The Urr Valley Hotel
The Market Inn Hotel(Castle Douglas)
US$118
US$98
US$95
Orbitz.com
US$302
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Bank of Fleet Hotel(Gatehouse of Fleet)(Great Value!)
US$97
Travelocity
Kings Arms Hotel(Castle Douglas)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
The Selkirk Arms Hotel(Kirkcudbright)
TripAdvisor
Murray Arms(Gatehouse of Fleet)
TripAdvisor
Cally Palace Hotel(Gatehouse of Fleet)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and arrived booked the Urr Valley Hotel via a voucher and we both HAVE to say it is really worth the money! Yes, there is some decorating that needs doing but Phil did tell us, and it is clearly stated on their website. Both Angela and Phil(and Marley the dog) welcomed us as if they had met us before.
Our room had everything we could want, with tea, coffee, hot choc etc. Radiators which kept the room lovely and warm, and plenty of hot water. The only very slight downside for me( and my husband would say IT IS just me!), I would have preferred lined curtains to make the room darker on a morning, but I have to say it IS JUST my opinion.
Breakfast was good on a morning, and you helped yourself to cereals, toast and fruit juice. Another point I have to make is that I have an allergy to oranges so I was very happy to see I could have apple juice in the morning. Pots of tea and coffee were offered as soon as we sat down and our full breakfast arrived hot and delicious.
As we were only here for 2 nights, we chose to eat in the hotel the 1st night and I am so glad we did. I would highly recommend the Cumberland sausage and mash, a massive portion and the best I've had. There is a superb selection of meals and drinks, so I defy anyone to say they were hungry after eating here.
As opposed to some of the reviews on here, I did think the hotel was well staffed, with the staff again being very friendly and welcoming, with them remembering and wishing us a Happy Anniversary and also making excellent recommendations of where to visit.
The hotel is very peaceful with wonderful views over the countryside and delightful gardens. Admittedly, the road to the Hotel needs does need the potholes fixing but I'm sure given time Angela and Phil will sort that out.
All in all, a fantastic break and we can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 14. As it has sloped ceilings I would suggest anyone over 6ft tall ask for another room. Apart from that though, everything else was fine.
2  Thank kirasmam
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Two day stay on voucher deal Lovely setting Large clean room Pleasant helpful staff Ate dinner on both nights and very happy with meals both evenings Good sized portions and good home made food Well done to chef Breakfast on first morning very good but a bit second morning a bit disappointing which left us wondering if different cook that occasion ? Enjoyable stay

3  Thank jackie t
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The gardens were beautiful, the food in the restaurant was good, the rooms had lovely toiletries in them, and the tea/coffee/milk,hot chocolate and biscuits in the room were great. The linen was clean. The only let down was the wall paper coming off the walls, the need of serious painting jobs and the bath looked grubby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ClaraP3
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Needs a million or two spent. Massive cracks, peeling wallpaper (that didn't match even when new), flaking paint, mould, dodgy looking electrics. I feel sorry for the staff who looked embarrassed. Decent food.
Strange that one person checked us in, made the bed, did the vacuuming, took our order at breakfast, served us, served evening meals and worked behind the bar.

Room Tip: Wait until it has been refurbished properly, although I doubt it ever will be. Shame.
5  Thank John D
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Well, what a nice place to stay. Owners Phil and Angela very welcoming ,friendly and helpful from the word go.Staff members ...friendly , helpful and efficient .Special mention to " Grace" in restaraunt who was golden......very friendly and knowledgable...always there to help in any way she could..........nothing was too much trouble.
O.K. ........ the rooms may be a little tired ( according to other revewers ) but the owners are still going through an updating programme which ALL takes time and care. All was clean , tidy and cosy .The radiator in our room was nice and warm on the one cool / rainy day we had and there was an AMAZING amount of piping hot water instantly at the tap .Lovely cosy towels always and room cared for every day by efficient staff. Really GOOD value and quality food served with excellent choices from a carefully thought out menu.Wine at sensible prices and food always fresh and piping hot , worth waiting whilst it was all prepared freshly and individually. The cooked breakfast was just amazing , with everthing you could ask for. Lovely location , quiet and peacful. Owners always on hand or around and about.
All in all..........booked via " GoGroupie" at special price which included a bottle of wine on 1st evening . Would definately stay again . Stuart and Julie .

1  Thank Stuart C