“Fab 3 Day Break”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Fab 3 Day Break”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just back from a 3 day stay cannot fault the hotel for what we paid.
The Owners were so friendly and helpful, Grace the waitress was fab and had a great personality, Brett was also helpfull and friendly.
The room we had was spacious and clean, room 1.
The food was very good specially the breakfast it was fab.
THANKS URR VALLEY STAFF FOR MAKING OUR WEEKEND GOOD.

Room Tip: We stayed in a nice room but I would like a front room view
1 Thank Rosemary D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed in this hotel 2 weeks ago for 2 nights- 2 nights too long, seriously, after being shown room 16 we should have turned round and said no thanks. It was dark, depressing, furniture in our room looked like it had all come from the local dump, not remotely like any of the rooms in the hotel's adverts. Bathroom with cracked sink, cheap torn linoleum and broken shower over bath reminded me of the worst of bathrooms in the most basic of youth hostels from the 1960s. We didnt expect luxury, basic really would have been acceptable. Hotel advert said the hotel was being refurbished. I think this is very misleading - by this it implies there is work going on and improvements being made so you may be disturbed by ongoing works (a positive image) - it should actually say this hotel is in dire need of refurbishment. Any positive reviewers of this hotel could not have stay in our room. Although we were offered the same rate for our stay as a deal being offered at the same time, we cannot believe at any time the owners could ask for any more. The positives = clean sheets and clean towels, the surrounding scenery. Honestly hate to be so negative but what a disappointment - without a doubt this is the worst hotel we have stayed in for as long as we can remember - or if not the hotel, most certainly the room.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 16.
7 Thank gandrbuchan

Travellers are raving about these Castle Douglas hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Got married there just over 5 years ago so when going to a friends wedding thought it would be nice to stay again. What a disappointment from start to finish!! The most run down place I've stayed for a long time, funny smell in corridors (a bit like an old folks home), confirmation email said we had reserved a room with a 4 poster bed, & we booked this in June, but we didn't get one. Mentioned at reception & just got told oh we must have made a mistake, no apology or anything. Room was appalling first word that came to mind we're Hotel Inspector! Even pillowcases didn't match on bed. Breakfast was ok when we got it but had to wait over half an hour after ordering it. Won't be going back again ever!!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Maureen S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

All I am going to say is if you want to shower DON'T come here.
Feeble excuse from guy at reception just to get rid of you. It's bearly a trickle sorry just not good enough. Shame as well because even though decor is very dated a lot of the staff are very nice and it's the hotel that's the let down.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angel221166
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Bret the owners son was fantastic , grace worked like a Trojan never stopped , it's a great place to stay with beautiful views . Never met the chef but his food was fantastic , loved the hotel n will stay again

Tim n lynne

Room Tip: Room 2 was nice and quiet
edinburgh
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I had read the reviews - but it was the only local hotel left for a late booking close to where we wanted to be and I saw the groupon deal so went for it. I did email though to say that I wanted to avoid some of the problems mentioned in the feedback. I also pointed out that I was vegetarian so that they would be aware and we'd get a good breakfast, The room was big and we liked it - despite it being dated. The shower was annoyingly weak but I had been expecting that so no big problem. One problem was the curtains let through the light and that woke me really early. Then the breakfast. It is a long time since I have been served with a veggie breakfast that was just missing the meat - nothing to replace the sausage, bacon, etc. My advice would be to get some veggie sausages in to keep all customers happy. The other big disappointment was that, if it was Angela who showed me the room, and I think it was - why didn't she introduce herself? We had communicated so she knew who I was but didn't say anything. The man who was around (I assume the other owner) didn't speak to us and was unfriendly start to finish. I also don't think it is a good idea to tell off the staff in front of customers - apparently some rooms on one side of the hotel had not been serviced properly and we heard the telling off for this. Not a happy atmosphere! We weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay but that was fine because we just wanted to get away asap. I should mention that the woman who served breakfast was friendly so that was nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank curlyed02
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Ok so we got this deal from groupon... £39 for a night with breakfast and for that price you would think we couldn't complain. However I am writing on here to give an honest account for people thinking of going. The new owners have apparently been in a year and are doing things up slowly... So far only two rooms have been renovated.. Our room (1) a family room had yellow stained wallpaper ... Very dated fixture and fittings and dirty windows... Everything about the hotel needs an update... Corridor carpets were filthy... I didn't want my toddler to walk up stairs using her hands. We were greeted at reception by a guy with a t shirt and tattoos (nothing against them) but is this the first image the hotel wants to give?? A uniform would make things look more professional... And on checking out Boone asked us if we enjoyed our stay.. Just took the keys and said bye... Hmmm ... I hope that this once beautiful building gets the love and updates that it needs and I hope people go and support the new owners... I just think you should be prepared!! On another plus point... My husband enjoyed the full cooked breakfast and it was a huge portion.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 3 in Dalbeattie
Auchenlarie Holiday Park
Auchenlarie Holiday Park
#2 of 5 in Castle Douglas

Been to The Urr Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!