“Outdated and not just the decor”

The Urr Valley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
edinburgh
“Outdated and not just the decor”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I had read the reviews - but it was the only local hotel left for a late booking close to where we wanted to be and I saw the groupon deal so went for it. I did email though to say that I wanted to avoid some of the problems mentioned in the feedback. I also pointed out that I was vegetarian so that they would be aware and we'd get a good breakfast, The room was big and we liked it - despite it being dated. The shower was annoyingly weak but I had been expecting that so no big problem. One problem was the curtains let through the light and that woke me really early. Then the breakfast. It is a long time since I have been served with a veggie breakfast that was just missing the meat - nothing to replace the sausage, bacon, etc. My advice would be to get some veggie sausages in to keep all customers happy. The other big disappointment was that, if it was Angela who showed me the room, and I think it was - why didn't she introduce herself? We had communicated so she knew who I was but didn't say anything. The man who was around (I assume the other owner) didn't speak to us and was unfriendly start to finish. I also don't think it is a good idea to tell off the staff in front of customers - apparently some rooms on one side of the hotel had not been serviced properly and we heard the telling off for this. Not a happy atmosphere! We weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay but that was fine because we just wanted to get away asap. I should mention that the woman who served breakfast was friendly so that was nice.

5 Thank curlyed02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Ok so we got this deal from groupon... £39 for a night with breakfast and for that price you would think we couldn't complain. However I am writing on here to give an honest account for people thinking of going. The new owners have apparently been in a year and are doing things up slowly... So far only two rooms have been renovated.. Our room (1) a family room had yellow stained wallpaper ... Very dated fixture and fittings and dirty windows... Everything about the hotel needs an update... Corridor carpets were filthy... I didn't want my toddler to walk up stairs using her hands. We were greeted at reception by a guy with a t shirt and tattoos (nothing against them) but is this the first image the hotel wants to give?? A uniform would make things look more professional... And on checking out Boone asked us if we enjoyed our stay.. Just took the keys and said bye... Hmmm ... I hope that this once beautiful building gets the love and updates that it needs and I hope people go and support the new owners... I just think you should be prepared!! On another plus point... My husband enjoyed the full cooked breakfast and it was a huge portion.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Flyaway100

Travellers are raving about these Castle Douglas hotels

Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Juat back from 2 lovely nights at the Urr Valley Hotel. So relaxed. We stayed in room 20 which was a huge room with a four poster bed and 2 singles, en suite bathroom was spotless the views were amazing, and so peaceful. Ok it wasnt 4 star but i do prefer small and friendly. The food was excellent, and we ate in the hotel both nights, served by Ruth, who was professional, friendly and up for a bit of fun, my god that girl works, and is always so happy, it was a pleasure to be served by you Ruth. The owners were friendly too, nothing was too much trouble for anyone. The other residents were friendly too and the hotel served NO PORK Haggis,( i asked before arriving) which meant hubby could try it, he loved it and the potato cakes for breakfast. We had a very enjoyable 2 days, and will be back in september, Thanx URR VALLEY, (the only drawback we found was the amount of flies in the room, due to it being warm and opening the window but that was easily remied by a trip down to Tesco and a can of RAID).

Room Tip: Dont expect 5*, its friendly value for money and great pottential, Room 20 is amazing
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bev123015
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I always considered this place a wedding or party venue rather somewhere to go for a meal. Reviews in the past have been patchy so wasn't sure what to expect.

I visited today on a whim and was very impressed indeed. The menu had enough variety to suit all tastes. The food was delicious, high quality and arrived in large portions. The staff were friendly, cheerful and attentive. This resulted in four very happy customers who will definitely return.

The decor is a little tired in places but this is compensated by the lovely views over the fields and grounds.

So next time you're thinking of somewhere different to go give the Urr Valley a try, I'm glad that I did !!

2 Thank Ian538
North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

stayed here for two days with my partner for my 30th birthday which we got a deal from groupon costing £59 for two nights, breakfast and a bottle of wine, so for value for money was fantastic.
when we first arrived the man at receptionist wasn't really friendly...think he judged us for being a young partying couple and didn't seem very chatty (we were away to enjoy some peace and quiet without the kids).
the hotel itself needs a complete revamp, we were in the first room which was above the kitchen so unfortunately had to listen to listen to the staff on their breaks but the views and the land itself were amazingly beautiful. The rest of the staff were great and really friendly. breakfast was great and dinner was nice big portions for great value for money so cant complain :)
only about a 10-15minute walk to castle douglas town which is definitely a place to visit.
enjoyed our stay and would stay again but would only do through a deal as its definitely not worth the money through them personally.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Diane J
Sunderland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I really wanted to give this hotel a good review as the location and views are fantastic aswell as a lovely bunch of staff but there's a lot of things wrong with this hotel. When we arrived we received a warm welcome by the staff and were shown to our room which made a nice change. We were told the room had been recently refurbished so I was looking forward to seeing this but I think he was telling porkies as it certainly didn't look like it but I have to admit it was very clean and the view was breath taking and I didn't expect wonders off the price we paid. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever stayed in and it made terrible noises when you moved on it and there was no mattress protector on which I personally think is unhygienic. We had a bath, as the shower was pathetic, and the water was brown and left a terrible brown rim around when we emptied it. We felt dirtier after bathing then when we went in. Breakfast next morning was very nice, full Scottish breakfast with haggis, very impressive and well cooked so full marks for that. Castle Douglas is a lovely friendly place and everyone is so nice, we had beautiful weather which was such a bonus. The website does not tell you there is a working farm next door to the hotel, approx. 100 yards which is not a problem apart from the smell. I kept saying it was proper country air but wife did not agree haha. Its a great place to visit the countryside and totally relax and would definitely go back if they sorted the plumbing out

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ScottishJimbo
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Fantastic setting and only a ten minute walk into Castle Douglas. Large clean rooms and its fair to say a bit of updating is needed but as new owners they are working on it. I have to say we had an absolutely fantastic time. Angela and all the staff were so welcoming and couldn't do enough for all the guests. Its definetly on my list to revisit soon.

Room Tip: Ideal for familes/ groups as there at least two family rooms with a double and two singles.
4 Thank annie051
#1 of 3 in Gatehouse of Fleet
Auchenlarie Holiday Park
Auchenlarie Holiday Park
#1 of 5 in Castle Douglas

Been to The Urr Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!