“Threave Castle Gardens go there!”
Review of Threave Garden

Threave Garden
Hertfordshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Threave Castle Gardens go there!”
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Well worth the visit (early May 09), acres of beautifully maintained grounds in a lovely setting, some rare species, spacious and well run cafe/restaurant with children's play area. Can't wait to go again later in the season.

2 Thank Mayfield13

Scotland, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 518 helpful votes
“Garden of Delight”
Reviewed 12 June 2007

I've been to Threave Gardens on a couple of occasions and if you are on a tour of Dumfries and Galloway and want a pleasant place to stop, then this Scottish National Trust place has much to offer.

I'm so glad that the Galloway Belties (cows with a white stripe down the middle) are still in the field by the car park to greet visitors and picnicers. They are not real, but full size replicas, and are loved by me as much as by my kids.

Threave gardens is well cared for by enthusiastic staff who seem to enjoy the opportunity to share their passion. No visit is complete without a cuppa and a cake, or something more substantial in Threave's cafe. Unfortunately we arrived a little late for lunch on our recent visit and there were only a handful of cakes left by late afternoon. Mind you, the scrummy millionaire's caramel shortbread went down a treat!

It was a hot spring day, so we sat at the tables outside and were joined by some of the most colourful and bold little birds, who were quite happy to come sit at the table with you. Lovely.

As I am a member of the Scottish National Trust and don't have to pay for each individual visit to a property I try and spend a little money at each place. During spring and summer this is particularly easy for me as most of them have excellent plant sales at pretty favourable prices too. This time I bought three of the same flowering plant - a sort of colourful daisy that opens when the sun shines. They look a treat in my garden!

Dumfries and Galloway is an attractive region for exploring and a great place to escape the Rat-Race. Threave is one of its many little jewels and I thoroughoy recommend it.

4 Thank Purple C