“Best hotel in cd” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crown Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castle Douglas
Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Castle Douglas
“Best hotel in cd”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I had a warm welcome when i arrived colin and lexi cant do enough for me the food is very nice bug porions the menu as a wide selection of meals aslo there is a special board which is update eveyday the room are big also they are clean and tidy.
I would come here again very pleased

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Skipton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

When we arrived at The Crown Hotel restraunt, the atmosphere was seriously lacking, the waitresses seemed un-enthusiastic, and their uniforms were dirty, Giving us a clear impression that their hygiene standards weren't that good! My starter costing £4.30 was of ok standard nothing special for the price, obviously frozen fruit as I couldn't pick it up! NOW the Sirloin Steak costing £11.95 we all choose, the Steak came with over cooked chips and a so called pepper corn sauce, well u can't really call it pepper corn sauce as it was just cream! After we were asked if everything was ok, we informed the waitress that the steak was not cooked how we asked, their was no dressing on the plate or veg, and the chips were over cooked, she then went to tell the so called chef, then a elderly women came out of the kitchen in a apron, not chef whites, not very professional! She then started to TOUCH the steak and called us liars, then she picked up a chip and opened it up and shoved it in front of our faces saying it fluffy! After the waitress said thats enough, the so called Chef called my friend a Young Man when she was a WOMEN!! Then she started asking our age! She then decided to talk about us to a group of girls and started to laugh not knowing we could hear them!! They didn't apologise or offer compensation! All in all it felt like you was sat In a 1950's old fashioned supposedly restaurant with stacking chairs not very well hidden behind the door, and old carpet!! As I work In a restaurant my self I know the standards what one should obtain, and also my cousin been a chef noticed the lack of hygiene standards!! Just DON'T go, if she does that with food in front of you what does she do in that kitchen! HEALTH AND SAFETY DISASTER!!! As I took pictures I will upload them shortly!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jack V
Falkirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

stayed at Crown in May on a bowling trip and booked again with my wife 9th.-11th. Aug. The usual warm welcome. Given room 7 which was a family room very large WELL DECORATED VERY CLEAN and bathroom was more than adequate and also VERY CLEAN. We thought being asked what time we wanted breakfast was an EXCELLENT idea as you could have a lie in if you were out late, at a birthday party for example, and could decide when to eat breakfast , which was huge, like all meals and 1st. class quality. Sarah was very accommodating, as were all the staff, to ensure everything was as it should be and even had my wife in the kitchen for a wee blether and my wife was impressed with the standard of health and hygine (wife does catering for local community centre). Entertainment was good and locals were very friendly and there is a British Legion across the road if you prefer less youthfull company although I think some people forget they were young once themselfs. Police presence on Fri/Sat nights due to 'young yins' enjoying the 4 venues in this area was 1 PATROL CAR constantly circling the venues and seemed to work as in 2 visits to the Crown I've never seen any hastle inside or outside. My wife enjoyed herself so much we stayed an extra night( or was it because we ate to much) and has told Alexis and Colin we will definately be back. Well done everyone especially 'Young Sarah' looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

The only reason I gave this one point was because it was the lowest option offered! Hubby and I booked in here to attend a birthday party in Castle Douglas. On arrival hotel bar was very busy and we had to wait about 20 mins for the manager to come to book us in. That took about another 20 mins with the aid of a dog-eared book and included us having to decide the night before what time we wanted breakfast! Eventually we were handed keys and waved upstairs to room 6. First impressions were that the room was very small, hardly any room to get up the sides of the bed and no bedside tables or wardrobe. Bathroom was tired looking but seemed clean enough until I went to wash my hands and I noticed the hand towel which was absolutely filthy! This made us look at the other towels and they were ALL filthy! We then pulled the duvet back to find one side had drops of what looked like fresh blood! That was enough, we were off! When we told the manager he suggested that maybe the room hadn't been cleaned yet - this was around 8.45pm!!! Hubby demanded a refund and we were offered a better and bigger room - if they had such a thing why we're we not offered this at the start?! Anyway, we had had enough but, by the time a refund was sorted out, we felt it was too late to go to the party and we drove another 2 hours home - 4 hour round trip for nothing! This hotel is a disgrace and the owners should be ashamed and embarrassed to try to charge £75 a night for the room we were given. We will never be back. If that was the state of their rooms, what is the kitchen like? Thank God we were spared having to stay for breakfast! If you're in Castle Douglas and this is the only place to stay, do yourself a favour and get out as fast as you can!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mumzilla84
Burntwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Being new to this area we have adopted 'The Crown' as our local. We are always welcomed with friendly faces from ALL of the staff of this hotel, special attention ALWAYS given to our 14 year old dog...Rosie the Springer who is always welcomed...and greeted with fresh meat snacks!
We are always amazed with the choice, quality & quantity of the meals we are served.....keep up this service and we will keep coming!

• Stayed August 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdomingham, Alabama, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was my second year staying at the Crown Hotel in Castle Douglas (Scotland) and I must admit Colin, Alexa and Sarah made me feel very welcome again, nothing was to much trouble for them.

The food and service was both excellent. I came back weighing more than when I went.

The locals made me very welcome, some even remembered me from last year. This made the holiday for me as I was made to feel "one of the crowd".

Good weather, good accommodation, good food, good company, good surroundings - what more could you ask for in a holiday. Everything you needed was there.

I will most certainly be back again next year and look forward to seeing you all then.

Keep up the good work and don't think about leaving.

Francis.

Room Tip: If you a light sleeper who enjoys having the window open in the nice weather ask for a room at the r...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mandy066
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

An average and pleasant hotel with very friendly owners, just a real shame about the saturday evening bar scene. This is definitely not a place to stay with a young family or for older/retired people. The place is packed with booze fuelled locals who are hostile to visitors and the atmosphere volatile. That's why the police are waiting in the streets adjacent to the hotel - we asked them!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Bruce Hotel
Bruce Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newton Stewart

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!