“Lovely Meal”

Dining options: Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Had a lovely family meal at the Laurie Arms, excellent food and drinks and friendly service. Good choice on menu.

• Visited September 2012

Rochdale, England, United Kingdom
“Great food and friendly staff”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Another good choice from the Good Beer Guide. The staff were very friendly and the food very good with good service. The Galloway Gold gets the thumbs up!

• Visited June 2013
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“the food”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Quite disappointing ..ordered liver,I asked could it be cooked through and not pink inside,some meats are cooked rare But Liver should be cooked properly.It was frazzled when I got it..I sent it back with no offer of an alternative or even an apology.So I went hungry..I was told I wasn't being charged??? as if I was paying,I got nothing to eat as the kitchen had closed.I sat while other members of my family ate dinner.
The year before,we had gone to eat at the Laurie Arms,it was a Friday night and very busy,a few locals where stood around the pub as seating was packed with diners.We sat near the fireplace,and awful smells where coming our way,even the party on the next table got a whiff.To guys with big smiles on their faces where actually stood up near our table blowing wind.I don't know how they could find that so amusing,I had to refrain my brother from making a scene.I ended up leaving my fish and chips,my brother also had to leave his food.My bill was £16 and my brothers was £25 for food we left on the table.No-one bothered to ask why we hadn't eaten the food.So we won't be eating there again.

• Visited August 2012
5 Thank fern l
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Great food, real ale and real atmosphere”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

The "Camra's Good Beer Guide" steered us well again. A traditional Inn style bar with a superb range of well kept ales and a fantastic menu. The main menu was mainly safe standard fare pub food, with the more adventurous dishes on the extensive specials supplementary sheet.

Very friendly and welcoming staff and a lovely atmosphere.
My meal was a starter of poached egg on asparagus spears and was cooked perfectly. Followed with Pheasant in red wine jus and finishing off with Sticky toffee pud. Portions were ample, indeed we had a long break before ordering dessert and we shared it between the 2 of us. Everything was cooked perfectly and well price for the quality served.

Indeed, we enjoyed it enough to return 3 nights later and quality was just as good going for good old traditional Haddock & Chips with home made tartar sauce.

Recommended.

• Visited May 2013
Yatton, United Kingdom
“Worth a detour from the busy A75”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We know Dumfries and Galloway well, and often stop off at The Laurie Arms before the long drive back to SW England. Following our most recent visit last week, I can report :- a welcoming. roaring fire on a chilly, damp May lunchtime; a smiling barmaid who seemed happy in her work; a 'safe' menu; a selection of real ales (not available to me - as my wife's designated driver - I'm afraid) and an excellent selection of 1950/60s Bamforth's saucy postcards in the Gents.
All in all, a great little boozer, and an asset to Haugh of Urr.

• Visited May 2013