“Great Hotel with a friendly atmosphere”
Review of Crown Hotel

Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Castle Douglas
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The Crown is a small 14 bedroom hotel which has an excellent restaurant and a lively bar.
You are made most welcome by the Manageress Margaret who is vey obliging.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ring4it

Reviewed 28 September 2008

Recently taken over by a young couple who have started a long overdue redecoration of the hotel. The couple couldn't have been more pleasant. Our dinner on Saturday was excellent and I would recommend the Crown Hotel, Castle Douglas to anyone who wants an excellent meal. I am sure that when the decoration is complete this hotel will be worth an Excellent. Godd luck to the new owners they deserve to do well.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 13 April 2007

i stayed at the Crown hotel in Castle Douglas in February,initially with my husband and three teenage chidren for a night, and then by myself for a further three nights while i had some family obligations to attend to.The rooms were pleasant and comfortable, and the triple room shared by my three teens was especially spacious.Our double bed was perhaps a bit small, and i was glad I only had my six footer husband there for one night, but to be fair that is often a problem for us due to his height.
However the best part of an already good stay was definitely the breakfast.Freshly cooked, great variety, and plenty of it-and served with a smile and a chat.As i was on my own for most of the stay i appreciated the fact that I could eat in the dining room without feeling self concious.I've stayed in a good few hotels and this breakfast surpassed all others!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 7 March 2007

Online booking not confirmed until followup email produced "sorry, very busy" phone call. (Only one other room occupied when we were there!)
Entry difficult because of two large black plastic bags which lay in doorway for some hours.
Evening meal (in bar - restaurant not in use) overcooked (my steak pie gravy was burnt onto the plate at the edges).
Handrail on stairs to bedroom not dirty, but FILTHY. 5 minutes with Pledge would have removed the encrusted grey grime.
Mattress and bedding piled beside our room door from our arrival to departure.
Room door had been forced and jamb holding catch loosely held in place but definitely not secure.
TV as advertised, but only a wire loop aerial giving an unwatchable picture on Ch 1–4, 5 unavailable.
Bedside lights flickered on and off.
Very rainy night, and water dripped from ceiling above bow window seat (obvious hole in ceiling plaster).
Shower tiles had areas of stained grouting–not inviting.
Breakfast: bacon overcooked (black at edges), tomatoes not cooked, just warmed a bit.

Have photos but they appear too small in the review format to make sense.

Great pity. We'd stayed in the Crown three times in past years (reason we booked this time), and found none of this! Believe fairly recent change of ownership???

2  Thank rastraou
Reviewed 4 January 2005

I recently stayed at the crown hotel, i found the owners very offhand and rude. I was berated by the landlady for simply forgetting my card pin number, a hanging offence for a buisness person!!! O n paying my bill not once was i asked if i enjoyed my stay or if everything was ok. It appears the owners are simply in the process of making money, I was not even wished a safe trip home.

15  Thank moonfox
#1 of 4 in Kirkcudbright
The Birchtree Hotel
The Birchtree Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dalbeattie

Been to Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!