renovations undertaken or just knocked down.

Room Tip: Do not set foot over the door.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Iona R
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Lady of the house was lovely and explained the hotel is undergoing renovation. Breakfast was good lovely waitress. Room very disappointing for the price, extremely run down and in desperate need of refurbishment but this was not reflected in the price. Exhaust fan cover in bathroom fell off revealing filthy filter, toilet bowl hadnt been cleaned, water pressure non existant in shower and had to use quilt off extra bed to pad the mattress to cover protruding springs.plus one very miserable man in attendance who shouldn't be in the hospitality business.

3  Thank taffie33
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My partner and I decided we needed a short break away before the stress of the Christmas season. We found an amazing deal on wowcher for this hotel which in included two nights with breakfast and a bottle of wine on arrival. Before going I read some horrible reviews but I tried not to let them put me off. On arrival we were amazed by the beautiful scenery surrounding the hotel. The grounds are lovely with great views and as it is away from main roads it is very peaceful. I agree with some other reviews that the hotel is not very modernised but I believe that gives it character. My partner and I were very pleased after asking for an upgrade to the bridal suite. The room was reasonably clean and fresh, there were only two small areas where I found dust. We were a little disappointed out room did not have a great view or a hot tub, but we were still happy to be in it. We found all the appliances to work fine and had a very comfy nights sleep in the bed. The room was always cosy. We found no trouble with using the WiFi after we found out you can ask for the password at reception. Every member of staff we met was very friendly and welcoming and helpful, especially the waitresses. We only had dinner and breakfast on one of the days but the food was tasty and filling. Overall we had a great few days break away and would love to return and see the hotel slowly rising as the new owners keep up with their work in progress. The hotel run Murder Mystery nights which seem appealing. The only fault with our holiday was the timing as many places we wanted to visit were closed for the season but this is obviously not the hotels fault and we can't wait to return in the better seasons!

2  Thank StephB101
#1 of 4 in Kirkcudbright
Clonyard House Hotel
Clonyard House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Dalbeattie

Been to The Urr Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!