“4 murders and a wedding theme murder mystery overnight”

The Urr Valley Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Castle Douglas
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed as a party of 6 for a murder mystery theme night. Great fun. Hotel is dated I agree but rooms spotless and cosy. I have to say though the function room was very cold as in freezing. It actually made the night a tad uncomfortable. The other public areas where fine and the radiators were on full in function room but it just wasn't enough. Lots of folks complaining about the cold during the event.

Breakfast was warm and too plentiful if that's possible. Although we waited 45 mins for breakfast when it arrived it was huge. The meal at the murder mystery was ok. The choices were cottage pie or lasagna. But the staff and the owners were so friendly it made up for any issues we had. The hotel does need some tlc but am sure in time this will happen. Overall a great time had by all. Great fun great hotel would go back again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I received a night with dinner, murder mystery experience and breakfast as part of my 21st. The murder mystery event was by after dark and was really enjoyable and I would definitely book another mystery event with them. However, that was the only enjoyable part of my stay. We were booked into the 'honeymoon suite' which to be fair was a big room with a big bathroom, but the decor was incredibly out dated. I expected a nice older fashioned hotel with lots of character, but instead it looked like it was decorated 100 years ago and hasn't been touched since then and the musty smell confirmed this. Our room was freezing cold and I had to wear my jacket whilst in my room unless I was wrapped in my duvet, the function suite and the restaurant were also freezing and other guests were eating their breakfast with jackets on, I was just fortunate I had brought a big wool jumper. The bathroom walls were stained and the wallpaper cracking, and we had a bath with a shower head, but no where to mount the shower head to have a shower. Later when talking to another couple who were in a standard room they advised us that they had 2 showers! both in bath and a separate shower cubicle. I was incredibly disappointed as we were suppose to be in the nicest quality suite. The food was shocking. I'm not a fussy eater but I couldn't eat my meal and I wasn't the only one. Every person surrounding us left at least a third of their meal and the portions were hardly big. The bread roll and dessert was the only slightly enjoyable part of the 3 course meal. Breakfast wasn't much better, my sausages were dripping with grease. Overall I would not stay or eat in this hotel ever again, I'm just glad I didn't pay a single penny for it.

Room Tip: By the sounds of other guests, if you do stay in this hotel I advise not to waste money on the suite...
1  Thank Jade M
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This hotel must have been a very special dwelling place in the past. Some rooms and parts of the property need some T.L.C .Breakfast was Large with good quality products ,overall a great value stay. Evening meal in bar was also very good . Staff were very helpful when asked. Nice log fire in bar. Open views of hills. Very laid back and relaxing.

Room Tip: We had room 10 which was large and bright with double Aspects , ( that's estate agent speak for...
1  Thank crazychic5
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Great location to explore Dumfries and Galloway, a much overlooked holiday region.

Returned today from a three day break staying at the Urr Valley Hotel.

A building of great charm set in lovely grounds, even at this early time of year.

Parts of the building date from 17th century so it's no glass palace. It has fallen behind in terms of facilities but the new owners have begun a modernisation program and good on them.
If you want shiny glass and brushed steel you're not looking at this beautiful part of the country, are you?

Having arrived and settled into our room (no7 with its 4 poster) we went to look around. Roaring fire and beautiful gundog in the bar.

The Bedroom was warm & plenty of Hot Water on hand to either Shower or relax in the Corner Bath.

We were greeted by our landlady who was charming. We were introduced to our chef who is clearly very passionate about his business. He explained about his commitment to locally sourced and grown produce and it certainly showed in his cooking. He described his menu for the Sunday carvery and, sounding so tempting, we jokingly said it was such a pity for us that, after breakfast we tend to eat later in the day.

Without prompting he offered to feed us from the carvery but in the evening.
Guess what! - we ate off-menu!!!

Breakfast also, was plentiful & pleasant, all cooked fresh & to order.

These are seriously professional people who want to listen to their guests and deliver.

To the new owners, to the waiting staff, to the kitchen brigade and housekeepers - we want to express our thanks for a superb weekend.

Give this cosy Hotel a chance, & try it for yourself.

1  Thank DougAnge
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Just back from 2 nights in room 4 and am shocked at some of the reviews. Whilst even man and his dog are aware that this hotel is in need of a fair amount of refurbishment, it is very clean and tidy and the staff could not be more friendly. People need to remember what you paid here. £30 a night B&B with a bottle of wine and you seriously were expecting 5*? I'd like to thank the owner, staff and Marley for a great stay and 5* food. We cannot wait to come back for a peaceful weekend in a lovely location. Thanks, Chris.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SMOGGYLAND
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Our daughters had booked us in for a couple of days. We arrived to a great looking hotel right next to Castle Douglas. Ideal location.
Once we checked in staff are more than helpful, our tv wasn't working and mentioned it to the staff. They tried to sort the situation out right away. They are only to happy to help. Breakfast is great and there is lots of it, everything hot and again staff very attentive to your needs. Rooms are dated but this place is trying to fix all that up with the money that comes in so over time I reckon it be a great wee location. I would definitely stay again. Big shout out to staff especially Lloyd who couldn't have been any more attentive or accommodating to guests needs, note to the owners ( these guys are a credit to you) :)

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Polgara30
Reviewed 21 February 2014

And in this case a bit more. There is no doubt that our room could have done with a bit of attention however it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I think we paid £59 for bef and breakfast with £30 off our food bill. The best part of our stay was the service and the food. All the staff were warm and friendly. The food we had was excellent! I had the lobster bisque to start and my fiancée had an oriental beef salad. For our main I had salmon with cocunut rice and my partner had the rack of lamb, which was beautifully cooked. The waitress said when it arrived if it was a little underdone she would take it back which I thought was a nice touch however it did not need to be sent back. For dessert we both had chocolate fudge cake, again very nice.

Trip advisor asked me to rate the fitness centre, however I didn't use this so thought it only fair to mark it 5/5.

So like I say don't expect 5 star luxury when you don't pay for it and the hotel doesn't advertise it. However do expect good service and good food.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Gatehouse of Fleet
Imperial Hotel
Imperial Hotel
#13 of 13 in Castle Douglas

Been to The Urr Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!