“Overpriced and underwhelming”

Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Maho
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Bamboo is an urban industrial feeling restaurant decorated with Asian design elements, and offering a contemporary menu of Latin and Asian-inspired menu items. Bamboo has a world-class Sushi Bar, described in many publications and reviews as New York-style Sushi with a Caribbean twist. To top it off, Bamboo also features a fun, young, and dynamic bar and lounge area known as the Buddha Lounge, where our bartenders are itching to entertain. A resident DJ spins classic funk, soul, electro and lounge music on the weeknights which keeps the place buzzing until late. We serve food late into the night. Reservations are strongly encouraged, especially during high season.
New Orleans, LA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced and underwhelming”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our group was a party of five. We arrived and were seated promptly but the great experience ended there. Our server arrived 15 minutes later to take drink orders. We ask for water and were given a $12 bottle of Evian. Be sure to ask for tap water. When the food finally arrived it came in spurts. Everyone's food arrived at a different time. The food was OK but nothing noteworthy. Our server was rarely if ever to be found. The real surprise came when the bill was delivered. Tip (15%) was included for a party of five with a bill of almost $200. The service wasn't worth that payoff. As an avid sushi eater, I'd say it was okay but seriously underwhelming, noisy, and dramatically overpriced. Would NOT return.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Marler5

Los Angeles, California
“Hit or Miss at Bamboo Bernie's”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have been eating at Bamboo Bernie's for at least eight or nine years. I have gone with big groups for celebratory dinners, and for intimate dinners with my husband. The food has always been sensational and the service was always good-until recently. I don't like to write negative reviews and especially about Bamboo Bernies, because I have always been a huge fan. I'm not sure if it was just an "off" night or what, but THE SERVICE WAS DEPLORABLE! After sitting down, we waited for 20 minutes for someone to take our drink order. Then another 20 minutes for someone to take our order. We ordered one appetizer to share, and that arrived another 15 minutes later. When our entrees finally came we had been sitting there for an hour. What made matters worse was the entrees came in stages. We had ordered the fried rice as a side dish, and we received everything BUT the fried rice, until we were done with the rest of our entrees. Throughout the time we were there, we constantly tried to flag down a server and we were ignored. After almost two hours, we finally got the attention of the manager, and she took the fried rice off our bill. We never got an apology. Even though the food is good, it's not enough to make us want to go back and sit through HORRIBLE SERVICE. I'm sorry to say, we will find another place on the island that has better service.

• Visited April 2014
BalyDesigns, Guest Relations Manager at Bamboo, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
We're very sorry to learn of your experience at Bamboo. We always try our best to offer all our patrons the quality and service that they have grown accustom to. Although there might be a few occasions where we may fall short, and for that we thoroughly apologize.

If you would be so kind as to give us your contact info via FB or at info@bamboobernies.net, Our general manager will contact you directly and see if there's anything we can do to give us a second chance.

Management.
Trinidad
“GREAT place”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Loved the food, loved the place. Really nice setting. Lovely little restaurant with really good service and really good food. Wished we went earlier on in our trip so that we had time to go back before we left St. Maarten. I don't eat sushi AT ALL but I tried the Angry Dragon Roll and it was AWESOME! May have converted me to being a sushi fan. We also had the vegetable dumplings and the steak... really, really awesome! Would DEFINITELY go back!

• Visited May 2014
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Sushi with a twist”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you are a true sushi officionado this NOT the place for you. They take sushi rolls and put their own spin on it. My husband is a purist and did not enjoy it as much as my son and I. I will say that the sashimi was very good. We also tried some of the Non sushi items like dumplins and satay which were all quite tasty.
The service at the beginning of the evening was very good, but I think a well know customer came in and sat close to us, after that we were begging for anyone to take us on as our waiter completely ignored us. If I could I would go back again.

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Sushi at its best”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We have been coming to St. Maarten for almost 20 years and without a doubt the meal we had at Bamboo is one of the best quality Sushi we have ever had the pleasure of eating. The service was outstanding. They have dropped "Bernies" off their name but not the quality or very reasonable prices.